Season 11 - Rock Bottom and give 12 and 13 a chance

Discussion in 'Dallas Season Reviews' started by Grangehill1, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i would argue, season 11 (DVD) is the worst of the original run. Victoria and Susan have gone. None of the core cast interact with each other and they spend more time with guest cast.

And the cliffhanger should have been sue Ellen accidentally being shot at the apartment due to the fight.

With all of this in mind, don't people think that season 12 and 13 feel much fresher after season 11? Season 11 is very much a dying show and yet the next two that come along seem to be rejuvenated with new characters added and fresh blood. Okay so the casting choices may have been not spot on but the programme makers were clearly aiming at the younger audience and Dallas does feel fresh again.

Anyone else agree? I honestly feel 11 is the worst. Even season 14 when you watch in hindsight and possibly watch it as quickly as possible is better.l (I'm saying that because there are
    Major pacing issues across the series). There's a funeral type quality across that season with things very much coming to the end.

2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    Seasons 12,13 and 14 are far, far worse than #11 because they have a sickening, almost claustrophobic amount of screen time given to Michelle. You just can't get away from that silly twit in the last 3 seasons. The makers of the show basically said to the audience" We're gonna ram Michelle Stevens down your throats until you like her. The actress who played her couldn't hold a candle to Sheree J. Wilson. Add another terrible newcomer in Sasha Mitchell as James, just a little later than Michelle's debut, pair James with Michelle and you have scene after scene after scene of two of the two most incompetent actors in Dallas history to be given credit in the opening picture scene which introduces the main characters (in place of the 3 way split screen picture intro because apparently they thought nobody liked that).

Season 11 has an interesting battle for control of Weststar (if unrealistic because if you do the math, Sue Ellen's $30,000 bought 5% of Weststar and that makes Weststar worth in total, a whopping $600,000). I love the scenes with JR and the father of Kimberly, DR. Styles who was given one of the greatest lines ever to be spoken in Dallas. After JR says he's not going to marry Kimberly but he's still gonna fight for control of Weststar, Styles says to JR: "Men have tried to run roughshod over me before. I'd be glad to show you their tombstones."

Season 12 is better than the last two seasons because at least it has the interesting story of the tanker collision. If you can tolerate Sue Ellen and the mediocre actor who plays her British lover in season 12, it's not a bad season, although the Haleyville storyline is of course ridiculously unrealistic. JR is charged with rape of a 23 year old woman (who consented and never said she didn't consent) by a Justice Of The Peace while deprived of a lawyer, or even the opportunity to make a phone call, shows JR in a situation nobody would want to see him trapped in, and which is far below Dallas standards...

• Like Like x 2
  3. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I think 11 is ok but far too much focus on Nicholas for me personally. They tried the big refresh with 12 but the Hayleyville start was truly appalling - love the idea for it being Sue Ellen shot by accident though for 11's cliffhanger. I think season 13 is probably my least favourite because it's when the wood starts to rot...quite literally with the introduction of Michelle/James/Vanessa - the very fact that Michelle & James got in the opening credits angered me then and still does now (silly I know). Season 14 is obviously the worst of the worst, but I kinda don't count that as Dallas as it was so far removed from the show I knew & loved with less Ewing interaction than ever - Bobby seeing dead April every week, J.R losing week after week, BBG gone...it was a pale imitation of itself. But yeah, 13 for me is the worst season.

4. pete lashmar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    For a moment I thought I wrote this myself! ;):D

Michelle Stevens was the only character ever to appear in Dallas who was completely and totally unlikable. She had absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever and she irritated the hell out of me - and she never did get her comeuppance, she really should have been killed off in the most gruesome death ever...along with James - together they made Noah's Ark look less wooden.

It's a great shame they couldn't get Linda back for 14, the storyline for LeeAnn De La Vega would have been so much better if it was Sue Ellen & LeeAnn teaming up, the very idea that Michelle helped bring down J.R was just so bad, how the writers didn't see that is beyond me, but I think they really didn't care by that point.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Grangehill1

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wow this is interesting. I genuinely disagree with you. I find season 11 almost impossible to watch. From the bad handling of Pam's exit to JR and Sue Ellen splitting up again. Bobby spending more time with Phyllis than anybody else. April being kidnapped (why didn't they make it sue Ellen?)

