1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nuDynasty Episode Chat S3E13: You See Most Things In Terms of Black and White

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    Episode description: Blake and Cristal contend with their new houseguest; Adam seeks help from Alexis and [Jeff] Colby; Liam gets a significant career opportunity; Sam tries a different kind of relationship; Kirby pines for her crush."

2. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Addict EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    Their episodes descriptions are as good as their promo videos... :fp:

3. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    Speaking of which....
    As I passed the electronic billboard near North River Shores yesterday, I see a promo up for the CW show, Katy Keene. I know absolutely nothing about this show except that apparently its ratings are nearly as anemic as Dynasty's (also a 0.1 demo rating). I admit I was a bit miffed that this other show is getting promoted, but it gets worse: later that day I also hear the tail-end of a radio commercial for the same show. So someone (either the local affiliate or the ad buyers at the network level) does know how to promote at the CW.
    They just ain't doin' it for Dynasty. :cliff:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    To be fair, if that show is renewed for season 2 I see it getting the Dynasty promo treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    I think The CW invested in promo for Dynasty season 1. There were billboards, as far as I know. But as the ratings are not good, The CW just gave up. The show exists. It's profitable thanks to their Netflix deal. But they think (and they 're surely right) that investing more money in promo would not be worth.

It's the same for the music industry in France. They promote a new artist for it's first and second music single. If the sells are not good enough, they just give up. They even tend to promote only singers who sells a lot.

I don't know Katy Keene, but I suppose it's it first season, according what @tommie said.

6. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +84
    The only thing I know regarding Katy Keene is that Luce Hale is africkendorable.

7. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,934

Shirtless Liam alert!

Oh, and Fallon and Sam are there too, if I remember correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    Fallon shows Sam the ring she wants to give Liam when she proposes.

Fletcher (Not!Steven) explains to Sam that although he's married, they have an open marriage. Sam agrees to go on another date with the creep.

Liam has a "book pitch" appointment in London that takes him away from their date--a date where she had intended to use to propose to him. At first she tells him to take off (in the family jet), but then Sam convinces her to go with him to propose there.

Dom, in a faux effort to curry favor with Cristal, stages a garish meal (on Anders's suggestion) that goes down in flames (C3 is allergic to pork!), showing Dom's flirting doesn't help one bit, and C3 has no use for Dom whatsoever. The "deal" is that Dom gets to live at the manor for a year; C3 doesn't think she'll be able to take Dom for a week.

On the jet, Liam describes to Fallon what's in his book pitch. Everything dissolves into a 1940's-style noir film, with "Leland" as a detective being bankrolled by "Sanders", a nightclub owner who needs his "Peach Diamond" back. "Veronica Cabot" (Fallon) then performs a number at Sanders's club--a woman Leland broke up with previously.

(It's tough to live-blog this section because it is rife with in-jokes and callbacks--Liam even has to dodge a flower pot-wielding Sam. And I did not catch the alt-names of all the characters. But there are some clever in-jokes, especially from alt-Cristal and "Lexi". And the twist with Veronica's brother "Aiden" is priceless).

Veronica keeps belting out tunes as Leland finds "Blake" dead and assumes Aiden the busboy did it. Turns out Aiden (Adam) is not her brother, but in fact her lover--and Veronica was making off with the diamond. He apprehends her and the diamond in the end, and when Liam asks Fallon what she thinks of the story...well, she's quick to point out certain holes in his story and basically cut it to pieces. Liam is not amused. He calls her "an un-sophisticated reader" and now Fallon's no longer in the mood for romance.

Kirby is not amused by Sam's willingness to continue seeing Not!Steven, but then Sam's not amused by her continued pursuit of Adam. We see Kirby and Adam impulsively have sex on Blake's desk. Kirby then asks Not!Steven just what his intentions are with Sam, and in the next scene we find out they're broken up again.

After their fight, Liam asks Fallon to his hotel room. The room is full of roses, and he gets down on bended knee. Y'see, there was no book pitch, and he made up the detective story. He had seen the ring Fallon had the day before, and with Sam's help decided to beat her to the punch by proposing first--with a huge, peach-colored diamond ring. She happily accepts.

Dom follows C3 to a hotel, where C3 furtively enters a room and leads Dom to think C3 has a secret lover. What she has is an assassin who accepts a big pile of cash and a photo of Alexis.

Back in Atlanta, Liam runs into Heidi in the hotel lobby. Heidi has decided it's time her son Connor (also in the lobby) met his daddy. How random--not.:NI:

9. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    I'm kind of laughing at no one really caring about Sam love life problems.

Bwah, I'm kind of happy that Dominique has taken over ridiculous plots like reality show pitches. It really does feel like something that they would've given to Alexis 1.0 and of course falling completely flat, but I don't mind Dominique getting these kind of plots. Of course Dom is now stalking Cristal, but ends up thinking it's a secret lover situation instead of trying to have Alexis murdered situation.

I'm not wild about these meta-stories. I assume it's fun for the actors and writers though to try and pull off, but it gives me Very Special Episode vibes and just falls flat in general. Not good, but I guess it could be worse (the depths of Donna and David on Beverly Hills 90210 being twins for Donna's grandparents during WWII it is not, but pulling it off like Buffy managed to do with I Only Have Eyes For You it doesn't either). Either way this is one episode I'm likely to skip if I ever re-watch.
    Though some creepy teaser of Adam seeing Kirby as Fallon? Ick ick ick.

Adam is trying to get his medical license back. Poor Kirby, she's into Adam but he's not as into her as she is into him. Maybe she'll bury Adam alive then.
    Oh, Kirby actually does care about Sam's love life problems and she ends up confronting Fletcher. Who dumps Sam.

