1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

nuDynasty Episode Chat S204 Snowflakes In Hell

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by tommie, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Deleted post.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Ditto, why too. (Or maybe the how answers the why.) The 'Netflix Original' label confuses folk. I've seen messages left on YT asking Netflix to do this, that or the other about a programme, only for others to say that the programme isn't Netflix's production, it only leases the license to stream it internationally. Go figure.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,458
    Sammy Jo is the only one who knows how to enjoy the Dynasty life.

upload_2018-11-7_3-25-17.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    They ‘needed’ a foreign country because this episode is made up of ideas drawn from their Netflix brethren The Rise of Phoenixes. I’ve no absolute proof of this, but believe it to be true on the balance of probabilities. The signs are there, no piñata:

In TRoP, the main kingdom of focus is Tiansheng Kingdom. There’s some action also in two neighbouring kingdoms: Jinshi Kingdom & Dayue Kingdom. ...Think of the USA as a stand-in for Tiansheng.

Why does the action move to Jinshi & Dayue? The Princess Shengying, a Tiansheng woman, moves to Jinshi to marry its king. Then she falls into the hands of a prince from Dayue – who takes her to a place called Puyuan, which is in the border city of Pucheng, in Dayue. …Think Paraguay as the stand-in for Puyuan/Pucheng.

Three men work independently to locate her, then find they need to band together in an uneasy truce/alliance to try and get her back.

Register or to view Spoiler content!

No worries. Blake is whoever and whatever the showrunners want him to be in any given episode. Ditto for the rest of the cast. In a few episodes or less his personality will be different.

Even here, he’s a choirboy compared to some of the princes in TRoP, notably the 1st & another of the princes of Tiansheng.

Hair in top-knots, angry mommas & princes, broken pottery & cut arrows, injured officials & servants, bowed and shuffling eunuchs, all are part of the TRoP landscape. …Think Blake & his “mad” hair; the things he threw and broke; the bleeding Tony. (That last possibly could have been a nod to James McKay, who was sent to hospital after being injured on set from a falling camera; or possibly an idea inspired by those folk who were left bleeding from the arm in TRoP.)

Speaking of injuries – there is danger from needles and hairpins to hidden knives in TRoP. ….Think Blake saying he’d rather stick needles in his eyes & helpfully pointing out where the knives are kept.

Blake must really trust Cristal II. But, for how long?

In TRoP’s royal circles, poison pill popping is almost a way of life when palace intrigues are afoot, not just for dispensing death but also for faking illnesses and ensuring compliance in some scheme. Trust runs high, perhaps naively, that there are antidote pills to be had. In Puyuan, poison pills, patients, doctors, nanny and nursemaid-servants all play a part. …Think Blake, his ‘condition’ and his newfound nursemaid-nanny & pill supplier.

Wonder what Cristal II will be next week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    As was pointed out by Michael T, it was O.Dynasty which first used the phrase “snowflakes in hell”; in S4E05 in a conversation between Alexis & Blake:
    Only this time on cwDynasty S2E04, it’s said by Blake to Joe.
    And there are zingers of home truths, coming mostly from Steven.

Similarly too, truth gets discussed in The Rise of Phoenixes.
    The Tiansheng prince comments: “That’s the truth you wanted to hear. There are so many truths in this world. Are we really happier when we know the truth?”

About how truly original the cwDynasty team is being in clobbering together its simple story? Speaking for myself, no.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,458
    Wooo! Woooo!
    upload_2018-11-7_13-37-58.png

Alexis can be such a hoot sometimes. I'm beginning to like her more and more.

The humour on NuDynasty has improved massively. Just think of that annoying, not-so-funny magazine photoshoot with Fallon and Cristal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,458
    Aw, so sweet.
    upload_2018-11-7_14-14-20.png
    I hope he's coming back, I don't want another Steven.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,807
    I'm wondering if the other posters see the chemistry both Fallon (Elizabeth) and Steven (James) share on-screen. Between season 1 and 2 the producers discussed exploring the relationship between Fallon and Alexis. So far I don't think it's working but on the few occasions when it's just Fallon and Steven there is something innocent and sweet on display. Perhaps if the writers further explored this relationship in the difficulty both had without Alexis and preoccupied Blake in their lives, would be something the audience could warm to. Viewers often like to feel empathy for a character, someone to root for. It looks like the couple Dynasty should have been focusing on was right under their nose all along.

