nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E13: Even Worms Can Procreate

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,428
    Medals:
    Is that relevant, I mean it really only takes 1 bullet to kill someone. Or is it not possible to fire a gun when it, s not fully loaded?

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Medals:
    How do you think russian roulette is played? Does someone die every time someone pulls the trigger?

3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,428
    Medals:
    The amount of bullets refers to the idea that she actually fired the gun. In case there was no other shooter involved, it could only be a bullet (even if it was only one) coming from her gun.
    And if she didn't fire the gun at all then it also doesn't matter how many bullets she didn't have.

o_O

But since they did show the bullets dropping on the floor, I wonder if the original plan was to show a failed suicide attempt. She puts the gun in her mouth, fires and…*click* Because that scenario doesn't make sense if we were to believe that the gun was fully loaded. Unless she would spot a bullet on the floor right after the suicide attempt.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    I think Alexis fired the gun at the same time Blake's henchman shot Mark. As she was drunk, she did not notice that no bullet came from her gun.

Of course, if she had fired the gun at several times, the few bullets she had in her rifle would have killed Mark (or herself).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +535
    It was a much better episode than 10, 11 and 12. And yes, the characters seemed much more truthful anf real, not like those parody versions of themselves we have seen so much of earlier in the season. Even Mark Jennings seemed like an interesting and even nice man - not a shady playboy like the original version. I was shocked to see him die so early after his entrance but it might be only for the best. Finally something meaty and dramatic to work with for Nicollette. Thank God! She is really good at these unexpected dramatic scenes. I was shocked to see her planning a suicide but there have been some signs in the past few episodes - depression, no purpose, her character feeling directionless, lonely, unwanted and abandoned by the family. What a great cliffhanger. They did a really great job with that scene, even better and much more shocking than the original! I am still shocked.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Medals:
    I've said it time and time again - I do think they do have an overall arc going on, they just have to get better at writing in the down time from between point A to point B to point C etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. xab

xab Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +230
    This show is such a Titanic fiasco that everytime an episode is above the sinking line it's considered as a masterpiece...

What now? It only takes 42 minutes, a few mean lines from a fresh mean nemesis and a bottle of whisky to drive a ( supposed) she-devil to commit suicide ? Suicide! Alexis! It makes NO sense. You're a grade A bitch and you want to die because people are not so kind to you...?

Joan would be ashamed of you, Nicolette!

This is just cliffhanger for the sake of cliffhanger. ( Remember The Colbys Samms abduction...?)

What next? Steven turns into a womanizer because he came across Miss Linda Lovelace movies on dad's laptop?

Come on...
    Comedy or "drama", it's lazy writing.

Cheap crap.

And I wouldn't be that surprised if Sheridan left the boat... ( You read it here first)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    Peach Dynasty will never be a show I will set to watch anymore, unless I read there is a reason to (such as Liam, or many posters reporting that it was an unusual episode). I, like @Willie Oleson, no longer consider this Dynasty, homages aside. In fact, the whole Fallon-Culhane plot was like a reheated frozen plot from "Gossip Girl," down to Fallon's grimaces stolen from Blair's. I would say that I find the writers' insistence on these two as a pair incomprehensible but, really, I could care less whom Fallon ends up with. Final scene with Cristal aside, I see her a completely ruined character. As for Sam, I keep hoping the show will realize the gem they have in the actor and give him a significant arc, but he is in one-off after another, a series of plot quickies. Sad that Kirby, who seemed to hold promise at first, and Anders, once an imposing presence, have now entered the same fiddling universe as Bo and Tony.

But the Cristal-Mark-Blake plot, that was very much Dynasty, and thus felt and looked like a different show from the other scenes. First, the actor playing Mark is not just hot and has a ridiculously sexy voice and imposing height, but he makes for a plausible antagonist to Blake. One of the few reasons to have a reboot is to fix the mistakes of the original, and boy did they get so many things wrong with his character and the potential back in the 80s (a lot thanks to the Evans/Forsythe demand for the unbreakable Krystle and Blake @tommie already mentioned). I am sure in the end peach Dynasty won't prove me wrong and again will turn the story and the character to farce, but in that one episode they did not hit a single wrong note.

Blake, as others observed, got a lot of his gravitas back in that episode, including his menacing nature which John Forsythe fought and was successful in getting rid of--with disastrous results for the character and the show. And the way the show had Cristal harbor feelings for Mark, coupled with the dark past with her family added lots of layers with good potential.

Finally, Alexis. As @Brian Carrington Colby wrote, she seemed to be at a crossroads with this episode. Though I don't know how much will really change (this is peach Dynasty, after all) the show seemed to be having a serious hangover from all the drunken plot and dialogue they have written for her, destroying the most iconic villainess of the prime time soap universe. But are the writers really trying to stay sober? Or are they hoping for some viewers and critics to enable them with praise and then get on a binge again? Only March will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    In short, yes. The writers could run a successful political campaign for a candidate, or at least prep them for a debate. They are masters at lowering expectations.

10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Medals:
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,428
    Medals:
    In this day and age of hi-tech forensic science it shouldn't be too difficult to prove that the bullet didn't come from her gun.
    Of course it's possible that there will be confusion, maybe an hysterical confession, who knows.
    Maybe she reads the soapchat forum?
    But look what happened since she returned after Tom's death. She still has nothing and everybody hates her. She's a complete failure.

