1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same old, same old - programme genres

Discussion in 'The Lockdown Lounge' started by Sarah, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM.

?

Genre

1. Cookery

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Bargain hunting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Antiques

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Housing programmes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sport

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Reality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (please comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,787
    With Coronavirus, a lot of tv production has been brought to a halt, although in normal times, I do think that we are swamped with too many of the same genre of programme.

Would you agree, and what would you say we see too much of?

Some of mine are listed below, but feel free to add your own!

2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,735
    I like antiques shows, sports, housing, bargain and some reality shows.

However, cooking shows are not my thing. How am I supposed to know if what they make tastes good? I have no use for cookery shows. I like the Bake Off, but only to see how the results look like, not taste.

I am bored with all WWII documentary series and weight loss shows.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,735
    And all those annoying 90 days fiancé series. Gah!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,787
    And rich housewives of wherever!!! Who cares?????

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,709
    I hate them all except for CBB UK and my mother loved the house hunting stuff so I feel I can't hate that one.
    I also hate hate hate all contest shows and the So You Think You Can Whatever shows.
    I hate them all with a passion and I love to revel in my hatred because it neatly counterbalances my otherwise lovely and positive character.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,735
    All they ever do is get together to fight over "she said that she said behind her back".

STOP SOCIALIZING WITH EACH OTHER ALREADY!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,229
    I've been saying something similar for years. Old-school "Instructional" cooking shows have been basically phased out in favor of increasingly odd "cooking competition" shows where people compete with each other via time limits or ingredient restrictions. Having people rushing around kitchens and trash-talking their 'opponents' creating false tension is supposedly how to create "payoff" at the end for the viewer who can nether smell nor taste the end product to figure out a 'winner'. Absolutely pointless. The old-school instructional cooking shows may have looked boring and static to the network programmers, but the viewer gets to know the host(/ess) and builds a level of trust that gives the viewer confidence to try the recipes and (hopefully) branch out.

I know I'm just too much of a cynic, but whenever I watch bargain-hunting or antique shows I can't help but think it's all made up or staged. I recall a scene in Will and Grace where Grace purposely took a mass-produced, ceramic teapot to an Antiques Roadshow-type show filming near her, wanting to do that ""D'oh!" thing that people do when they discover their "valuable antique" is not worth anything. Only the "expert" starts spouting off all this gibberish about it being a one-of-a-kind from Old England worth massive amounts of money.

HGTV is an entire channel now dedicated to shows about buying and/or renovating houses, or so it seems. It didn't use to be so single-subject, but once the network found a popular subject, they made 1001 clones of the original House Hunters show. Yes, there are too many shows of this type, but HGTV is making boatloads of money off them so they can't produce them fast enough. I admit it is kind of fun to hate-watch these couples and the increasingly staged situations they put them in to crank out these episodes:

"Brittany is a part-time street mime who makes handicrafts with laundry lint. Her fiancé Bobby cleans out public toilets. They're looking for their forever home with a budget of $1.5 million. He wants an Alpine cottage; she wants authentic Tudor...which will be a challenge in Miami, Florida."

They seem to be on the wane, but I really can't stand talent shows. Whether it is singing, dancing, eating swords or whatever they do nowadays I'm not interested. They're not "making stars" (most of the winners are never heard from again), and the performances are all subjectively judged by how good their sob-stories are:

"Joey was left on a doorstep as a baby, and had cancer twice in high school. After his wife fell off a cruise ship on their honeymoon, he returned home to find their new home had burned down. He's here to sing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" because the song reminds him of his dog Toto, who ran out into the street ad got hit by a bus just before he got to the studio today. Hit it, Joey."

Maybe I should just stick to National Geographic Channel.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,709
    Pour me another one, Smitty!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,896
    I don't know how to answer this one. Of the options listed, I can't say I see too much of any and I'm lost trying to add more options.

I have over 900 channels on Sky, I also have Amazon Prime, Netflix & Disney+ so I don't see an overload of anything, all I see is colossal of choices for me to watch. There are so many shows on my list that I haven't got time to be looking at shows that don't appeal to me.

My other stance on this is that no matter what I like or dislike, I'm thankful that there is something for everyone, or thereabouts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,229
    I guess you do have a point. I mean, if HGTV (part of the Discovery group of channels) were not making boatloads of money off the 40 iterations of House Hunters, they would not have the ability to finance other programs like Discovery Channel's nature and travel documentaries.