1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Sense8: One Last Mission

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Ome, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    Episode 8 was filled with spectacle, difficult choices and - OMG - I think they actually filmed in Iceland.
    Hernando breaks up with Lito, Capheus finds himself in an impossible situation and Rajan's father is attacked by men who think that capitalists are a threat to their culture and religion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    Episode 9 was an out-and-out tearjerker, and at some point it almost felt as if they were trying to upstage eachother with sad stories.
    I prefer the stories that happen on-screen rather than a sad story being told by a character. The backlash of Lito's life as a closeted sex symbol played out very well, but Riley and her background story starts to drag, I find her so depressing and demotivating.

Some additional info regarding the sense8 mystery is given by a new character who appears in Iceland, only to be complicated by some additional info about Riley and her mother and also the idea that Jonas might be a Judas who works for Whispers.
    So now the mystery has become three mysteries. Great.
    But I think it has something to do with a biological research project that was started to track down sense8ers.
    Why sense8ers have to be tracked down in the first place is still unknown.

I really, really hope the writers don't get tangled up in their own web of twists and overplotting like what happened on LOST.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    Oh never mind, it's all explained in episode 10.
    This episode's sense8 duo is Lito & Wolfgang and there's plenty of drama and action. Favourite scene: the killing of Wolfgang's evil nephew. Ha ha!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    Just finished season 1 and I feel exhausted, physically and emotionally. So tragic, so wicked, so violent.
    I still have to figure out how Whispers fits into all this, he's also a sensible so...why? What does he want?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    Yeah, that was very resourceful:lol:
    The beauty of it was that it was actually the only way to save Riley. She needed to feel that responsibility again, the instinct to protect the people she loves - otherwise she would have been lost forever.
    Be careful what you wish for is what I always say:cool1
    Haaaaated that movie, thank God I didn't know:D
    Isn't that a little devious?:gotcha: Btw, did it work?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    I've watched the first part of the Happy Birthday episode.
    Hm. It looked like a United Colours Of Benetton montage. The characters are already so likeable and flawless, I thought this was a bit too much.
    I don't mind art or pop culture (music or movies) being used as a platform for positive messages, as long as it's not too soapbox-y because that takes me out of the moment.
    Besides, considering the strong LGBT content of this show I can't escape the feeling that they're preaching to the choir.

Then it's about sex and how it should be honoured and enjoyed.
    But the sex/orgy scenes looked surprisingly tasteful - or maybe it was the nudity that balanced out the sentiment.

Whispers has a daughter, at first I thought she was the missing girl from Will's past.
    Capheus is played by another actor, he's almost twice as tall as the first one.
    I think it's time for some action. The Van Damme always comes back!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192
    Nooo, don't say that. Lost was just perfect and worked really well with all its twists and turns.

It's okay, I forgive you, it was the heat of the moment.

If we have to have a weak link in the sensates, I would quickly choose Riley. Plus, I got lost somewhere with her story.

I love how this show pulls on those emotional strings, you can find yourself feeling so much sadness and then finding so much joy and happiness, all in one episode.

I think I said something similar, just wait until you reach the end of season 2.

This really disappointed me because I loved the actor in season one, however it didn't take me as long as I thought it would for me to adjust to the new actor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    :D
    Well, unless you have a heart of stone it's almost impossible not to care for these very lovely and very suffering characters.
    But they're also purely defined by the story (past and present) so I wouldn't say these are the most multidimensional characters.

The show is no holds barred in many ways but, considering how expensive it must have been to produce Sense8, it's understandable that they were aiming for the Big Profit - and that's why I think that subtlety was not one of their priorities.
    And it doesn't have to be, Sense8 wants to entertain and I think they're doing a terrific job with it. All the action scenes (fightings, shootings, car chases) are very satisfying.

