nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E19: This Illness of Mine

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, May 2, 2019.

?

What do you want for Jeff?

Poll closed May 16, 2019.
  1. more and better storylines!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. get rid of him!

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. no opinion. I'm just glad that the poll is back!

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I have nothing to say except for that this episode bored me. I really hope it gets better but I'm not confident it will.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Maybe she goes to Moldavia. At least this time Moldavia is an independent country, and according to Google, there are some plastic surgery facilities around. Who knows, maybe she meets a dying or, to be accurate, an expiring royal family member who marries her and become Princess, Duchess or Queen...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,606
    Medals:
    Heck, maybe her plastic surgeon turns out to be the King. European royals are allowed to have "real jobs" these days. And soap opera plastic surgeons always seem to fall in love with their patients. It's a venn diagram waiting to happen.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Ferdnand Colby

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yeah. I'm not sure if I could say it was a filler episode, a bad episode, a blending of future arcs not happening, a randomly developed episode... but yeah, it was boring.

Now, I have thousands of questions. Shouldn't Alexis be angrier?, I mean, angry, after that guy who is supposed to be her son, literally burnt her face and maybe tried to kill her. Shouldn't Monica & Jeff be after the Carrington money, or activities, or be part of whatever CA or Atlantix are supposed to be, considering they are Carringtons too? That should be a battle covered by TMZ, E! and social media, I guess.
    And Fallon, shouldn't she be working? I try to see her as the Ivanka version of Georgia, but shouldn't she be a workaholic type of girl? A corporate bitch? And Sam? God, Sam should be sad, I mean he was happily ever after a few months ago, but his husband left to whatever country he chose to run away, then he was institutionalized, and then divorced! And it's not even a year!

5. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Writers surely don't have compassion. If they're not able to write decent, moral compass character, maybe it's because they're not themselves; i mean, if you have a little knowledge of what compassion his, you can relate to whatever someone faces. Do the writers really think that a woman who had her face severely burned, on purpose by a stranger (yes, Adam is her son, yet he's a total stranger to her) would feel confortable in his presence ?? In what universe someone can feel confortable in this kind of situation ? I get that Alexis can't expose him as he can blackmail her and reveal that she faked the DNA test. But she shouldn't feel so confortable with him.

I don't care if she's happy with her new face and feels younger. She should be sacred to death to be close to him afterward. How can you even trust someone who put your face in a f...ing fire the first place ??? I mean, did the writer really thought about it ? Did they really think they'd be ok to live, or work with someone who burned their faces ? In 2019, with the #metoo movement, they wouldn't even tolerate to work with someone who would have touched their butt ! But working with someone who would have burned their face is ok in their standards, I suppose.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ferdnand Colby

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Amen!

Sometimes I wonder if there's such a thing like a writing team for this show, you know, people working in possible arcs, discussing characters' fate, implications, et cetera... I'm not a writer, but in my humble opinion, a solid team in charge of a TV show should probably assign people to develop characters, so they evaluate possible reactions and logic behind... I guess I'd do that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,200
    Medals:
    I gave up asking questions about CW Dynasty a long time ago. It's a lifetime job ... and you never get any answers. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,606
    Medals:
    Up until this confrontation with Adam, she had been going along with the established (by Adam) story that she had "drunkenly face-planted in the fireplace" (to quote Blake). I was beginning to believe she honestly had forgotten the circumstances that led up to her trip into the fireplace. Turns out she was just going along because she bought into Adam's "I got upset and acted out" version. On the one hand I can see how he would have manipulated her when she first woke up in the hospital, since she was more traumatized than she ever had been in her life. Though he wasn't openly menacing to her afterwards, he chose his words just well enough to let her know he could "snap again" if she didn't keep her mouth shut (or the marker-board clean, as the case may be). Add to that an undercurrent of how no one in the family really believed anything she said (a reputation she may or may not have totally earned), which would have made sounding an alarm at that point a pointless exercise. Adam would have easily convinced others that she was just delirious or mis-remembering, and then really gotten mad at her and maybe set about finishing the job. That whole crying/whining act of Adam's seemed very rehearsed, as if Adam had expected she would confront him eventually and he had formulated a response beforehand that traded on his "poor little Adam, raised by a monster" back-story that is totally HIS version of events. She may have internalized the fact that she does extreme things for what would seem trivial reasons later on, and maybe she thinks he inherited that trait from her.

Actually, that's the part that does not ring true to me. Being so close to death--in fact, she would be dead had Adam not decided to let her live--should have made her snap to reality and see that exposing him as a craven, would-be murderer would be much more important than keeping some B-grade secret about one of her get-rich-quick schemes. The woman keeps secrets, and the woman schemes to get things she wants--they know this already. They do NOT know that Adam is a matricidal maniac, and this information would be much more important to the family. A brush with almost certain death (in one of the most horrific ways possible) would show her just how inconsequential her secret about Hank was. I think in the back of her mind she believes that Adam is somehow "owed" a pass on this whole situation because of what happened when he was a baby, and as misguided as that feeling might be, he is certainly trading on that guilt in his dealings with Alexis. I think once she's had some time away--and some of his schemes are revealed in the meantime--she will have enough perspective to figure out just how to deal with the situation, and people will be able to believe her version of events.