The show is literally dying on its feet. And you can see the desperate need for new blood.

My point is just for a minute ignore the poor casting choices and look at what they were TRYING to do in season 12 and 13. They tried to refresh the show because by season 11 it's almost (in my opinion) unwatchable.

11 and 12 do genuinly feel like they were trying new things. Cliff joins Ewing Oil! JR marries somebody else! It just seems fresher.

And once again if you can try and sit through 14 in a week or two, it's genuinly better than 11. With the hindsight of knowing what's going to happen and that it's finishing and not having to wait week after week for JR's hospital plot to finish (as I said very bad pacing issues in 14), it's got a very dark air about the whole thing with things winding down.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I love it when that happens! It's happened to me several times over the years.

Yes, Michelle really was an awful woman! First she sponged off Cliff, while leading him on despite having no intention of ever having a serious relationship with him. Then she sponged off April. After April was good enough to agree to financial back Michelle in a multimillion dollar nightclub, Michelle couldn't even be bothered to try to be conservative and careful with April's money. Then she ditched April on April's wedding to go to start a new job. She couldn't even be bothered to let April know in person. Instead of talking to her face to face about why she couldn't accept the position of maid of honor, she simply left a short note and took off to the island where she would be starting a new job. Unfortunately she either wouldn't or couldn't keep that job and returned to Dallas. The time without her was nice!

7. pete lashmar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    You have to remember that when season 11 aired there was no internet and online discussion or spoilers (with the exception of newspapers), so no one knew 100% that VP wasn't going to return - because by all accounts the writers and execs were always trying to get her back - but yes the handling of her post crash mummy and subsequent disappearance were and still are hugely frustrating - but the plots moved on quickly from there even though fans were unhappy with the non resolution.

But it was still business as usual & J.R's fight for WestStar was great to watch because we wanted to see him get revenge.

Many TV shows have fallen into the "Re-invention" trap - execs lose sight of what made a show so popular, and by changing the tone, the theme, the characters etc almost always fails, they would never get back to the glory days so they went in completely different directions and lost even more viewers.

Also, talking about the theme & titles...season 13 has the very worst theme & titles for the show - suddenly the split screen has gone and we have some incidental music mixed in with the theme with a sudden and badly timed jump of the Dallas theme thrown in...just because they wanted to extend the titles with Michelle, James etc appearing....a true abomination of one of Dallas's biggest successes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Grangehill1

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I remember at the time it was very much public knowledge that Victoria had left and was not going back. Even pre- internet the majority knew she'd gone and would never be returning.

I would argue the asthetic relaunch if you will with the new titles gave the show a much needed lift with the eye very much on the 90210 (just round the corner) generation.

Season 11 for me was flogging a dead horse. Watch it back m. All the main cast bar a couple interact with guest cast rather than each other. The painful Ray and Jenna storyline limps on.

I get JR would have cheated again but after what happened with Mandy I just found the whole Kimberly business completely unbelievable.

With the Nicholas Pearce storyline it should have been Sue Ellen that was kidnapped, not April.

It should have been sue Ellen that was shot at the end of the series by mistake this setting up season 12 as her Swansong where maybe she's paralyzed and has to face her demons again.

For me season 11 is a show in the death throws

9. pete lashmar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Well I suppose we all have a least favourite seasons, but Season 13's Michelle & James relationship/murder mystery/one flew over the cuckoo's nest/Stephanie Rogers/lack of any real storyline for Cliff/J.R & Cally Marriage Councillor problems/Bobby running after April to have garden BBQ's & kid's play ground chats are by far worse stories and plots than season 11.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    Although I believe season 11 is far superior to #13 and #14, I think that your ideas for Sue Ellen being kidnapped instead of April and then Sue Ellen being shot by mistake and possibly being paralyzed are not only original enough that I've never heard anyone suggest the storylines go that way but I think they would have had the potential to be excellent!

