1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season 10 Episode When JR Confronts Sue Ellen about BD Calhoun

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Dallas Fanatic, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Dallas Fanatic

Dallas Fanatic Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Month

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I used to be on this site about 15 years ago and just rejoined. So not sure if this topic has been discussed before. However, today I was bored and started looking at the episodes on the IMDB streaming service. I remembered a scene in season 10 after JR confronts Sue Ellen when he gets the photos of her in bed with BD Calhoun. I watched the scene in which JR finally tells her that BD is after him and he doesn't want her to get hurt and just wants her to be careful. Sue Ellen, slightly in tears, makes the comment that she wonders if BD raped her. For some reason, that scene is so touching for me. I know there were a number of scenes where JR said nice things to Sue Ellen to try to woo her one way or another. But something about this scene (and a few others that follow) show the genuineness of JR's love for his wife and the mother of his child. It sort of choked me up a bit.

Also the scene shortly thereafter where she watches him tuck John Ross in bed and she says to him with honest sincerity "what a wonderful father you are...to bad you aren't a good husband".

Those scenes between the two of them during the BD Calhoun kidnapping are some of the most genuine and touching scenes between them in the entire series.

I know this is a random comment, but I just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else thought the same.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    This particular subject hasn't been discussed, as far as I remember. It's an interesting one because it shows the potential they had to take the character of JR in a direction where he'd become more mature and more ethical as a result of learning the hard way that being devious, inconsiderate and cruel wasn't going to get him what he wanted. JR always said the most important thing to him, his life's goal, was to make his father proud of him. Believed that was what he wanted most, yet they never allowed the character to consistently act in a way to where you see that his character was growing, that he was actually working towards making the necessary changes that would have made it possible for him to become that guy.

Suppose they'd committed to having JR achieve that and they had storylines where we saw him put forth the effort to make the changes that would allow him to achieve his goal. If he becomes a better, more mature, more considerate man, then they could have JR and Sue Ellen's marriage finally become good! They could have had another child. I think seeing how JR would act towards a daughter of his own and how he'd raise her would have created some great TV!

If they'd had JR's character grow, they could have shown JR and Sue Ellen in a successful marriage where they helped each other achieve their goals. It would have ben something fresh and compelling to watch. Instead they gave us more of the same - JR and Sue Ellen fighting, breaking up, slowly getting back together, and then repeating that cycle over and over. Eventually even they couldn't justify having another break-up and reconciliation between JR and Sue Ellen so they had her leave JR. They didn't know how to keep Sue Ellen relevant to the story without JR so they let Linda Gray go. That was the final nail in the coffin.

The fans loved the original characters and didn't want to see them all go. Since the producers and writers refused to have the characters mature and experience personal growth, they ran out of new, exciting things to do with those characters and the show withered and died as a result.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,335
    When in fact the opposite was true. They actually didn't know what to do with JR once Sue Ellen left.

Great post Kenny.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Thanks, Sarah.

Yes, not knowing what to do with JR was every bit as true as not knowing what to do with Sue Ellen when the two finally went their separate ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,335
    I love JR and Sue Ellen very very much - in my opinion they are the couple on the show with the best chemistry and their relationship goes deeper than a lot of people have realised or explored.

What you say is just beautiful and sums up a lot of how I feel about them, except being a fan of them for over 40 years, it goes a lot deeper for me. You're absolutely right and I hope you get to explore and enjoy them further. Thanks for taking the time to watch that scene and post this.

You should also watch the scene where he presents her with the photos that Calhoun took. He is so jealous and upset, it's obvious how much he cares, but JR is a master at disguising it most of the time. Not so much here.

6. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +795
    They were definitely very sweet (and rare) scenes between the two of them. I always adore moments when J.R. actually cares for Sue Ellen. The scenes in the hospital after baby John Ross is kidnapped is another example, if not as obvious. The finale scene after the car accident when John Ross is born and when J.R. apologises to Sue Ellen for the Holly Harwood affair - she was unconscious in both but they were still very poignant scenes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,335
    :love6:Another scene is just before he goes to meet Calhoun and, fearing he won't come back, he tells her he loves her. And she tells him she loves him too. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::love6:

8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    There's also a powerful scene in season 9 while Sue Ellen is being de-toxed. Mandy is in JR's office and JR starts talking about Sue Ellen and how she used to be so beautiful when first met her and now she's like a different woman entirely. He was visibly shaken by seeing her in that state. JR must have loved Sue Ellen a lot, but it usually took a near death experience for him to show how much he loved her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,335
    Aw...yes I agree and thanks for posting.

Sue Ellen is so much more beautiful in so many ways than Mandy - and JR knows that. She has a connection to him that no one else ever had or would ever had. The problem with JR was he always liked to bury his head in the sand over certain things - Sue Ellen being one of them. He couldn't stand to see her in that way but struggled to help her also. Then, in the dream and in Season 9 as described here, he starts to see her as she used to be, and falls for her all over again.

10. JC20071991

JC20071991 Soap Chat Newbie EXP: 7 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Another great moment is when JR goes into Sue Ellens room to check on her and the next morning she says ‘I was so excited by the prospect I fell right back to sleep’ - such dead pan delivery as ever too!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,335
    That was a good one. She was only teasing though and I bet she was secretly thrilled

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. JC20071991

JC20071991 Soap Chat Newbie EXP: 7 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Completely agree! One of the few highlights of the later seasons!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. ThatOtherMJ

ThatOtherMJ Soap Chat Member EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    LTL Pricing Analyst
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yep. They missed the "power couple" opportunity.