1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nuDynasty Episode Chat S3E07: Shoot From The Hip

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,639
    Description: "As the family prepares for their Thanksgiving celebration, Blake asks that Adam and Cristal put an end to their constant bickering; Fallon focuses on her new project; Culhane wants Dominique to disclose important information."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,639
    While Blake is having a morning skeet shoot near the lake with his butler trainee Darrin, Liam and Fallon are enjoying after-glow between gunshots. Shirtless Liam Alert! Later, C3 and Adam are having another bicker-fest at the breakfast table. Blake tells them they WILL enjoy Thanksgiving and they WILL be nice to each other, since this might be the last Turkey Day they're together as a family "if the trial goes south".

Fallon has scheduled a trip to meet with someone (Landon) she wants to hire for the magazine--oh, darn, this means she will miss the Carrington Thanksgiving Love Fest that Blake wants, complete with a (planned) family portrait. She's so heartbroken...except not. Turns out Landon is an old chum of Liam's, and after some weird male bonding activities, Fallon feels like third wheel at her own meeting. I think Liam is just glad to have someone to pal around with who isn't aware of his recent problems.

Adam suggests he and Cristal bake a pie together to show Blake they're trying to get along, but of course it's another of his schemes. Nadia sneaks in to fiddle with the oven after Adam and Cristal leave the (strangely abandoned) kitchen. Like seriously, Mrs. Gunnerson and the army of staff ought to be crowded into that kitchen like it's Def-Con 1. I hope they aren't secretly serving the Carringtons take-out turkey from The Fresh Market's deli.

Michael tells Dominique he knows she's Vanessa's step-mother, and urges her to tell Monica and Jeff because things like this have a way of coming out. Vanessa, meanwhile, is auditioning for Monica at Club Colby. Monica is impressed, but lets her know she is no fan of Vanessa's "manager". Dom warns Vanessa not to get too chummy with Monica. Of course Dom then has to eat her words when
    Monica invites both Dom and her "client" Vanessa over for Thanksgiving dinner, and Dom feels obligated to accept.

The knee-capping incident with Victor the soccer player has cut occupancy at LaMirage by 50%, so Sam is worried. He meets with a PR/hotel expert guy who points out some of the mistakes Sam has made, mistakes Sam isn't particularly keen to own up to. The instant antagonism with Mr. Cutie Hotel Expert smells of a chem test. Anders is on hand only to roll his eyes politely. I didn't catch the guy's name.

The pie's now a giant burnt offering, and Adam tricks Cristal into going out for more caramelized pecans to make another. Can I just say that I love love love that Adam and Cristal pronounce "pecans" correctly? (Well, correctly for north Georgia) It's PE-cans, not pi-CONS. o_O And of course as soon as Cristal gets away from the manor, her car breaks down and her phone's dead.

Landon suggests Liam move to London for a job with him, and Fallon is freaked. She barges her way into a turkey-shooting party Landon is hosting with [male] friends and is so distracted that she ends up shooting Landon in the ass (okay, the "hip"). Is this an homage to the gun-play in the season-one Thanksgiving episode? Needless to say, Landon declines her job offer, and Liam is upset that Fallon did all this to stop Liam from leaving for London with Landon. (Yes, read it again)

Dominique heads to the manor to get dirt from Blake on Michael (to get him out of Vanessa's life). She's also there just in time for the family portrait. But then, where is Cristal? And Sam? and Fallon? Heck, I'm still asking where's Steven? Not much of a portrait....or maybe a perfect one, come to think of it. Just Blake and Adam, with Dominique sort of lingering around in the background. The file on Michael that Blake gives his sister is sufficient to get him to keep his mouth shut, so Dom thinks her secrets are safe.

