1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Sharp Objects: new mini-series

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Emelee, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    On July 8th, a new HBO mini-series based on a novel premiaires. Sharp Objects starring Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson is based on the novel with same title by author Gillian Flynn, who is most known for her novel Gone Girl (that was adapted to a movie starring Ben Affleck & Rosamund Pike). Sharp Objects is a thriller/drama in 8 parts.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    Sharp Objects Review:
    Amy Adams Walks the Razor's Edge in a Town Full of Fault Lines

HBO’s latest limited series, Sharp Objects, is, quite simply, the programming event of the summer.

Amy Adams stars as St. Louis newspaper reporter Camille Preaker, who is dispatched downstate to cover the murder of a preteen girl in Wind Gap, Mo., the small, less-than-idyllic town where she was born — and where, we realize quickly in this grippingly atmospheric series, she suffered a trauma that has left her a barely functioning alcoholic with dissociative issues (and worse). Every fresh detail triggers a jarring flashback linking her terrible past to Wind Gap’s foul underbelly.

Sharp Objects is adapted from the 2006 novel by Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn and directed by Jean-Marc Vallée, the man responsible for Big Little Lies, and once again he creates a sense of tantalizingly ambiguous indirection, as well as repressed psychological forces that seep and spread like a stain across a plaster ceiling.

[​IMG]
    Anne Marie Fox/HBO
    [​IMG]
    Anne Marie Fox/HBO

Adams emphasizes Camille’s piercing, roving curiosity — she’s a mess, but a focused one — while Patricia Clarkson has a wilting grandeur as her condescending, endlessly hostile mother: She’s like a flower arrangement that could benefit from a change of water.

Also, be sure to keep an eye out for the show’s most mysterious character, Camille’s odd half-sister Amma, played by Australian actress Eliza Scanlen. At home, Amma feigns an innocence that’s close to precious, as if she’d spent too much time at the American Girl outlet. Back in town, she’s rebelliously carnal. Scanlen, a 19-year-old Perth native known in Australia for the soap opera Home and Away, sews these halves together with perhaps a stitch from Twin Peaks.

Sharp Objects premieres Sunday, July 8, at 9 p.m. on HBO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,473
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I hope not, but only for this synopsis, I foresee a suit from the people who created "Top of the Lake"...or is it the unavoidable trend of every "limited" series nowadays...?

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,425
    I've never seen Top Of The Lake, but the description of Sharp Objects doesn't look like a very unique story (same goes for the cold, hostile "mother" character, it's been done so many times already).
    Of course that doesn't mean it can't be good. I'd rather watch a good copycat than a bad original.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    I liked the first episode. Amy Adams is great as Camille, the alcoholic journalist with a very sad past. Her half-sister Amma is an interesting character. And we found out there was a 3rd sister.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Banana Hammock

Banana Hammock Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I think that Amy Adam's mother is the best one in it. I hope someone gives her a good hard slap before the series ends.

7. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I've been watching this show regularly and my only complaint is the lack of screentime for Elizabeth Perkins' character.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    Other than that the series moves a bit slow and that we get a ton of scenes featuring Amy Adams' character drinking vodka from a water bottle, the series is quite good. I would have also wanted to see more of Henry Czerny's character Alan Crellin.

Seems to me that all characters are miserable, in one way or another. Some of them self-medicate, some just hide it well, some cut themselves, some break rules, some put on music to escape reality, some bullies and some just don't know how miserable they really are. I've yet to see one happy character in that little town that is next to dead.

9. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    Adora is just creepy! Münchhausen her daughter to death for attention.
    But what about the 2 girls that recently were killed?

Amy Adams really got into her role, she always look hung-over and slighly puffy. Good make-up artists!

10. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,336
    I like the series except for the drinking, and driving scenes. The cast is great, so many messed up characters.

11. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    Lots of that going on! And no one in the town seem to care, probably because they're all boozing and driving home from the pub.