1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season 9 - Goodbye, Farewell and Amen

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Grangehill1, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Just starting a thread following a previous discussion.

This episode - particularly the final few scenes have such a Christmassy/Thanksgiving vibe to them. Including the score.

The episode was originally transmitted 13th December 1985 (with another episode the following week). Maybe the episode after was unintentionally brought forward.

But this was the closest we got to a Ewing Christmas wasn’t it?

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,946
    I've noticed with Knots Landing that most of their seasonal episodes also aired the week before the Christmas week. Maybe the assumption is that Americans don't watch TV as much on or around Christmas Day, whereas in the UK, watching TV at Christmas is all we do.

I always thought of the Barbecue and/or Oil Baron's Ball episodes as being Dallas's equivalent of Christmas. I'm pretty sure 'Barbecue Two' originally aired over here on Christmas Day, while the second Oil Baron's Ball was shown a couple of years later on Boxing Day.

Actually, thinking about it, you might be right. If this was an intentional "Dallas does Christmas/Thanksgiving" episode, then I'm kind of glad they didn't do it as a regular thing. I didn't really like everyone being so openly nice to each other; it felt kind of icky and not very Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,222
    Yes, the American TV networks routinely ran reruns or preempted their primetime series during Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks because viewership is down because people are traveling, etc., during the holidays -- but they do air a lot of football.

DALLAS avoiding the holidays mostly seemed like the right choice for it, for some reason, just as pop culture references didn't tend to work (and they seemed to know this and rarely made them). But somehow, in the later seasons when the show's identity began to falter, I wouldn't have minded turkey-and-cranberry sauce fight across the Southfork dining table occasionally.

And I certainly want to see Clayton and Ellie dress up as Santa & Mrs Claus at least once.

• Funny Funny x 1