Not much of a dinner with just Blake, Adam, and Nadia...until C3 comes stumbling in. Blake's being a jerk about it but Cristal, surprising EVERYONE, defends Adam by saying Adam wanted to bake Blake's favorite pie and Blake's acting ungrateful toward his son, who's become a better person. She's so understanding that even Adam looks kind of....sorry? for what he did. Sam, then Fallon also show up, and Darrin offers to take a photo of the family around the table. Then Anders shows up, so Darrin is quickly fired. Poor Darrin. C3 does, however, manage to spot Nadia and Adam holding hands under the table (??). Anders quickly drops right back into protective mode, giving Blake advice for his trial. In a previous scene, Anders had informed Sam that he (Anders) was no longer needed as a partner in LaMirage, since Sam was "finding his way" with the hotel.

The Colbys are having an okay dinner until Vanessa decides to drop the bomb ("Sister!"), forcing Monica to leave the table. I wish she had hit Dom with something before she left, but I guess there was enough gun-play for one holiday.

C3 confronts Adam after dinner, telling him it didn't take long for her to figure out Adam was behind her car/phone problems, and that despite the sweet nothings at the dinner table, she is even more intent on getting him and his girlfriend out of their lives.

We then see that girlfriend being handed a large wad of cash. "He told me he loves me," Nadia says with a bit of revulsion. "well, whatever works," is the basic reply from her benefactor, who is in fact Fallon. To which I say it's about damn time you went on offense, girl.

Preview: Next week looks like a circus that would make the Ringling Brothers turn over in their graves.:fp:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Seventh episode in a row that I liked.

Only one story I don't like: Anders going back to work for Blake. Really? After Kirby was thrown out of the mansion? I hope it's just a plot to take revenge. Maybe with another fire (surprise mention by Adam about Blake's mother dying in a fire...)?

4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    Poor Vanessa, it seems like she wants to get to know her step siblings better. I guess that what happens when your parents are dead (though did they mention if Vanessa's mother was dead?). Michael is trying to get Dominique to tell Monica and Jeff about Vanessa, which is a fairly stupid move since Dominique just blackmails Michael back with information that Blake has gathered about him over the years. Of course Vanessa ends up blabbing anyway to Monica. "We're sisters!" "Oh hell no!"

Uh-oh. Adam's planning something utterly devious. Eh... it's sabotaging making a pie? Ah, it was about stranding Cristal in the middle of nowhere, that sounds a bit more of a problem. LOL at Dominique crashing the Thanksgiving picture.

Social media rears it's ugly head again, only this time it's against #LaGarbage, sorry, La Mirage. I guess this new PR guy is Sammy Jo's new love interest? #BringBackSteven

Anders suddenly quits at La Mirage? Ok, this feels very random. Either the writers realised that Anders belongs in the Carrington mansion or he's planning a revenge of his own.

Aww, Cristal ends up defending Adam and Adam in return ends up defending Cristal. Could this be the start of a beau... uh oh, Cristal saw Adam and Nadia holding hands under the table (thanks Bo!). Well, I guess I've heard people do worse things. Oh guess that didn't last long since Cristal gave Adam a warning that he'd soon be out.

Plot twist I didn't see coming: Nadia's being paid for by... Fallon?!

Too bad Claudia didn't show up at the Thanksgiving dinner this year.

5. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,639
    The Quartermaines on General Hospital have an offbeat "Thanksgiving tradition" that they plan a big dinner that ultimately gets ruined one way or another, leading to them eating takeout pizza. NuDynasty's Thanksgiving tradition is...gunplay. And y'know what? I'm okay with that.

I also thought Anders's return to the manor was rather random. I mean, we all know he is needed there--I don't recall seeing a single servant working on the family's dinner! They spent a lot more effort on setting up his departure (heart scare, random characters pointing out how Blake uses him and doesn't respect him) than they spent on showing the motivation for his coming back. Worse still, Blake didn't show much gratitude (dare I say Thankfulness?) for Anders's return in a true time of need. They did write that Anders just enjoys being needed (thus his time at the hotel), but if he doesn't set some kind of ground rules for his return to Blake's employ, then the whole thing will be waste of time. Since they seem to be focused a lot more on making every action of the characters have meaning/purpose, this would be a glaring exception. One thing that might have helped: Anders shows up with his daughter, and Kirby patches things up with Fallon when Anders adopts an attitude of "we come as a package deal". But obviously MB was not going to appear in this episode, so they didn't even use the holiday as an opportunity to re-establish her relevance to the Carringtons.

