Savannah

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by tommie, May 9, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Cassie, Cassie, Cassie...

Obligatory black character. Why write someone in when you obviously don't have any plan for them? It frustrates me, first it was Rhonda on Melrose Place, then Cynthia on Models Stink, then Nikki on Central Park West and now Cassie on Savannah. _WHY_ have a character you have no plan for? It's like the obligatory gay character who's just "there". Sorry show, you don't become more "diverse" for having a minority on the show, you actually have to give them storylines too! Foreign concept!

/Rant over.... for now.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,220
    I agree with you. It was the same in Titans and the character Scott who always seemed to have a peripheral role rather than being integrated fully into the main storylines, a bit like Mammy in Gone With the Wind.

3. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    And Dominique on Dynasty! There you have a character with true potential, but they just wouldn't use her! That's one that truly pisses me off because you've got Diahann Carroll and every chance in the world to make the character a key player... then they just went "meh".

• Like Like x 2
  4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    God, the jewel nonsense plot in season two is a sign why it got cancelled. I barely know what's going on but I know it's nonsense.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I rewatched this a couple of years ago. Season one is quite strong. It's a pretty good batch of episodes. You can even forgive the obligatory bit of Aaron Spelling cheese that pops up from time to time (in one establishing shot, they actually have a presumably homeless person wandering around carrying a bindle stick. In 1996). Like I'd probably rewatch season one again.

But holy hell, season two is so bad in comparison. I only made it about six episodes in before giving up. Season one felt quite tight and well plotted but season two was just silly. If I remember correctly, it fell into that awful daytime soap trope of moving the story along by having people just happen to overhear or see things at opportune moments. It was just a series of coincidences rather than any kind of intriguing plot progression. And that's just lazy.

There's a number of factors that led to Savannah's cancellation - the change in timeslot, the fact that it didn't really fit in with what the network would become, the network's argument that soaps don't repeat well. But some of the blame has to lie with the writers too. They took their eye off the ball in the second season and the show suffered as a result.

• Like Like x 4
  6. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    That was my exact thought when watching that stuff for the first time. I have yet to finish season 2 but....

I DO think it really improved around the second half of the season. The first episodes are indeed the reason why it took me years to even watch that part of the season. At some point, Peter Dunne arrives (showrunner of the legendary seasons 4-6 of Knots Landing) and, just like he did when he joined MELROSE in its last season, the show improved. I think it's worth sticking with it for the second half, but don't expect miracles.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Thanks for the advice. I might give it another crack so.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    What season had the Alexanders?

I think the problems started with the evil twin (or was he just a look-a-like?).
    Cheesy plotlines like that should be saved for season 8 or 9, but not the second season. It looked as if they were already running out of ideas.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    You have to admit that Peyton yelling out "TRAAAAAVIIIIIIIISSSSS" was a great cliffhanger though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I'm pretty sure the Alexanders were a season two addition. The parents were at least. Maybe the son Brian had appeared in season one.

Random question but does anyone know why George Eads got an "and George Eads as Nick Corelli" credit in the opening titles? I thought this was usually reserved for bigger names in a cast or special guest stars like Heather Locklear. It's not that he was particularly well known pre-Savannah so his profile wouldn't have been on par with Ray Wise who had the only other "and" credit. Was it just a device to hammer home the fact that he was now playing a different character?

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    Perhaps he had a contract for only one season, and the special credit was a condition if they wanted him back to play another character?

And yet Paul Satterfield got the best parts (I think).
    [​IMG]
    According to IMDb he's now starring in a digital (!) drama series THE BAY.

:think:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    It's not difficult to come up with something shocking or outrageous. Unfortunately, soap writers sometimes write themselves into a corner because of these kind of cliffhangers.

But I'm not suggesting that it's easy to write a soap.

13. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Actually...i felt that the show at end of season 2 had finally come together. It took 1.5 season to get to what I had been waiting for..and it was all over.

Imagine if knots landing got cancelled after season 3 just as the promise of Val vs Abby with Gary in the middle was being realized.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Paul Satterfield, one of the many actors to get rescued from daytime thanks to Spelling's 90's primetime fare, only to be unceremoniously sent back to where they came from within a number of years. See also: Jack Wagner, Shannon Sturges, Rena Sofer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    Before I read it on the internet (soapchat, probably) I didn't even know it was cancelled. At that time it didn't "look" cancelled - there was nothing more they could have done.
    Sure, Peyton vowed revenge, but that was the point of her story: that she'd end up miserable and furious.
    But it's not like I wanted to see all those tricks all over again.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    Well I guess it's good to know there's always a workplace for tv actors.

Still, many of those tv actors used to be extremely "hot" and popular (for a limited time).
    [​IMG]
    What went wrong?

17. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    I don't think it's that anything went "wrong". I think a lot of actors are more attracted to an interesting role, rather it be in a play, a movie, or a TV series. Regular work is regular work; some actors don't like the endless auditioning and butt-kissing that one has to do when pursuing roles, and of course all the self-promotion that one has to do in order to remain in the public eye. Having a place to go every day to do what they like to do is enough for some people. Being a "star" might not be important as being employed. I'm sure some actors who made a name for themselves can command a higher salary than some newbie. If they do have a bit of an ego, perhaps they enjoy being a "big fish in a small pond".

A lot of soap actors with families remain in their jobs because of the schedule. In times past they'd have a 6am-3pm type of workday five days per week, though these days the schedule features longer days with more days off. Either way it's much more family-friendly than having an actor jetting off on location for two months, spending additional weeks in studios, and having an occasional weekend off to visit the wife and kids.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    Well, it took me 6.5 years, but I finally finished the second and last season of SAVANNAH! Honestly, the show really started showing some promise on the last third of the season, enough that I would have liked another season to see what it could be.

Some really great stuff they did was the inspired Eleanor/Edward marriage, Tom and Peyton as a scheming couple that developed genuine feelings for each other, and Dean and Lane being a relatively steady couple to counter all the lies and drama.

They also built up very nicely the whole Peyton-married-Tom-as-Reese plot towards the end, genuinely surprised me when they revealed Nick was scheming with Reese, and gave it a very satisfying season finale that basically doubled as a series finale.

Had the show moved on, it would have been lovely to have seen Peyton's revenge.

19. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Yeah, a season 3 could've been interesting and I think Cassie might've been incorporated more into the fold now that Peyton would've been on the out with the others.

It's too bad The WB basically didn't give it a chance, but with it delivering so-so ratings and repeating lousily they took a chance on a certain vampire slayer instead.

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    I felt completely satisfied when Savannah ended. I loved it, but they had done every twist & turn possible and double-triple-crossed eachother until there was nothing left to cross.
    I don't think I would have liked a third season that would focus on that boring Cassie character.