1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nuDynasty Episode Chat S3E07: Shoot From The Hip

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, Nov 21, 2019.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    I mean, in real life he should go to jail for 25 to life, but of course, this is a tv show and Blake going to jail for an extended period of time wouldn't be fun.

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,540
    The general 'tradition' among soap writers confronted with this situation (which is, unfortunately, quite often) is to have the character punished in an alternate fashion, something that gives the viewer the feeling that the character is paying for his/her crime, but not in a direct way (prison). This is when they have to keep the character on the canvas because the actor is not going to be written out, no matter what he/she has done onscreen. Seeing Blake suffer in some alternate fashion (like losing something very important to him, or becoming disabled in some way) gives the viewer the feeling that justice was done, while also keeping the character around. It also (when done right) can serve as a challenge for the actor, who may want to re-direct the character from his/her illegal activities. If a character is allowed to skate too many times, viewers will turn against the character and the writers will be forced to write them out for good. If Blake manages to shake the charges, I'm pretty sure they won't try to let him get away with something this serious ever again.

In this situation, it's much harder to justify Blake being allowed to get off scot-free, since we basically saw the crime committed. The prison scenario in the first few episodes (with the scheme to get released on house arrest) didn't really appeal to me because NuDynasty isn't in the business of "gritty realism" (the best they could manage were prison yard scenes filmed in sepia tone with acting that seemed more like outtakes from West Side Story). While the scheming and lying to get Blake out on house arrest was clever and kind of entertaining, they would be stupid to write similar tricks for the actual trial, since the trial is supposed to be a serious reckoning. The best I could imagine--something lawyers often use--would be leaning HARD on "reasonable doubt" during the trial. Blake's attorneys could work with Anders to make it look like he actually killed Mack. Anders could actually play along, since he's not on trial and all they need to do is have the jury unsure of whether Blake did it. Of course all the build-up toward reasonable doubt could blow up in their faces when/if Alexis returns and says...well, whatever she wants to say. She could be Blake's savior or Blake's executioner depending on what kind of mood she's in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    Well, yes, it happens all the time in real life with OJ Simpson trial being the perfect example of a defense "muddying the waters" enough so to speak for the jury to have reasonable doubt, despite no alternative theory really making sense. I guess it would sort of explain Fallon's reaction in the small teaser released - make everyone in the Carrington fold seem like potential murderers and the jury can't be sure Blake did it, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    I wonder if the twist here will be that Alexis testifies not to throw Blake under the bus but to exonerate him - for a price, of course.

We saw Blake beat the daylights out of Mack and we saw Anders throw Mack's body into the lake but we didn't see Mack die. I want to know what happened as Mack took his dying breaths. Did Blake step aside and let Anders finish the job? Did Mack have a pre-existing condition (a bullet fragment lodged somewhere in his body that was dislodged during the beating or perhaps a terminal illness) that would have been a mitigating factor.

I want it to be revealed that Mack did not fire the shot that killed Mark and caused Cristal's miscarriage and everyone to be made aware of that. I want Blake to feel some guilt and Cristal to feel a lot of guilt. I want Cristal to "straighten up and fly right" and urge Blake to do the same. I want Alexis to learn she didn't fire the fatal shot but only after she helps get Blake acquitted. I want it to be Beto Flores who fired the fatal shot which causes Cristal to sever all ties with her family.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 9 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Here's a radical idea that may sound like a poor one, but could work if written well enough.
    What if Blake is convicted and does go to jail? Could he be written as a compelling character pulling the strings from behind bars.
    When Julia went to jail on Falcon Crest after being convicted of murder, I gave the show a a lot of credit for having a major character actully be the culprit in s "whodunit" type plot and deal with the aftermath. I know, I know, it went soapy when she escaped, died, turned out to be alive, became a nun(instead of just dressing as one), but it was great fun while it lasted. Also, the viewers got some great scenes with her reacting to being in prison, confronting Angela, as well as Melissa and Richard's revenge
    I think it could work. Hell, after the Fallexis monstrosity, anything could happen.

6. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,540
    That would be the best solution, I believe. C2 immediately assumed it was "her family" who had Mark killed when it happened, and only started to believe it was Mack after she and Blake were given faulty intel. Her first instinct would be correct.

Most shows of this type resist this option because all of Blake's scenes would be "isolated". He would only interact with people on the "visitation room" set wearing prison garb, and would not be present for all the family parties and events. In short, it severely limits the character's options. The example with Julia has to be viewed as her becoming a recurring character (coming and going, never being a central character again), whereas Blake can't be marginalized in that way because he's supposed to be the main mover/shaker of the series. We would see all the other characters moving on with their lives as Blake is stuck in one place, having what looks like the same scenes over and over.

7. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Thanks guy for your point of view on the (delicate) question of Blake's trial fate.

Beto, or anyone from C3's family shooting Mark Jennings seems right, as they wanted him out of C3's life way before she met Blake. I assume they saw Mark a sa threat, as they would be prefer (for many reasons) C3 to marry Blake a the time.

And this would mean that C3 and Blake will have to learn with the idea that they killed an innocent man and become better persons (redemption)

Anyway, I really can't wait for next episode. I want to see that trial, I want drama, I want to see Elaine's Alexis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +882
    If think I've found an other hint. In episode 5, Adam is sitting on his bed. Nadia comes in the room. Adam says "Fallon, is that you? I can smell your perfume". Nadia answers "No it's me, and I think it's a little weird that you know your sister's smell"...

I think Nadia spent a little time with an "over perfumed Fallon" in her car, previously.

• Winner Winner x 4
  9. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    Ooof. Good catch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,540
    Isn't it interesting (okay, humorous) that when Mark Jennings was shot and killed on the Carrington estate, with the resulting miscarriage of C2 occurring, the police only did a brief investigation, then sort of...faded away? Georgia law says the shooter is responsible for two murders (a miscarriage caused during the commission of a crime is considered murder), but nothing really came of it. They didn't even do follow-up investigations and interviews with the major players (C2 was right there when it happened!) It was as if the cops weren't really interested in nailing the killer, even as Blake would have been a prime suspect (jealousy over C2's ex sniffing around). But the same cops obviously have a major 'Justice Boner' trying to convict Blake for Mack's murder, someone he barely knew (as far as they know). A "crime of passion" like killing his girlfriend's ex-husband (and accidentally causing the death of their baby) would be a much "sexier" crime, but they didn't pursue it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +882
    I agree. I hope they will bring this to light during the trial.

That was a part of the "non consequences" writing I've been "ranting" for a while during season 2.
    Anyway, it's getting better this year. Not perfect (still nobody to care about Steven?) but better. So that's really a plus.

Thanks! I was surprised, because it was quite clever from the writers.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  12. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    I kind of hope that they'll at least acknowledge him somehow during the trial - something like "Steven can't be located" or something in that style.

It worked because Dynasty doesn't tend to pull Scandal-esque "gotcha" moves every week so they can afford to drop quite blatant hints like that.

• Agree Agree x 1