Classic Soaps Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Jason73, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    Isn't Sally & Wyatt a popular pairing? Also, I hear they are currently in the process of re-casting Thomas.

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,412
    I am not sure. Wyatt has not really had good chemistry with his leading ladies, except than with Katie actually, but Bradley Bell decided to kill that story to bring back Thorne/Ingo Rademacher for a few months, only to have him exit again. And meanwhile he paired the leftover characters together, as he loves to do--ergo, Sally and Wyatt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,449
    Earthquake!

I've been wanting to see the earthquake episodes and by employing some liberal skipping, I got there tonight.

First a minor quake shakes things up across several scenes a few episodes prior to the main quake. It's during the foreshock that August and Lionel are having sex and Augusta utters the classic line: "darling you make the earth move for me." So cheesy but so fun.

The build up in the actual earthquake episode is great--Augusta's dog barking, the horses acting uneasy, the wind blowing throughout the entire episode, and everyone acting sort of jittery. Everyone's arguing and in a state of high agitation. Joe has just shot Peter in a struggle for a gun. Peter is in the hospital and Joe has been arrested. Warren and Ted come to blows over Channing and end up in a horseback chase. Mason and Kelly argue over Mason's railroading of Joe. Santana and C.C. (now C.C. number 3, who just seems constantly angry) argue over Brandon as C.C. discovers that Santana has been planning to leave the country with Brandon. (Santana had just decided not to actually take him right before C.C. showed up and started bellowing.) The news that Joe is alive ripples through town ahead of the quake causing more arguments. Augusta is at her wit's end thinking Lionel is having an affair with Eden and follows him to Sofia's grave where he meets . . . Eden. The wind suddenly stops blowing for several scenes. Augusta gets the final scene. She's alone outside (presumably still at the cemetery) upset after overhearing what Lionel told Eden about Sofia as the quake strikes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,412
    I actually remember that Greek TV started airing episodes with the earthquake. So it was not very clear, as we had not seen the previous episodes, what the deal was with Channing, Sophia, etc. I don't know still that I ever settled all the details in my head, except remembering Minx switching the babies and Sophia having been presumed dead.

5. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,449
    How interesting to just lop off the first 80 or so episodes. When I think about it, the earthquake isn't a bad place to start. The show has finally worked out a lot of the kinks from the early days. These post earthquake episodes are finally making me want to watch every episode and not skip. Now that the backstory has been established and the plots are all humming along without as much clunky exposition the show is starting to get good. It's not 1985/1986 good yet but it's moving in the right direction.

Starting with the earthquake episodes would mean that viewers would also skip past the jarring Joe recast and start with Mark Arnold in the role. I miss Dane Witherspoon but Arnold isn't too bad.

Judith McConnell is finally on screen, though she's still often dressed as Dominic. Lionel is hot on his/her trail but nobody knows yet that Sofia is alive. Lionel has admitted to Augusta that he was on the boat with Sofia when she fell overboard. Peter, thinking he was on his deathbed has cleared Joe from Channing's murder. I found Peter kind of dull at first but he's turning into a great villain stirring up trouble not just for Kelly and Joe, but Mason too. Plus he seems to be holding several secrets regarding Channing's murder. The dynamics between Santana and Gina are really interesting. Currently Santana is the stronger of the pair and is sneaking around behind Gina's back trying to get Brandon, while clueless Gina thinks she and Santana are good friends. The dynamic will completely flip when Robin Mattson and Gina Gallego are in the roles. Santana and Mason are dating now. The Brick and Amy romance is just getting started. I can understand why I liked this couple so much when I was a teen watching. They have a nice chemistry. Brick is easy on the eyes and Kerry Sherman as Amy is really warm and likable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,449
    Was the show really considered "controversial" back in 1984?

8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,412
    Hardly. At best, it was unconventional for its quirky characters, but even that happened later than 1984. It did become controversial, for all kinds of reasons, first when Eden's rapist ended up being her gynecologist and then when Augusta ended up dating Julia's rapist. Ironically, the show was showered with Emmys during these later ratings-poor and bad-decisions-rich years.

But back to its golden era...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Calling a show "controversial" is a technique PR people use to get people to sample it, or to drum up some interest. Note this was NBC calling its own show "controversial"--such a tag, if authentic, ought to come from the soap press, not the network airing it.

SB was pretty much 'paint-by-numbers' in its first year, and only started pushing the envelope (the 1980s envelope, to be fair) later on. And that was because they were the darlings of the Emmys and felt they could get away with a lot. Once the network got on their case to raise the ratings (since Emmys were not paying the bills), they got sloppy. But then every soap experiences this in their final years.

10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    Controversal... these days the ads scream ".... will change the soap forever!!!!"
    But never does.

11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Oh, yeah....it seemed every cover story on soap magazines for General Hospital in the 2000s said "this will change GH forever!" and...well, it was the same lather-rinse-repeat formula every month or so. At least Y&R has enough integrity to admit that nothing changes on their show for years on end.

Anyway, an observation that "no one would be caught dead in those shoes" would probably be in poor taste.