Heidi screams death fodder. Sorry, not sorry.

On a related note, apparently people are guessing Gillies is on The Masked Singer as The Kitty. That would be good promo for the show at least.

10. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +173
    If I ever build a monitor-altar for Adam Huber this episode would run infinite on it. His hotness ashames me through all veins or is it fever? Whatever - for me a great episode because I like old film noirs and this homage was visually well done. And when Fallon criticised the plot holes of Liam's story it was like reading this forum. Bonus point for killing Blake - just as demanded by @thomaswak in another thread less than two weeks ago... Notable: second time we saw Sam Underwood in drag - is this leading to something?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +763
    When everyone will be aware of what Adam did to Steven, he will leave town. And will be back the season after as... Amanda ! :D
    At first, nobody will know that Amanda is a Carrington (she will be around as an employee of Blake or Alexis) but the truth will come out by the end of season 4.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Honestly I'm a little surprised that Fallon wants to have children and Liam doesn't. I can kind of understand why Liam may have some serious reservations about having kids because of his complicated and toxic family history, but Fallon has never really struck me as a motherly type, and I always figured that she was going to eventually have a kid from either a one night stand or a fling, not a committed relationship. However, this could be the type of issue that might put a huge strain on their relationship and even tear them apart for a while. I won't be surprised if Heidi successfully uses Connor to break up Fallon and Liam and she tries to lure Liam back into her arms.

Also, if Heidi does get killed off, who is going to take care of Connor? Is Connor ultimately going to end up living with Liam and/or Fallon? Or are they just going to ship him off to an orphanage and he'll never be seen again.

13. thomaswak

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    I'm happy that the black and white parts were Liam's fake book story. It wasn't lame like the Oz episode... It was fun to watch once (but I won't watch it again) and I like that the episode was not just a fill-in. The plot is moving a little bit with Liam's proposal and his ex and kid coming in the picture. Here comes a new "Moldavian wedding" for the season finale? And this time it won't be a blood bath but an accidental murder? Alexis's assassin missing her, and shooting someone else instead? And for karma's purpose, Cristal 3.0 will be the one to bite the dust and Cristal 4.0 will be introduced next season, as a tradition. Just kidding :D

[​IMG]

14. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    My tendency toward (okay, my obsession with) trying to figure out the plot ahead of time went into overdrive during this episode. My mind keeps going back to the Moldavian massacre as their next major homage. Heidi, for some reason, just screams "Lady Ashley" to me. :D I think Jeff will get shot instead; I also think there will be another operation going on simultaneously to have a second shooter among the guests---maybe Papa Flores will put a hit on Culhane if Culhane refuses to honor the shady agreement Blake made with Flores when Blake owned the soccer team. or maybe Evan (remember him?) will show up planning to kill Fallon and/or Liam.

It might be a situation where she is married (or was married) to some other person who adopted the kid. In which case this other person would have parental rights that Liam doesn't, especially if she did not list Liam on the birth certificate.

15. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +227
    To me.. Sam shouldn't be a cast member... the original Sammy Jo would come and go throughout the show's run... the character wasn't designed to stay for long periods of time.

16. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,631
    But that was just because Locklear had another contract for TJ Hooker. Once that show was over, she was permanently on Dynasty all the way from late season 5 till the Reunion.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,631
    The peach diamond was the only thing that was colored during the noir scenes. I loved that homage to basically the show itself - peachDynasty. :D [​IMG]
    That Peach logo even looks like a ring with a peach pearl.

I've heard that Ada Stone is going to return as well. Just sayin' ... *whistle*
    Or did that come from the same source that stated Kirby would be off the show "for good"?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  18. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    Yup, but I understand what the user means though - once Sammy Jo was made a regular they had to eventually neuter her because she could pull off the plots she did by disappearing from the canvas for a while for things to cool down, but once she was expected to be in pretty much every episode without breaks she couldn't really do the things she did in the past.

With that said, this Sammy Jo is nothing like early Sammy Jo so I don't see a reason to have him in and out of the canvas. If they want to have an on-and-off recurring schemer pulling stupid stunts, they could easily give that role to someone else (I guess Claudia played this role for the first two seasons).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Actually the actress was seen doing rehearsal with the rest of the cast but apparently it was nothing more than it. I guess Mrs. Grant Show just love spending time on the set of "Dynasty".

20. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    I'm kind of disappointed that C3 has hired some nobody to be her hitman. I was hoping she would get Beto to return and do the honors himself, to further establish (eventually) that he was the one who shot Mark. He could also interact with Sam once again, who is once again in need of a storyline. If Beto and Sam were to have a secret fling while Beto was in town to "take care of the Alexis problem" then Sam could discover the plot and try to stop it--leaving him also in the line of fire in a wedding massacre. Beto would likely feel he had to get rid of Sam to keep both of his secrets.

It would be fun to come up with scenarios to have a gun to the head of every principal cast member. It would make the Red Wedding look like an elopement to Vegas. :D But we don't even know if they're going this route.

Speaking of Sam, his storyline with Fletcher/Not!Steven has been ill-defined from the start. I know when they're writing a "placeholder" storyline, but usually there is a beginning, middle, and end that hinges on how many episodes the placeholder character has been hired to appear in. Instead, they keep writing Fletcher off, then he just turns up again, only to be written out again by the end of the episode. I hope he's gone for good this time, since the back-and-forth doesn't really work when they haven't given the audience enough to really care one way of the other about this guy. I'm just hoping that he's a placeholder because it would imply something better is coming along for Sam, story-wise.

• Like Like x 1