Speaking of which, I think Maddison Brown, Adam Huber, and Sam Adegoke are probably signed to contracts that exclude them from a certain number of episodes. Typically, actors in the opening credits are in every episode, but these three have been excluded from several episodes each, and we're only seven episodes in. I was sort of half-watching the Colbys meal scene--was Jeff even at the table with the ladies?

While watching those scenes, I realized that no potential love interest for Sam would ever 'stick' when things with Steven's fate were left so unresolved. No "new" character will ever out-shine a Carrington; they'll always be living in the shadow of Steven. "Oh, he's okay, but only until Steven comes back" will likely be the best any love interest can hope to hear from fans.

6. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    He wasn't. I'm pretty sure that certain actors not appearing in every episode has to do with budget (Anders and Michael have also previously missed episodes), though I'm fine with it overall. I don't think the show is losing much with some characters missing episodes here and there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,639
    It's certainly preferable to shoe-horning the characters into scenes where they have no purpose just to fulfill their contractual guarantee.

And unless I missed it, this would be the first episode in ages that did not have a splashy party for some reason. Maybe they saved money in this episode by cutting out the extras (no servants, no party).

8. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +946
    I agree. I don't mind that some actors are absent some episodes during the run. A presence should be relevant, and it's better than having the actor here doing forced pointless plots.
    I really enjoyed this episode. Season 3, without being amazing, is on the right track. It makes me confident in Alexis arrival and re-introduction.

Oh, Sam & Anders mentioning some social media backlash (#LaGarbage) really confirmed some people from the writing team are lurking here (Hi!)

Nice twist, with Fallon paying Nadia. I really didn't see that coming.

C3 :laughing:

Can't wait to see her in a catfight with A3
    (C1 catfight with A1 in season 1 is legendary)

It would make no sense that Anders goes back for revenge. They didn't hurt Kirby. They just throw her out of the Mansion after she stole Fallon's company.
    You can love your kids and yet admit when they' re wrong. And what Kirby did was wrong. It's in character for Anders to understand and acknowledge that.

9. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    IMHO, it succeeded at being a twist, without feeling like the Scandal-esque twists that have dominated television for the past decade where they throw in a twist just for the sake of the twist. It actually makes me want to go back and watch the previous episode to see if there's any hints that this was happening considering Nadia helped Adam send Evan to see Liam and Fallon together.

I think it's more down to that so far they've given the characters motivations this season to do what they do, so Anders all of a sudden going back to the Carringtons and Blake just seemed... lazy I guess? We knew he was going to go back there eventually, I guess I just expected a bit more to it than a random change of heart.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +946
    Yes. It's a nice twist. It works. It's not insane and makes me want to see more. Congrats to the writers for that (may the pay off be good)

There was maybe some hint of that twist, when Evan told Fallon he saw her with Liam because her assistant told him to join Fallon in that restaurant for a midnight drink. Evan said he wasn't sure what was going on. Fallon answers without a blink of doubt, that she was (sure of what was going on). Fallon answered it was Adam screwing with her life. She didn't say "I think it's Adam", or "I'm sure it's Adam, but I don't know how he did that". Maybe she just knew that it was Nadia, because she asked Nadia to do that to gain Adam's trust. And when you think about it, Fallon had nothing important to lose : Evan would see her with Liam, and what? He would break up with her? Evan was just a rebound relation anyway. She never cared much for Evan.

Maybe Anders's return motivation is Blake upcoming Trial. Maybe he realized he would feel bad and guilty forever, not being by his side, if Blake's get sentenced for lifetime on Jail. As he said, he's a father figure to Blake. It also means that's Blake is like a son to Anders, on some levels. So yes, it needs to be said in the writing. But for me, Anders' return is totally in character.

11. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,639
    I expected getting Anders to return would have to be something meaningful only to Anders, like maybe Blake would actually admit he takes Anders's many talents for granted and acknowledges out loud that he needs Anders to be the 'adult in the room' when Blake is being more self-indulgent than usual. Blake is definitely of the "never explain, never apologize" school of thought, so such a scene would likely be enjoyable to watch, and Grant Show would likely do a great job with it. Having Blake simply offer Anders a large raise would not be sufficient, since I get the idea that Anders is already set for life financially, and throwing money around comes across as rather shallow on Blake's part when there's that much of it to throw.

But it looks like we won't even get that! Of course it might have been filmed and just ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    True and it also explains the juveline C3 plot - while getting stuck on the road with an empty tank and a dead phone sucks, it's not like C3 was put in any danger. I guess Fallon actually had Nadia fake the will to get a reaction out of Adam and I assume on a fast track to do something that would make him disappear from their lives. Plus she might be onto him for causing Liam's "accident"...

• Like Like x 1
  13. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +946
    Sure it would have been nice.

I tend to think Anders just felt that being by Blake' side was the right thing to do, as the trial was upcoming. He loves Blake, even if he had to say it in a joke (the secret ingredient). So being with him, facing a trial that can potentially send him to jail forever, is enough of a motivation when you love someone.

14. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +946
    Actually I think it wasn't an empty tank but 2 flat tires (to make it more obvious to C3 that this "accident" was on purpose, and not a random thing)
    But you're absolutely right on the will. Nadia faked it, to make Adam more upset : I think it's a hint too.

Anyway, I like this Fallon, actually doing things, and not just talking about doing things.

Ok, I have to go know, but not without saying thanks to @Matthew Blaisdel
    I enjoyed this episode, and I think they really are heading in the right direction. Can't wait to see next episode in 2 weeks.

EDIT : I hope the person doing the make up will be more careful next time : Fallon and Adam's faces were yellow sometimes (if we compare with their neck, ears or other body parts). It was a bit hard to focus on something else, especially Adam's face. he was channeling The Simpsons in that scene...

[​IMG]

15. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +180
    I agree. I think we also need to consider the fact that Anders was directly involved in disposing of Mac's body, so perhaps his motivation is to show support for Blake. For storyline purposes, it also makes sense to put Anders back into the Carrington orbit with the trial coming up since it appears he will be testifying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11288184/mediaviewer/rm1747487745

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Education
    Ratings:
    +180
    Either Dominique or Monica mentioned that Jeff was "out of town". I believe that scene aired after it was mentioned that Kirby was "out of town" lol.

17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,552
    Poor Adam... i really felt sorry for him after that final scene with C3 in that car. :(
    Despite the bad things he did, i actually find him quite cute meanwhile.
    I wish Nadia was called Dana and Vanessa was Jackie ... just for the sake of the good old times.:hats:

Michael gets more annoying with each episode. How could he blackmail and threaten Dominique like that???? I mean ... that's absolutly none of his business?! What a jerk, i hope he dies soon! :mad:

Kind of lame Thanksgiving this time - compared to previous years. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  18. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    Yes, poor little sociopath, come be cuddly-wubbly with me... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I wonder if Adam will actually end up murdering Nadia once he finds out it's all a sham and the Carringtons will have another body they have to get rid of?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,639
    The accidental smack in the face that Adam gave Nadia when she first arrived could have been a bit of foreshadowing that she could end up dead from un-natural causes.

20. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +946
    Blake's trial is upcoming. We know he killed a man for a crime he didn't commit (as far as we know)
    What are your thoughts about Blake ?

- He's guilty, he murdered Mack, he took his life, he should go to jail and pay for his crime. It doesn't matter if Mack was guilty or innocent.
    - He's guilty of murder. But Mack was actually the one who shot Mark Jennings, causing Cristal miscarriage. Blake would stay a murderer, but his revenge on Mack would be less "unjustified".
    - He murdered Mack. He will learn Mack was actually innocent. Blake having a great lawyers team will got out free from the court. But he will become a better person, because he has to redeem for his crime.
    - He's guilty. But hey, he's a f....g Carrington. No jail for rich powerful white men. No one cares about literally poor Mack (and his family if he has one)...