1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season 9 location filming

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Grangehill1, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Rewatching season 9 on CBS drama, surprised at the huge amount of location filming. More than any other season?

Is this why the episode count was cut? Shooting on location costs more and takes
    More time.

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,382
    I think the episode number was shortened because the Dynasty budget had been slowly shrinking for a few years. I think I read that Paulsen said he wanted to open the show up. To do location filming to make it feel more real, or words to that effect. And he was able to afford this location filming by having Linda Evans and Joan Collins in diminished roles. He saved money that way and was able to employ cheaper unknown actors to be supporting cast. Some better than others. Of course Stephanie Beacham was brought in but she was paid a whole lot less than Joan and Linda ever were and she had to do the show as she still had a year or so left on her original Spelling contract from her days on The Colbys.

• Like Like x 4
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,616
    The episode order matched the 22 episode order of season 8 and season 2; it's pretty much considered a standard one. ABC did originally only order 13, hence why Joan Collins ended up appearing in so many episodes. With that said - opening up outdoor scenes really helped the show breathe - if there ever was a problem with Aaron Spelling shows in their later seasons (Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place suffered from this) was that they would become almost exclusively set-based. I'm happy Paulsen at least recognized this problem, even if it's laughable that this was supposed to be in Denver...

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,062
    Denver itself is not a very distinctive city other than the surrounding mountain scenery, so I would have been happy if they were filming in Northern California where there are mountains. My biggest complaint is that Dynasty, even at the top of its popularity, ratings, and ad revenue heights never bothered to do some shootings in glamorous places appropriate to their supposed style: London, or Aspen, or Acapulco. But Spelling's purse was always unjustifiably tight with Dynasty, whereas at least The Love Boat had actually done some faraway locales.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +484
    - I read she still had another year on her contract after S9 - so it wasn´t sure if she can star in the comedian she did after all ---

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,382
    She probably did. Spelling likely released her to do other things after Dynasty was cancelled.

7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,555
    I found her character on "Sister Kate" a complete borefest compared to the great Sable Colby. It was like Joan Collins playing a dumb mermaid after Dynasty. :re:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,212
    Beacham had a five year contract with Spelling from 1985 thru 1990, so she would have been required to have done a Season 10. Joan's, John's and Linda's contracts were all up in the fall of 1988, and Forsythe and Collins had to sign extensions to finish out Season 9.
    SISTER KATE was much, much too stiff and controlled to work -- kind of deadish.

I saw very little of SEAQUEST DSV, which Stephanie left after a season or so.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,555
    I love SeaQuest DSV, but only the first season.
    Many changes for the worse were made for S2 (and it even got worse in s3, after which it was cancelled - rightfully so).
    They wanted to make the cast younger and replace several characters with younger ones and the stories more action oriented.
    So i'm kind of glad that SB left after S1, like that i only had to buy the S1 bluray set. :D

Some more infos here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaQuest_DSV

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,616
    I doubt he formally released her to be honest - she was always free to look for other work during her five year contract with Spelling, just that whatever he required her for would take priority. It wasn't as if she was only allowed to work in Spelling productions during that five year period.

IIRC, Spelling actually had no television projects during the 1989-90 season so there wasn't really a risk of him trying to enforce any contract (which I highly doubt he would either way).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +394
    With the location filming in Season 9 it mystifies me that Paulsen didn’t use the Pasadena mansion with the lily pond or the garages from a season 2 instead of that horrible fake side entrance (which has caused a lot of derision in the recent showing on cbs drama).

While the lake and Delta Rho locations were welcome, the grimy streets were incongruous.

I liked the scene where Fallon on horseback races Zorelli in his car, which was very PSM season 1.

Also since the Carlton features so extensively, it could have benefited from some exterior filming. I never did like the obvious studio terrace set.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,212
    I guess the tacky side entrance can be driven away from and the Pasadena house couldn't. But, yeah, the tacky side entrance was indeed horrible -- oddly enough, that could have been easily fixed: replace the wooden floor of the terrace with a concrete insert, and then light the set differently, and then put in a loud exterior whoosh to the sound track (but that would've worked for fake Southfork, too, and they never bothered either).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,247
    I'm reminded of her playing Mrs. Peacock in the Clue game show. Of the six actresses who played Mrs. Peacock, Stephanie was my favorite. :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luke Fuller

Luke Fuller Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +87
    What about a lake with a body of Roger Grimes, this location was used in the show many times before season 9. Sometimes it was presented as part of Delta Rho ranch (for example in season 7). I tried to find the first episode with this lake and a bridge. We could see it in The Gun episode in season 2. And yes, I agree that season 9 can offer a lot of outdoor scenes if we compare to previous seasons except season 1.

15. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,212
    Is that the Hidden Valley Ranch? I'm not sure. But it's still used a lot for TV commercials and such.

Then, later in Season 9, they used that lake once seen in shows like ANDY GRIFFITH, a lake more rural and less manicured.

It always bothered me that DYNASTY made so little effort to evoke Colorado. I still see old shows -- like, I was watching Fess Parker's DANIEL BOONE the other day, admiring all the fir tree lined ridges in Southern California they used to double as Kentucky -- and would have done nicely as Colorado, but DYNASTY never really used.

16. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    During season one and two there was a very good terrace set which was used several times, I imagine it was eliminated when they revamped the sets at the start of season three. During season two they used a Beverly Hills estate for the swimming pool and garage; I also believe the facade for Alexis' studio was erected there. I don't remember the name of the Beverly Hills estate but I do remember reading that the estate had been extensively renovated; more recently a billionaire acquired the estate and alienated his neighbors by denying them access to a road which had been available to them for decades.

The mansion set was revamped for season three which is when Arden Villa in Pasadena was used instead of the Beverly Hills location. The driveway at Arden Villa runs parallel to the lily pond so it could have been used for some scenes of cars arriving or leaving the estate. Neither the set or facade for the studio was seen after season two.

They did a lousy job on the mansion facade used in later seasons, it doesn't appear to be the same scale as the sets, the french doors lack arched fanlights and the woodwork is painted white instead of ivory and soft green (as it is at Filoli). Some faux painting to imitate stone also would have helped.

gettyimages-105919000-612x612.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,247
    If that's true, that it was a matter of being disallowed from using the Beverly Hills mansion, then they should have simply stuck with Arden Villa. Why'd they stop filming there? It was a gorgeous location, it had a perfect setting for outdoor scenes. Imagine it being around for Seasons 5-9.