Season 7: Episode Discussion

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones on HBO' started by Emelee, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    I saved episode 7x02 for tonight. Just saw it, and things are definitely happening all over.

King's Landing:
    Cercei has a weapon in the works to fight dragons! So that's why she's so calm... She's also gathering some allys. Samwell's horrible father for one - no surprise there.

Dragonstone:
    The plan is to save as many civilians as possible, therefore not attacking King's Landing with dragons and the entire army. That's kind of them. I loved that Varys said that he won't follow a king or queen blindly - he will follow the one he thinks is the best, and it's Daenerys (at least for now). So Daenerys is sending the unsullied to take Casterly Rock; House Lannister's place. Cercei won't like that. And Tyrion is trying to outsmart his devil sister. So far so good. And Daenerys, thanks to Melisandre's advice, is summoning Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen, her newphew, without knowing it. That meeting is probably happening next episode. Should be interesting.
    Oh, and even Grey Worm got to have some action! Hear that, Theon? Grey Worm!

Wherever Arya is:
    She's been so busy keeping track of what Cercei does that she had no idea that the Boltons were dead and Jon is the new King of the North. See, that's what happens when you get too obsessed about one thing! I loved that she finally found out. And who was that dire wolf she encountered? Nymeria is back!! But it's been so long since Arya let her go that Nymeria has formed a whole new life in the wild. So sad to see her go - I hope she returns (again).

Winterfell:
    Jon gets word from Samwell that Dragonstone carries tons of dragon glass - something that can kill White Walkers. So naturally, Jon wants to go there and collect. I don't know why Sansa is so against it. Has she reasons to distrust Daenerys and Tyrion that I am unaware of? Well, she did mellow when Jon said that she will rule Winterfell until his return.
    Jon and Davos ride for Dragonstone, but not before Jon tells Littlefinger to stay the heck away from Sansa, or else! Littlefinger didn't seem to scared of that threat though, with that smirk on his face. He should be scared though - Sansa ruthlessly had Ramsey murdered, and Arya is on her way.

Old Town:
    Samwell continues to entertain. He's just too funny! No barfing in this episode, but still some funny sounds and looks. I bet carrying books and cleaning wasn't part of his plan when traveling there. But sneaking around and doing things he's not supposed to has turned very fortunate for others. Greyscaled Jorah was on the brink of killing himself when Sam walked in with tools and creams. Time to experiment! Gloves may do the trick, so that he isn't killed like the last person trying to cure greyscale. First step towards modern health care! But boy that seamed to hurt! Next step should be figuring out proper anesthesia!

Ocean somewhere:
    Yara and Ellaria is getting it on as new psycho Euron Greyjoy and his army arrives with killer ships. While I don't mourn the death of the Dornish sand snakes (yippie!), I had wished someone else had gotten the honors.
    However, mommy Ellaria and her bestest daughter weren't seen being killed, so I guess they were only captured. A present for Cercei, maybe? They did kill Cercei's daughter afterall. Maybe Cercei will get the honors?
    Yara is captured too, and Theon......................... instead of stepping up, trying to save his sister, he bails on her. Jumps in the water to escape himself. I bet all viewers were going [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now Euron has Yara, and only Ramsey and Joffrey could possibly know what he wants to do with her.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    This season is really fast-paced!! It took Jon less than 1 episode to go from Winterfell to Dragonstone. Jaime started off episode 3 in KL and ended up finishing his business in Highgarden before the episode was over. Casterly Rock was invaded quickly. Euron managed to arrive at KL in episode 1, conquered the Greyjoy/Sand fleet and returned to KL in episode 3. Samwell met and cured Jorah within 3 episodes.
    In 3 episodes, they've managed things that would normally take 10 episodes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650
    Yes and we had some great scenes that lasted more than the usual 5 minutes we get. I really enjoyed how she reacted to his warning that the dead are coming. I didn't want their meeting to be resolved over a few words. I wanted it to be hard for both of them.

Absolutely and it's been worth it's weight in gold.

I said to Wifey how great it was that we are moving fast after years of waiting for some of this current moments.

4. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    I like that it's been a slow build. We got to really know the characters and see where they come from, what has shaped them etc.

But when you look back, a whole lot has happened in the 6 seasons before. Remember how Daenerys was a complete no one, ruled by her brother and having absolutely no power? Remember how Jon was a bastard who was only good enough to join the Night's Watch? Remember how Tyrion was a bullied drunk? Remember how Cercei was Robert's degraded queen? Remember how Jaime had absolutely no conscience or honor? Remember how Sansa was a spoiled brat that craved pretty things? Remember how Arya was a tomboy who just wanted to do something exciting with her life? And remember how Bran was just a climbing nosey kid?

While it may not feel like it, incredibly much has happened with the main characters!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650
    Yes, don't get me wrong, I've loved how they've done this. I'm a big fan of a slow build up if the result is worth it. But saying that, it's not felt like it's dragged with (like you mention) so much that has happened.

If anything, I found the biggest drag was with Arya, especially when she was in the place with no name. That and Bran's story, but they gave us a break in season 5 so it wasn't much of a drag.

I don't know the story so I haven't been watching every year wondering when the characters are going to meet or when the White Walkers will play a bigger role. It's been an inedible journey and now we're nearing the end, I can feel a massive pay off.

6. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    I think Arya and Bran learned some major things during their journeys. By tracking down the 3-eyed raven, Bran could take over. Now he knows a whole lot. But he has yet to understand everything as they are fragments in incorrect order. He knows that Jon is a Targaryen, but hasn't fully understood it. I believe that Bran's ability to see the past and the future will be key somewhere along the line.

Arya learned some great skills overseas. By being able to take others' faces, she can spy on pretty much anyone and manipulate things as she likes. She's also become a killing machine! I am curious to find out how she will use her face-swapping ability aside from erasing House Frey.

I believe both Arya's and Bran's supernatural-ish abilities will help them win. Probably against the army of the dead -- the BIG fight.

How epic won't the last season be with the ultimate battles?! :eck::eck:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    I still don't get how that thingy with the faces works. So can Arya just put on every face of every person she killed? Ever? Or just those she killed after she became noone? But she didn't even become noone, as she's still Arya Stark.
    Can she use all the faces in the great hall of faces? Does it mean that Walder Freys face is in that hall now as well? How did it get there?
    And when she puts on a face, the whole body proportion plus clothes change as well to fit the face? Or is it just an illusion, some kind of projection?
    As i don't know the books i wonder if this is better explained there than just

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650
    Yes that have and I agree with all the points you made - but it doesn't change how I felt like it dragged along for me.

9. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    I'm not sure how it works, but as GoT is a fantasy series, things don't work as in real life. Can't apply our physics laws.

But I don't think it matters if she calls herself no one or Arya - she was taught the skill.

Maybe she had the face of Walder sent? Or just dumped it. I think at least the face has to be transported to the faceroom for it to be placed there. Then I think you can just use any face there available. Just take it down and use it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650

It hasn't bothered me the mechanics behind how she does this, I've just gone with the flow. Similar to how I view the dragons, the white walkers, the wolves, Bran's eyes...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    ...the children of the forest & their balls of fire, giants, Melisandre's real age, Jon's return to life, greyscales, wild fire...... ;)

12. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    Okay, thanks. Next time i get there, i'll try that out. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650
    Yes!!

I'm going to treat myself to a full re-watch when it's finished

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650
    Most times it's obvious who the actor is playing when you see them on talk shows, but I gotta say, catching a glimpse of Gemma Whelan (Yara) totally threw me.

[​IMG]

She looks so tender and sweet

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    Yes, true, she's a sweetheart!

Iwan Rheon (Ramsey) is quite sweet as well, although it might be hard to believe. :D
    This guy can also sing:

And Grey Worm sings too:

I love this video. One has to pay really close attention to see what's actually happening. But there's also some help in the comments section. ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650
    That's really good
    And this is really impressive.

Yes and that just made the song feel even more powerful.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,650
    Absolutely loved Daenerys unleashing hell over Lannister's army. It was so exciting I nearly fell off the sofa. I've always liked Bronn, but hated it when he slayed the dragon. I hope that both he and Jamie are now dead and the silent credits were not a piece of trickery used by the producers.

There was a part of me that was wishing it would be the White Walkers appearing over the hills, but seeing Daenerys fly in with her dragon turned out to be much better.

It was also really rewarding to see Arya finally meet up with Sansa

• Like Like x 2
  18. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,967
    I agree. Seeing Daenerys/Drogon laying waste to the Lannister army was impressive. As much as I like Bronn, I would have liked to see him incinerated for shooting Drogon. I'm feeling sorry for Tyrion with seeing his family's soldiers being killed and his recent plans with Daenerys not working out so well.

Indeed. I'm curious if Littlefinger uses this event to his advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    No way that Jaime is dead. He has a bigger part to play on the show. Still waiting for him to turn against Cercei. Maybe meeting the enemy will be a wake-up call?
    If Jaime was really dead, we'd get to see him die. He would have been fried to death. A lake that we never saw before being conveniently placed exactly there is a sure bet that he survives.

I do hope that Bronn survives as well. I love him too!!! Was that him lounging at Jaime at the end? Hero of the day.

I am really glad to know that the dragons are not invincible! That makes things all the more interesting. All sides will have leathal weapons, but no one is invincible. Not even the dead!

Loved to see Tyrion still loving his brother. It was Jaime, afterall, who saved Tyrion from a certain death - and Cercei.

Another thing I am loving this seasons is reunions & first meetings!!!! The Stark children have reunited. Jon & Theon had a cold reunion. Daenerys has now met Jon, Davos & Jaime. Just a matter of time before she meets Sansa, Arya & Bran. And Cercei...

Arya & Sansa meeting again was strong. But I think it is mainly because Maisie Williams & Sophie Turner are such good friends with great chemistry. I didn't feel as much when they were reunited with Bran.

Speaking of Bran.... what a prick!! At least pretend to care! Even if he "died" in the cave and became the 3-eyed raven without emotion, he can still pretend to care & be thankful. Poor Meera.

While I like both Arya & Brienne, I don't want to see them practice sword fighting anymore. That was the most boring scene of the episode.

So... when are the dead coming? I want to see where they are! Others are moving around really fast, but the dead has still to reach the wall. They are slow.

And when will Jon find out that he's a Targaryen? How will Daenerys react when she finds out that Jon has the bigger claim to the throne than she does? :lol: Jon is Rhaegar's son afterall. He who would have been king if he hadn't died. Will Daenerys bend her knee to Jon? Will she fight him? Will he resign his claim because he doesn't want the Iron Throne? Will they rule together? Or will the throne even be theirs for the taking?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    Anyone caught Davos correcting Jon's grammar? He was taught by Stannis, the grammar nazi.

• Like Like x 1