But:
    Right. One great scene doesn't undo all the nonsense that came before. To me it doesn't matter what kind of character Alexis is as long as they allow the actress to portray her in a compelling way. Otherwise what's the point of having Nicolette Sheridan in it?
    The biggest mistake being: abandoned and sabotaged plotlines.
    Cristal's death + time jump = epic fail. They sabotaged their very first interesting plotline, and this is only the second season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,268
    Medals:
    I don't even remember that there has been another Tony already! :confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I'm hoping this will finally spur Alexis to take some action and control in her life. I always felt in the original Dynasty that we really didn't see Alexis struggle as much. She seemed to have everything handed to her after the death of Cecil, so at least the show is now showing Alexis at a low point in her life and will start the climb back up to the queen she used to be.

With that said, I do hope this new character Mark stays live. These writers don't understand the value of certain characters, only going for gasp/shock moments without looking at the long term picture. I often think had the show not killed Matthew off at the start of season 1.. the show could have had a compelling Blake/Celia/Matthew/Claudia quadangle going for season 1. Killing Matthew off so quickly short-changed Celia (since the two actors had great chemistry) and short-changed Claudia (who was the outsider thinking how crazy this family was.. much like in the original show).. plus made Claudia too crazy too quick instead of letting her stay on for at least a full season.

Lastly, Nicolette Sheridan is capable of playing drama... she did play Paige Matheson on Knots Landing in the 80s/early 90s.. and was that shows Fallon Carrington after all. I think the current writers are only remembering her Desperate Housewife character and being good at one liners and slapstick.. and not recalling her abilities at playing non-slapstick/camp.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Brian Carrington Colby

Brian Carrington Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +134
    What I find interesting, now that we are more than halfway through Season 2, is that the show still hasn't figured out what it is supposed to be, and how to deliver it. I think the problem is the producers want a youth-oriented Gossip Girl type show full of young, twenty-something year old characters, but are trying to shoehorn a show concept like Dynasty, a show that focused on it's more mature characters to great success, to achieve that. As much as I love Liz Gilles and Rafael De La Fuente, by making the show completely about Fallon and Sam, the other characters have become nothing more than supporting players and have greatly suffered to the detriment of the show. The last two week's ski lodge hi-jinx episode and Fallon's depression episode are prime examples of this. Those two episodes were written like bad sitcoms. And I hate to say this, but those two episodes show how little compelling story material these two characters can generate when the focus is completely on them week after week. One thing the original night-time dramas were good at recognizing was that these shows are an ensemble piece of work. Some weeks a character's storyline is front and centre, other weeks not as much. It allowed for all the characters to be developed and it allowed storylines to breath and hopefully evolve in an organic way. Isn't it amazing that after being under-utilized and being given negligible character development for half the season, Blake and Cristal and even Alexis are suddenly the best part of this episode once they are given some screen time and a credible storyline to develop their characters?

Though it may be too late in the game, if this show is going to succeed creatively, it has to let go of the Gossip Girl Wannabe/Liz & Rafael Show mentality and embrace at least some of what made Dynasty the success it onetime was.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,428
    Medals:
    I also find it interesting that they wrote so much clown-y yet unfunny scenes for Alexis, and then in her dramatic moment there's some unintentional but really funny humour.
    It's that moment when she's about to kill herself and then she's (disrespectfully) interrupted by the sound of horses and Cristal's laughter.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Fallon really dragged this episode down for me. I can't stand how immature she constantly acts. If she wants to be taken seriously at all she needs to stop giving people reasons to look at her as if she's a silly child. It would be one thing if she was a teen but she's not, she's in her mid-20s (?), she's a college graduate and she takes every opportunity to tell Blake and others that she's qualified to do the big girl adult jobs, it would be nice if any of her actions reflected that.

As for the rest of the episode, I liked it better than the last one but I'm still waiting to get a better idea of where the plot is going overall. I feel like every episode we get a slightly different twist on the direction of the characters so even when it looks promising you can't be sure that plot will be followed through.

A comment about Alexis too, I wish we would see her doing something other than sneaking around the mansion and the grounds. I want to see her doing something proactive about her situation rather than relying on destroying everyone close to Blake in order to move up the ladder herself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Medals:
    Well, is it a wonder why Alexis would try to murder her only to unintentionally murder Cristal's ex husband?

She was being Very Rude in the midst of Alexis's Very Traumatic Moment. It's justified homicide!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Yes, I was thinking of a hysterical confession too.

By the way, it is nuDynasty so there will be no trial, and everything will be settled in ten minutes, just like when Ted Dinard jumped from a window last year.
    It's ironical that her character in Desperate Housewives also tried to commit suicide at some point because she felt empty and useless...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Medals:
    Edie faked her suicide attempt. It wasn't serious - it was to try and trap Carlos into a relationship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Edie never actually tried to kill herself on Desperate Housewives. It was just a ploy to get back with her former boyfriend and make him pay for dumping her. They made it seem like a legit suicide for the viewers and ended season 3 with it as a cliffhanger. It was a great move, people were interested in the show again for some time. Nicollette did not even appear at The Emmys that year and she was not included in the promos for the entire summer, left out of the press conferences, interviews. It was all very clever because people really thought she was leaving the show for good. She actually left 18 months after this and we all know how that happened. Yikes.:popcorn::hat:

• Agree Agree x 1