There was a tray shot fired, so it's certainly possible that could have happened. It wold be fun deciding if Pearce fired the stray shot that injured Sue Ellen of if JR fires the stray shot. I have to say your idea has the potential to have been considerably better than the Pearce being thrown over the balcony railing to his death was for several reasons. One reason is that they handled the police work so nonsensically. Pearce and Sue Ellen clearly break and enter. Pearce clearly assaults JR in JR's own home after JR had asked them both to leave. So B&E and assault so far. Then J.R. attempts to retreat to stop the fight but Pearce follows him all the way out to the balcony. Both men are fighting but JR is the only one of them who is defending himself from an intruder in his own home. He kills Pearce in self-defense and then while he's just standing on the balcony (not walking towards Sue Ellen as she lied to the police about it) she attempts to murder him. He was incapacitated from the first shot it seemed, but she kept shooting him 3 times. Despite having this extremely clear cut case, the police can't decide if they should prosecute Sue Ellen or LR and in fact their first reaction is to arrest JR!?!?

I agree fully with your opinion of these sub par storylines you've mentioned here and that season 11 is certainly better than 13. However, what do you think of Grangehill1's idea for the culmination of the Sue Ellen, Nicholas Pearce, and JR storyline, or at least what would have been the cliffhanger ending for season 11 if he'd had it his way? I think it's very good and very original.

11. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,877
    I really enjoy season 12 and 13 (DVD). I liked the younger new characters when I first watched the show. :)
    But I don't know if I would say they were better than season 11 as that's the season I watched first and that hooked me on the show.

Originally I liked season 14 and didn't want Dallas to go off the air. But when watching the show in reruns I do think that season 14 (DVD) showed a clear decline and was in fact the worst season of the entire run. Miss Ellie, Clayton and Lucy's absense was really felt.

Also April being killed and Bobby mourning for her and looking for revenge all season was not fun either. I wish they had never killed her off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    I agree that Season 11, despite its flaws (too much Jack Scalia, for one thing; everybody ignoring Pam's exit) is the last time DALLAS feels even remotely like DALLAS.

But did Sue Ellen's movie happen the same year as the tanker collision? I thought they were a season apart, but I haven't seen them in a while.

13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,877
    Pam crashed into the tanker at the end of season 10 (DVD) the mummy storyline was in season 11.
    Sue Ellen's movie was in her last season on the show which was season 12.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    No, I think we mean the tanker oil spill storyline, which I thought was Season 13 (per DVD count).

15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,877
    :lolo:Right you are. No the tanker collision happened a year after Sue Ellen's movie. It was season 13.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    I'd like Lady Jessica's S13 murder spree to be done seriously, like a Joan Crawford horror movie, with the victims not Clayton's business associate but, as I recall JfL once suggested, the Dallas cartel members we knew -- since we were rarely seeing them anyway anymore and the show was in its final chapter or two.

The lone survivor can be Marilee Stone. I picture her angry and embittered in the hospital wrapped in thick gauze from her injuries, blaming the Ewings and planning to sue --- until Bobby shows up and hints that he might sleep with her once she heals.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,440
    Reading all the comments above just reinforces my view not to purchase the remaining seasons of Dallas. It died when Bobby flat-lined. Others will rightfully state Dallas died when Pam crashed into the tanker. As if watching the tortuous Dream Season isn't enough I then only have Pam for a further season before her departure. It's just to much to endue.

18. pete lashmar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I remember seeing the season cliffhanger when it was screened live & thought it was a brilliant cliffhanger, but in hindsight, knowing the farce that followed when Season 12 started it was completely ruined but treating it as a comedy - 3 shots and she didn't even hit an artery...? Stupid really.

I think with the knowledge that 12 would be Sue Ellen's last season the idea of her being shot by the stray bullet is fantastic and could lead to all sorts of complications...such as shrapnel moving towards the heart as the season goes on, it would have certainly been more dramatic that the movie idea - which as I've said in another thread kinda spoiled the show for me, seeing the Southfork interior sets complete with cameras and the 4th wall...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Michelle Stevens the most dislikeable character? Em no. Mandy Winger - no redeeming qualities. Full of hot air and own self importance. Nasty nasty self loving twat of the highest order. A she devil who should have been destroyed. She needed shot!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1