Jeff made millions on his own (as some kind of tech developer/manufacturer), and Monica has that nightclub that seems to have been a dream of hers, so they don't necessarily want or need the Carrington money. I don't think they even want to be thought of as Carringtons. Their heritage was covered up/denied for so long. I know if I were in their place, I would not be too keen to hang out with the Carringtons--why go someplace where I am not wanted? Jeff did barge into the Atlantix organization, but not because he wants to be part of it; he just wants to irritate Blake and (hopefully) be the spy on the inside who brings the whole thing down. But you could say that storyline is running on fumes. o_O The longtime friendship between Fallon and Monica has been more or less forgotten now that Fallon already has so many irons in the fire. All this will likely change in the final three episode, what with Dominique on the way to Atlanta to dredge up a lot of old history and re-examine a lot of Colby things that have been sidelined.

This whole Steven situation has made Sam go from likeably superficial to virtually soul-less and vapid. The depth of emotions he displayed as recently as the Paris episode has been missing in action, and it is not a good look for Sam (or anybody). I would love for them to establish that Sam did not take that ticket to the Maldives and is in fact jetting off to Paris to confess to Steven that, as hard as he has tried to move on, he just can't give up on their marriage. Steven, still in kind of a catatonic daze, rouses long enough to see Sam and it would be left to look as if maybe Steven will recover (off-screen) with Sam by his side, with the ultimate goal to bring both characters back in early season three to help expose Adam as the reason for Steven's problems.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Daniel, you gave to Adam and Alexis more psychology in one post, than the show in a few episodes.
    I agree, I can't imagine leaving my daughter (if I had one) with a psycho who almost killed me, and burned my face.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,166
    Medals:
    She can't protect Fallon without exposing Adam. She knows he's a monster but she feels responsible, so it's quite a dilemma!

I would be very disappointed if this is the end of the poisoned paint storyline. I want to see Jeff doing outrageous stuff, attack Blake or Cristal something like that.
    But the only person who sees him is Michael.
    The leaked picture problem was solved very quickly, Femperial is save. Thank God!:re:
    Shouldn't she try to find a real office, I mean this looks like a hobby, not a business.

11. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    It was not clear. Jeff is sick, but he doesn't know why. He collapse in the office. Adam tells him hat next time, if Jeff keeps bothering him and his father, he won't help him (meaning he won't call for help)

Adam said something like he was more an alchemy guy.

Will Jeff understand that Adam poisoned him ? And can Jeff understand that the poison is in the walls ?
    Maybe the poison painted wall is not over yet.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,166
    Medals:
    Dominique won't be pleased to find her son in such a horrible condition...maybe that's the new angle of this story?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Quick impressions:

Adam is having his finger in too many pies. He is written as entertaining, and is, but there comes a point where his sociopathic behaviour, devoid of consequences, will wear thin.

I found Culhane's and Jeff's separate but equal storyline continue to be less interesting to watch than Kirby--and she wasn't even around.

Sam and Anders as a duo are now a recurring thing. Too bad Sam is not into daddies. And why have we never seen Tony's cat? I am sick and tired of Bo.

Liam is so clueless with his mom, I can see why he fell for Fallon. I am still not sure why the author career is so important to a Billionaire scion, but the rich are different and all that.

Blake and Fallon have to do their own dirty work? They don't have anyone to trust with these?

Fallexis gone leaves me with one Gillies role down, one to go.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,606
    Medals:
    Ah, but Alexis knows what a resourceful and intelligent daughter she has. She may realize that telling Fallon the bare minimum might be enough for her to take that info and run with it. It was kind-hearted of her (shut up!) to give Fallon that warning. If it had been me, though, I would have also confided the info to Anders, whom she knows can take care of business without any sort of mushy feelings getting in the way. I would have left him a letter with the whole story in it, not just a vague warning.

If Adam feels he got his point across, he may just have some painters come in to give the paint job a clear coat or something, using some process to neutralize the paint fumes. It would be easy to cover his tracks if the doctors can't figure out what made Jeff freak out. It's mighty random.

While his sudden illness might be the pretext for her arrival in town, it's not very convincing, since it was less than six months ago he was close to death after being shot in that whole Ada Stone fiasco...and she didn't seem too eager to show up then. Or when he was marrying Fallon, which...if I heard my son was marrying his first cousin, I'd want to show up for the "If anybody can show just cause..." part. At the very least, she could have sent them a toaster with a strongly-worded note attached.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,606
    Medals:
    The guy doing Blake's dirty work ended up at the bottom of a lake. I don't think Fallon inherits her own goons until her trust fund comes through. So for now, she has Sam.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,166
    Medals:
    She wants Adam to stay (or thinks he deserves it), therefore Blake and Fallon shouldn't find out what happened.
    It doesn't mean she has to come to Atlanta because Jeff is ill. As for the convincing part...eh..exactly how much logic do you expect from soaps, and this one in particular?:)

17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    Also, this:

upload_2019-5-5_19-7-5.png

I didn't photoshop this, for a split second, Liz Gillies really did cross her eyes, as seen in the beginning of this clip:

18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,883
    :mo:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Sounds really, really familiar. Laura even says she has a "stage 4" cancer. Like Nicollete Sheridan's mother during this interview :

At the end of the video, Nicollette says she will back on Dynasty.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,166
    Medals:
    She didn't say "on Dynasty", but let's hope that's what she meant.

• Agree Agree x 3