September 11th 2001 - 9/11 - 18 years on...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbara Fan, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:15 PM.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,385
    Medals:
    Hard to believe it was 18 years ago - that fateful day

In loving memory of those who lost their lives on that fateful day, when islamic terrorists crashed into the Twin towers in New York. And also the Pentagon and a field near Shanksville

It was a day when the world changed forever and was never the same again, and perhaps if G Bush and T Blair took a different path / actions the world will be a far less dangerous place today.

To the armed services, Police, Fire, Medical etc who helped and some who sadly lost their lives too, it is a day that is etched in my mind forever and will never be forgotten and cant be forgotten.

I was due to go to NY city for the first time 4 days later, I never got there, but was determined to visit the following year and have been back many times since. NYC rocks

[​IMG]

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,299
    Medals:
    Excellent sentiments.

Swami

• Like Like x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,482
    Medals:
    I will always remember it. I was in Dublin and everything sort of froze, every shop, bar, hotel just sat motionless, people staring at the tv screens in shock.

• Like Like x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    Where has 18 years gone? I recall trying to stay awake to watch an episode of The West Wing but was struggling so recorded it on the old VHS. Fascinating how technology has evolved in 18 years as well. Anyway I drifted off to sleep and awoke the next morning only to be confronted by a ticket banner on the bottom of the television screen. I was transfixed for a few days and felt rather numb about it. It was a similar experience to when Princess Diana died.

Has the world learnt anything from this? No...it's getting a little madder. Thoughts are with all those who perished and families left behind...except of course to those responsible. I believe there is a special place for them.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,961
    Medals:
    I finally made it to NYC earlier this year. The hardest day of the trip was when we visited the 9/11 memorial museum. I must admit standing there on the plaza between the memorial fountains that marked where the twin towers once stood I got chills running down my spine. It was a similar feeling to when I visited Auschwitz, but also different since I remembered 9/11. It wasn't just something that happened long before I was born and was a part of history but a day that I could remember from my life. I remember exactly where I was when I found out and how shocked and numb I felt. It felt unreal. :(

Standing there on that plaza all the emotions washed over me and I found myself crying silently. My sister brought a flower for a friend she had lost. I was grateful for the friend who had survived who I got to know later on and actually got to meet.

9/11 is a dark day in history and weirdly it is history now. Visiting the 9/11 memorial museum what hit me was how the technology had changed. 18 years ago we still had pay phones. People still used cameras with actual film. The stuff in the museum looked oddly dated and it made me realize that life has gone on.

Today I want to take a moment to remember everyone who lost their lives, but also their loved ones who are still living with this loss every day, the rescue workers who made the ultimate sacrifice and everyone who survived. God Bless them all.

New York City & Washington DC 072.JPG
    New York City & Washington DC 094.JPG

New York City & Washington DC 089.JPG
    New York City & Washington DC 060.JPG

New York City & Washington DC 106.JPG

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:09 AM
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,692
    Medals:
    Had anybody been in the twin towers (before they fell, obviously)? I recall going up to the observation deck (can't remember now which one had it) and recalling my father once commenting "one of these days, one of those things is going to fall" (he was referring to skyscrapers in general, not the WTC). But I remember thinking about his remark while I was way up there looking down.

How odd that a few years later, that's was exactly what happened to that very building.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,385
    Medals:
    Someone sent me the link for this, its so heart warming and so similar to the spirit of Dunkirk during WW2