1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Soaps Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Jason73, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Medals:
    I'm not completely au fait with the ins and outs of who owns / owned the rights to the NBC soaps but in my lifetime at least, they appear to be the most widely seen worldwide behind B&B and Y&R. Sunset Beach, Santa Barbara, Days of Our Lives and Another World all aired extensively in Europe, Asia and Australia while the ABC soaps didn't get much of a look in. So you would presume it would've been in NBC's interest to invest in their shows given the fact that they were making money from overseas sales (much in the same way that Home and Away & Neighbours are being propped up in Australia by their success in the UK).

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    https://people.com/tv/jed-allan-dies-84/

Soap star and Beverly Hills, 90210 actor Jed Allan has died. He was 84.

The actor’s son Rick Brown broke the sad news on Saturday with a heartfelt Facebook post on a fan page dedicated to Allan.

“So sorry to post the very sad news of my father’s passing tonight,” Brown. “He died peacefully and was surrounded by his family and loved so much by us and so many others.”

Allan was known for his starring roles as Don Craig on Days of Our Lives, C.C. Capwell on Santa Barbara as well as for playing Steve Sanders’ dad, Rush Sanders, on Beverly Hills, 90210.

In a touching tribute to his onscreen father, 90210 star Ian Ziering shared a photo of the pair smiling together as their father-son characters.

“So sad to hear we’ve lost another 90210 classmate,” he wrote. “I had the pleasure of working with Jed Allan from 94 to 99. He played Rush Sanders, Steve’s father. Such a great guy to work with, he will be missed.”

Allan’s passing came five days after fellow 90210 actor Luke Perry died on Monday at the age of 52.

In another tribute, soap star A. Martinez, who shared a screen with Allan on Santa Barbara, remembered the actor for his “fearless” work as well as his “generous support” over the years.

“Jed was a pro’s pro in every sense, and an inspired artist in the moments when the red lights came on — he was fearless, and his work moved millions,” he wrote. “I first met him in the early seventies, when his son Mitch Brown and I were cast mates on the TV series, The Cowboys. With his effervescent wife Toby at his side, he quietly asked me to keep a watchful eye out for Mitch, as it was his first gig. Jed was already a star by then, and he was as warm and articulate and charming as anyone I’d ever met. A decade later, when he came to Santa Barbara, the show finally began to find its eventually glorious stride. I LOVED working with him, as did everyone else who got the chance.

“Years later, he visited me backstage during the difficult run of a play I was doing — offered typically generous support — and then spoke of the loss of Toby, the love of his life, who had passed away shortly before, with literally no warning. (It was hard to imagine a human being missing another more…) In my dream, the two of them are dancing together again tonight — a great comfort to all who’ve known and loved them over the years. Condolences now to their wonderful sons, and gratitude to Jed for his unerring joy in the telling of stories, and for offering always the embrace of his massive heart,” he added, speaking of the actor’s late wife Toby Brown.

Allan’s first big role came in 1963, when he joined the cast of beloved daytime soap General Hospital, according to Entertainment Weeklythis link opens in a new tab. Throughout his career, the actor also appeared on Lassie, playing Ranger Scott Turner, and The Secret Storm, before landing his role on Days of Our Lives in 1971.

After over a decade playing Don Craig on the NBC series, he joined the cast of Santa Barbara in 1986 and remained on the show until 1993. The following year, he began appearing on Beverly Hills, 90210.

Allan, who was married to wife Toby Brown until she died in 2001, is survived by three sons, according to the Liberty Voice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    I recall reading that Days was exported to Australia as early as the 1970s. AW was really popular in Canada right up to the end. Santa Barbara, though, became such a hit in France that NBC actually had them do remotes there occasionally (just as CBS will occasionally send B&B overseas for remotes). I think SB was their first and only taste of international acclaim, and this likely helped the show stay on the air a bit longer than it might have. Still, NBC soaps had various different owners, so they (NBC) likely did not want to stick their neck out too much for shows they did not own directly. Witness the difference between their treatment of the above-mentioned shows and how they treated Passions, a show they owned outright. The ratings were disastrous, but NBC pummeled viewers with Passions promos, and kept finding new ways to get exposure for the show (running it on Sci-Fi Channel for a while, eventually on DirecTV, and placing it online when that was a new thing). ABC did try to sell some of its shows overseas, but I don't think they had much success; the only one I recall was Loving being sold to Italy and being a hit for a while. I recall when I went to Italy in 1988, they had Guiding Light reruns airing under the name Sentieri (lighthouse?) or something like that, and I was transfixed by the dubbing. It was especially surprising since the owner of that show, Procter and Gamble, rarely syndicated any of their shows (AW being one of them). P&G could make a handsome sum of money if they would release their shows on some kind of streaming service...but I guess they feel they don't need the money, so they just sit on tons (30+ years) of old tapes.

