1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Season 12 Thoughts as I watch for the first Time (No Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by JROG, Sep 23, 2018.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    I have been watching Season 12. First 5 episodes so far (so, up to "What If?"). Something feels off about the show. It's weirdly structured. A little uninspired. And, most sadly of all, a little boring. That being said, there's still good stuff, like Danny's sudden kidnapping/murder attempt of Gary and the climax of Karen's stalker storyline. Still, I do not see where this is going from here.

I have also finally seen the infamous "Pollyanna" speech scene. I find it hard to divorce myself from years of opinions I've read about it, ranging from very positive to very negative, but, overall, I liked it well enough, especially when she goes into what we can't do in the world anymore -- until she starts saying she wants to be a Pollyanna. There is something teeth-clenching about that, but Lee's performance here was very, very good (and much more controlled than her usual).

In the surprising instance we'll get some discussion going, please do not discuss anything beyond the episodes I've watched. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +152
    The trouble is that I can’t remember what happened in the first five episodes vs. the rest of the season. Perhaps it’ll be easier to have a discussion once you’ve finished the season.

3. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    I didn't think I would, but I've been really enjoying Anne's blackmail scheme storyline. Nick Schillace is a really fun guest character, and the two have a lot of chemistry.

Danny's death also being revealed to be basically an accident with Julie knowing but doing nothing to stop it was also satisfying.

There was this really lovely Mack/Paige scene in episode 8, where he told her she deserves better than Greg and that he wishes he were there when she was growing up to tell her how great she is.

On the other hand, Val bumped her head and is acting all sorts of crazy. Gary is finally beginning to suspect, but we don't have to. It's yet another Val-is-crazy story. Sigh.

4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,262
    The Danny storyline was basically a remix of the Jill storyline. From what I recall a lot of this season felt like that - old plots in a new form.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,458
    I thought they were very different.
    Pierce Lawton however….

6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    Which in some ways was a rehash of the Ciji storyline. I understand that was their first big ratings success and they tried to emulate it several times - with diminishing returns.

7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Murakame was a retread of Apolune/Wolfbridge, too. Methinks the Lechowicks were running out of ideas.

I guess we should be relieved Greg didn't pull out a gun and shoot Abby at the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,262
    You're right, especially with the structure of the story with flashbacks and such. It wasn't a hugely used device on the other main three primetime soaps if I remember, but Knots seemed to often do them. I guess that's why it feels a bit daytime-ish to me sometimes.

• Like Like x 1