Now that Steven has mysteriously disappeared until Christmas I'm going to miss these two together. Another oddity. Steven has just learned who is father really is. Anders and Steven didn't really get to explore that fully.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Kirby’s returned to the manor after a long time exiled. She and Anders need time and space to really reconnect. Better, I think, that Steven not be here now. Time enough for them to explore their relationship later. Hopefully, nothing happens to Steven (and it’s James Mackay who returns). As it is, Sam’s got a 2nd father-in-law to better get to know too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    And he already has a good relationship with Anders anyway, so at least there's that. :D

11. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Mama & papa.
    Alexis and Anders.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Oh, Anders....you don't know where that earring has been. :re:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Linda Evans once said in an interview that, during a time when fans were being given a tour of the set while filming was going on, John Forsythe took her earrings and put them on himself as a joke.

History repeats itself yet again (kinda)! :D :D :D

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    They politely left out a minor detail: Forsythe clipped her earrings on his nipples and did that whole "twirling tassels" thing for the shocked fans. After that, there were fewer and fewer set tours.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    True, but the relationship between them is no longer that of the nice/kindly house-help and the relative of the employer. It remains to be seen whether the new status of their relationship will translate meaningfully to the screen.

16. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Alan Dale reminds me of Yul Brynner playing the King of Siam in The King and I, outdoing Brynner by the size of his bling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,807
    Up until "Snowflakes In Hell" I liked the character of Sam. But the writers did something to the character in this episode which worried me. The character doesn't work, for a living. He is just there, roaming the halls of the Carrington mansion, enjoying the spoils and smooching off the Carrington family. The scene where he employed an army of people to have a passport photo just reeked of desperation from the writers to create another funny scene. Surely most here on Soapchat understand the requirements in securing a passport photograph. I mean, this is not even escapism entertainment, or better still, guilty viewing, it's just silly nonsense. This is where the writers are failing the viewer. Don't treat me like an idiot or I'll return serve with kind.

So. What now for Sam? His former bestie Celia is gone and now his husband. I'm kind of interested what the writers will do with Sam but at the moment he is in limbo.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Sam is just there. I have never liked him (both character and the actor playing him) and he doesn't even have a purpose in this show. They will probably introduce some new guy while Steven is gone and Sam is going to fall head over heels for him. Ugh.

19. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    I think antics like that "passport photo shoot" are what he gets up to when he is in limbo. Sam, who grew up in grinding poverty and uncertainty, would obviously be reluctant to return to a similar situation, even if he is only visiting and is a 'have' rather than a 'have not' now. The photo shoot nonsense looked like his "palate cleanser," something to shake off the unhappiness that may have been dredged up when/if he saw people in Paraguay living like he did in Venezuela. Yes, it was self-indulgent and wasteful, but it looks as if the Carringtons don't care about his extravagances.

But yes, it does irritate me that Sam does not exhibit any kind of career ambitions. He spends all that money frivolously and makes no effort to appear as if he's pulling his weight around there. I can't stand a mooch. His brief (but productive) turn as Fallon's assistant was an attempt at giving him a job, but that went nowhere. The whole "living off the Carringtons" thing was charming for a while, but it's wearing thin now that he is one of them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,458
    And as long as they get paid, they won't bother to tell him that those pictures are not eligible for passports.
    I didn't see it as a joke, I like Daniel's explanation but maybe it doesn't go that deep.
    I think this show is a lot about displaying eye candy and extravagance that may or may not be relevant to a storyline.

Like the characters on ODynasty wore ballgowns and tiaras for dinner, they didn't need a special event for that.
    Yes, well, that's what Sammy Joes do.
    Buying fur coats and putting peanuts in the cola.

He's sexy, cute, self-indulgent, lazy...oh I could eat him up!
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2