S4 – Long lost family here and there….

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Arlene Halloran, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Season 4 was a fun time for Falcon Crest. Although it was fun it was also the year when more than enough extra family members appeared. Almost every main character had someone pop up, out of the woodwork. For Angela it was her long lost sister Francesca Gioberti, for Maggie it was her real mother Charlotte Pershing, for Melissa it was her cousin Robin and then Richard had his step daughter Lorraine turn up. Who would have been better in season 3 and who should have been in season 5, apart from Robin?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Willie Oleson
    Question

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    And all these characters were only relevant to one or two particular main character(s).
    Well at least they didn't outstay their welcome, but at the same time it blurred to show's identity, because the next year we'd get another bunch of not-so-significant faces.
    They were visitors/plot line characters, not Tuscany Valley characters.

So, my question is: what post-season 3 character was strong enough to become a regular, for at least several seasons?

• Like Like x 5
  3. Richard Channing
    Cool

Richard Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,064
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    I thought Francesca and Lorraine were good additions and both had good story lines. I liked how Francesca ended up giving her third to Richard but then they dropped the ball a bit with that because it could have all played out more dramatically having Angela, Richard and Chase as partners. But it kind of fizzled out. Lorraine was a great character and she showed us a different side to Richard. Her romance with Lance and her shocking death was all good stuff.

I thought Charlotte's character and story line were weak. Like a lot of things that happened that season, and even more in season 5, they did things for shock value but then couldn't really follow through. So Angela drops a bombshell at a party and we learn Maggie is adopted. But then the plan that Angela brings her to the Tuscany Valley and gets her back into gambling was a bit silly. Don't even get me started on Robin. HATE her!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Willie Oleson
    Question

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Whatever happened to Lance's real first girlfriend, Lori? They should have brought her back (with Lance's child, of course)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost
    Sleepy

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    With the firing of producer Robert McCullough and the addition of all these new characters, Season 4 felt like the start of the cluttering of FC and the muddying of FC's identity -- but at least it almost still felt like FC.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Jock Og
    No Mood

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Original Member Since:
    18th November 2000
    We needed to know about Maggie’s family, even though it was done and dusted a bit quick for my liking. As is typical yes these characters were only there for a part of season 4, which can be frustrating for some people. However my view is that it is better for them to be included than for them never to be included at all.

Angela and Chao-Li are planning Lorraine and Lance’s vacation, (a scene from season 4, 1984 – ’85):

Angela says to Chao-Li: “Well I didn’t plan on her going but if she doesn’t I’m sure Lance will do something foolish.”

Chao-Li: “Lorraine knows where Lance is. It is best we keep her at Falcon Crest.”

Angela: “Getting her on board that freighter without anyone seeing her is not going to be easy.”

Chao-Li: “To get Lance on board without her would be even more difficult.”

Angela: “Well we’ll get them there if we have to Shanghai them.”

She turns around to him, before walking into the foyer.

Angela: “Oh! Excuse the expression Chao-Li.”

Chao-Li smiles at her.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Willie Oleson
    Question

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    We knew her father and her sister. And then they un-connected them with the adoption storyline.
    Sure, we got to see her real mother, but I prefered Terry (a great character who was already there) to be her real sister.
    The sisterhood intensified their struggles and animosity, and that's also why I liked Chase and Richard better as half-brothers.
    So we got "something", but we ended up losing more.
    I had no problem with any (or most) of these new characters, but I found their storylines too isolated, and unconnected to the whole Tuscany saga.
    And that affected the general mood of the show.

[​IMG]
    Now, why didn't he stay until the end of the show? Why rush-rush his storylines (real parents, impossible affair) in half a season?
    I don't feel I ever got to know him. He could have been the show's conscience, the antagonist to the Great Evil of Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Snarky's Ghost
    Sleepy

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Ken Olin even took FC off his resume, saying he wasn't proud of the work that he was part of.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. Jock Og
    No Mood

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Original Member Since:
    18th November 2000
    While I would very much liked to have seen Fr. Chris there until the very end I somehow believe that his longevity as a character would have been shortened by words to the effect of “that’s enough for me I’m out of here.” Much in the same way as happened in season 5. Although saying that season 7 and 8 could easily have accommodated Angela’s estranged grandson, in the absence of core characters Julia and Chase.

A showdown is going on inside the Agretti mansion, between Angela, Fr. Christopher, Melissa and Cole, (a scene from season 5, 1985 – ’86):

Angela to Cole: “She is your wife. You keep her away from him (Fr. Chris), even if you have to lock her in the bedroom.”

Melissa: “What as been telling you?”

Fr. Christopher: “Grandmother!”

Angela walks away and into her waiting white Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

Fr. Christopher looks through the window at her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +267
    What about season nine with Fr. Christopher in it? How the hell would he have handled Mr. Slippery Sharpe?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Didn't Angela start her up with a Emeralds company, away from the Valley. Around the same time as when Lance was dating Melissa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Angela Channing
    Cloud_9

Angela Channing Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,707
    Original Member Since:
    I really liked the Father Chris storyline and he would have been a great permanent addition to the cast. There could have been a great rivalry between him and Lance over who would run Falcon Crest, a real good versus bad battle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Father Chris was very attractive and almost bet Lance, as the Falcon Crest pin up. However no matter how much good he done Lance was there, whenever Angela needed a grandson the most. Chris would have been onto a loser, IF he decided to stop being a priest and got into a relationship with Melissa. Lance would have made sure that happened. I liked Meredith Braxton in the same way as I liked Pamela Lynch. Meredith could have complicated Maggie and Richard's relationship, after season 6 and became a regular. The assistant with the mostest.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  14. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Dwayne Cooley (Daniel Greene) from season 5 should have been promoted in the fall of 1986. He was in a nice relationship with Emma and heaven knows she needed some extra bit of happiness, if only for another year.

15. Willie Oleson
    Question

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Even more reason to bring her back as the Emerald Queen On A Mission, played by....well, why not Morgan Fairchild?