I think I could have done without the extended "montage" scenes, but that's the only negative thing I have to say about Sense8.
    I have no idea what's going to happen in season 2, but a few more close-ups of Lito's mesmerizing buns would be a good start:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192
    It truly is a beautiful scenic look at life's cultures. It's such a shame that so much expense was involved and they didn't get it back. I do think it will (if it isn't already) become a classic cult show like Twin Peaks.

I watch a lot of shows (like we all do here) and there are times when I simply turn away if a fight scene breaks out, usually when it's one that drags on and it doesn't help if you're a fan of superhero shows. Sense8 gives a whole new meaning to fight scenes, I just can't get enough of them. I also love how it's all choreographed to stay in sync.

Are you talking about the ones where they're accompanied by a song? If so I absolutely love them, they give me a new meaning to an already familiar song and then there's the discovery of a song that can have a lasting impact on my life when I think of Sense8

:giggle:

I gotta add, that there is something about Lito, I think it's his facial expression, that constantly makes me smile or laugh out loud.

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did, The biggest fans don't just like it, they adore it.
    Same here, I've never been a fan of cop shows (except Cagney & Lacey) but these are usually not very brutal. The action in Sense8 reminds me of shows like Dexter, or even James Bond.
    Definitely one of the show's strongest points.
    Yes, like the opening scene of season 2. I don't hate it, but I was waiting for the story to continue.
    Maybe it's because his roles in those, let's say, not very artistic movies seem to merge with his real life character. He can't help it, but sometimes it makes him come across as a caricature. When he tried to fight Joaquin, for example. He simply assumed that he was as tough as the hero from those cheesy spaghetti westerns:lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192
    How fantastic did you think this scene was?

I remember feeling the hairs on my neck stand up, while at the same time I was smiling because I had no idea what was really going on.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    I liked this better because it actually started in a scene (Wolfgang's karaoke). The intro sounded familiar so I wanted to know what it was before any of the characters started to sing the lyrics.
    But I was too late:(

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192

I thought it was a decent song back in the 90s, but the DJs around me thought it would be better to play it over and over, to a point where I never wanted to hear it again. Then one day I was watching this strange show and suddenly, the song became so much more than I ever imagined. I now understand why the DJs loved it so much. Then they remixed it for the show and made it even better.

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    It is a good song, and very very 90s.

I just noticed a mistake: Riley is speaking Dutch to some woman I haven't seen before, so I assume the Icelandic language was too difficult for these actors.
    What were they thinking "let's just use another funny European language?"

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    Will and Riley are in Amsterdam! The Dutch dialogue was a clue, not a mistake. Mister-know-it-all!:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192
    Haha!

Me being totally thick with languages has to rely on sights, building and landmarks and that's not always easy.

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    The last episode! But I'll save it for tomorrow because I don't want to watch it before I go to bed. I'd be tossing and turning all night long!
    But maybe the rebel in me doesn't care![​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    Is this the end of my Sc-Fi soap? It's not fair I want more!!:15:
    And I still don't know the whole history of Angelica and Whispers. She keeps saying "I'm sorry" but she's never far away from trouble.
    I want that Lila bitch to suffer and I had hoped for a catfight between her and Kala.
    Loved that scene when Lito was being stripped down to his underwear, very erotic.
    In one of the last scenes, Whispers was surprised to find out that Will really was in that room with him, and I thought it was both brilliant and laughing-out-loud stupid.

Sun and the police officer were my favourite romantic couple, and the car chase was so exciting. Is Silas going to marry Capheus' mother, and can we trust him?
    Is Kala going to leave her husband, and was he telling the truth? There's still the issue of the old medication shipped to Third World countries. I also wanted to know more about that, and Rajan's father, he's a real scoundrel.

I don't want one more episode I want a third season! This is not fair!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192
    Has anyone watched the finale yet?

We're doing it tonight. I'm super excited, but at the same time, I don't want the dream to end.

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,457
    No, because the episode was added when I was watching Doctor Foster (will finish that today, o man what a nail-biting drama! - found it thanks to James from London).
    And I've got some other stuff to do so I don't know if there's enough time to watch the whole final Sense8 episode (150 minutes).