The best part of having these soaps syndicated overseas (or anywhere) means there are more opportunities for fans to discover old, "lost" episodes. A lot of old Days stuff was found in Australia, and a lot of the best SB stuff comes from French-dubbed or Dutch-dubbed clips.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    God.... Imagine if Netflix started airing all those years of old soaps. I would be an unemployed 900 lb man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Medals:
    Santa Barbara definitely benefitted from premiering when the nighttime soaps were at the height of their powers around the world. A daytime Dallas, at half the price, that you could air right from the beginning and keep supersoap fans entertained until the big guns came on in the evening.

For example, US daytime soaps were never features of the Irish or UK TV schedules prior to the 80's (Ryan's Hope being the exception when it had a brief run on Irish TV, presumably because of the show's Irish connections). Yet, SB got a full run on Ireland's main channel RTE1 and ran for around three years on ITV in the UK before transferring to the number one satellite channel Sky One (I'm unsure if UK viewers actually got to see the show in it's entirety). The only US daytime soap to have a full run on Irish or UK terrestrial TV since, has been Sunset Beach.

6. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Medals:
    Soaps are one of the few areas that Netflix hasn't explored yet. I know that Amazon Prime has some Dark Shadows available but I'd love to see Netflix either produce their own soap or as you said, start showing old episodes. I know that some of the shows would involve thousands of episodes but I could live with even seeing full runs of the shorter lived stuff like Capitol, The City and Port Charles. I can only presume that digitising so many episodes of soaps vs the return they'd get from them isn't seen as worthwhile for Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    I would really love to see early episodes of shows like The Young And The Restless and All My Children and shows from the '70s and '80s. Even a digital soap channel would be great. Or like airing The Bold And The Beautiful from the beginning. Something that just aired classic soaps on a constant loop.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    I think most networks are simply intimidated by the sheer number of episodes. When SoapNet started airing reruns of Another World they claimed they had every intention of continuing with it to the very end. I mean, if a channel dedicated to soaps can't take on the challenge of airing ten/twelve years of a weekday series, who would? And yet even they discontinued it well before the end. A streaming service obviously has a different format, but I don't think I'd be as comfortable watching it on a laptop as I am watching it on my TV in the format (weekdays) I remember so fondly. Yeah, I'm an old fart. :) SoapNet could have been a treasure trove in the right hands, but ABC/Disney never gave it proper leadership, and the leaders they had never had a decent vision for it.

Santa Barbara and others with shorter runs benefit from not being viewed as such a challenge to program. All soaps pre-1983 or so are spotty in their availability, so those "single episode" finds would lend themselves to streaming services or Video on Demand. I'm sure @Alexis and others can attest to the fact that not every single episode has to be seen in order to enjoy the "gist" of a soap. I've always thought hour-long soaps can be perfectly enjoyable if you only watch Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The other two days are just icing on the cake.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Medals:
    I know that there's a lot of old 50's / 60's sitcoms that have entered the public domain which make them relatively cheap to air which is why you often see them pop up on a loop on obscure low rent digital channels.

https://infogalactic.com/info/List_of_TV_series_with_episodes_in_the_public_domain

Alas, this doesn't appear to have happened to any soaps but I do wish a channel would pick up some of the cheaper series and rerun them. A couple of years ago on Sky Digital in the UK, there were reruns of Strange Paradise on one of the very minor channels. I also know that one of the US channels was (or still may be) airing reruns of The Doctors.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    The Doctors was produced by Colgate-Palmolive, the consumer-products company, much like Procter and Gamble produced a lot of soaps. C-P was a much smaller company in comparison, so they were placing all their eggs in that one basket, so to speak; they kept master tapes of the episodes since this was their crowning achievement. P&G produced so many shows that they simply 'taped over' episodes, re-using the videotape and thus losing all those older episodes forever. People had known for years that the (near-) complete run of The Doctors was in cold storage, but frankly no one thought enough of the show to resurrect it. There would still be a lot of expensive restoration to be done. It wasn't until people saw the value of reruns in the DVD era that someone (originally Hallmark, then the Retro Channel) opted to buy the reruns. Hallmark opted out before they even started airing it, and since I don't have Retro Channel, I'm not sure if they're still airing it. I have watched chunks of these episodes on youtube and while they are engaging and all, they don't set the soap world on fire. You get to see how cheaply soaps were produced, for sure. Retro originally wanted to set itself apart by having reruns of shows not already viewed repeatedly over the years, so The Doctors was a great find for them, but I think it would have been better if Hallmark had held on, since they're more widely distributed.

Edited to correct: TD was bought not by Decades Channel but by the Retro Channel. Corrections in bold.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019