Melrose Place Season 2 versus season 3

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by tommie, Oct 24, 2017.

?

Season 2 or season 3?

1. Season 2

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Season 3

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Another season

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    There's two seasons of Melrose that are absolute awesome. Season 2 and season 3.

Season 2 was somewhat sane but had that awesome plot with Jo and Reed - season 3 was just batshit crazy however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I don't think season 3 was "batshit crazy". Yes, it had some absurd moments, but the characters were still very true to themselves and maintained some sort of friendship, even some unlikely ones like Jo being worried about Sydney's strange behavior. Come season 4, everyone seemed to hate everyone.

When it comes to season 2 vs season 3, I'd definitely pick season 3. In season 2, I only enjoyed the Michael-Jane-Sydney-Kimberly quadrangle. Billy and Alison annoyed me to no end, and I never cared for either Jo/Jake or Amanda/Jake as couples.

The one thing I didn't like about season 3 was its uglified opening credits. Shortening the music was one thing, but mixing old footage for some cast members with new footage for other cast members looked tragic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    Sorry, but season 3 was definitively in "batshit crazy" territory mostly because of, well, Kimberly. She just went mental but at least it happened with characters who weren't as mental as her. When she finally delivered her "big bang" at the end of the season it made sense because Kimberly pretty much hated everyone in that building.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Yes, Kimberly was crazy – but that doesn't mean that the whole show was "batshit crazy". Kimberly's descent into craziness was written in a believable way over the course of several months, and the audience could understand where she was coming from. The same happened with Sydney joining a cult that season – it made sense for an outcast like her, who was rejected so many times, to trust people who were nice to her.

That season the show also explored Jake's family issues, the roots of Alison's drinking problem, Amanda battling cancer, Jo trying to be a mother etc. Of course it was packed with "shocking" scenes – it was a soap after all – but underneath they tried to develop the characters in a somewhat realistic way.

Come season 4, this was no longer the case. After blowing up the building, Kimberly spend 2 episodes in the psychiatric ward, was released, removed her monitoring, became a radio host, was kidnapped by a stranger, became Sydney's shrink and ended up with split personality. Sydney morphed into to being plain dumb and being Michael's tool – didn't she learn anything from her previous experiences? Amanda lost her grip and became a whining victim, Alison's alcoholism was just used for laughs, Brooke became a caricature of herself, Jo lost her compassionate side, Jane became a ruthless bitch overnight and betrayed her friends etc. These were no longer the same characters, they were basically like brainless zombies. This is what I'd call "crazy" because the writers clearly didn't know what they were doing at that point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    Oooh, you make a good case. I'll have to think about it all. :)

6. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    2 was better than 1. 3 was better than 2. But 4 was definitely better than 3 and 2...it was crazy crazy crazy! After that, no. 5 was better than 2 but not 3, 6 sucked, and 7 was trying to be what 3/4 were but tamer.

3 was crazy, but 4 was even more crazier. Every episode was crazy! We had so many, many deaths that season! Pratically all the big guest stars, one by one were killed off...Jack, Hayley, Vic (not too big of a guest star but big enough that season) Bobby, Alicia...then Richard dead but not!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Both season 2 and 3 were great. I'll take anything from season 2 through the end of season 5. The first season was a little bit of a bore up until the very end. And the final two seasons were a step down.

• Winner Winner x 1