1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Should Ashley And Frankie Have Been One Person?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Grant Jennings, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    In hindsight, I think it would have made more sense if instead of Ashley, Frankie had been introduced during season five. Blake was looking for help with oil leases, as the widow of a diplomat Frankie could have been a lot of help with this. As Jeff's mother, Blake and Ashley would have some history so it would make sense for him to reach out to her. This also would have helped with establishing characters from "The Colbys" on the parent show so viewers would hopefully develop a connection and want to follow them onto the spin-off.

I imagine Blake flying to England to meet with Frankie, the two mention they haven't seen each other "in years". Blake makes pleasant small-talk while it is clear that Frankie is flirting. As he leaves Blake says "it was great to see you again. I know someone else who'd love to hear from you - your son, Jeff." We wouldn't know Frankie is Jeff's mother prior to this reveal.

Alexis, of course, would be livid that Frankie would favor Blake over her. Krystle would resent Frankie's obvious attraction to Blake (to which Blake is oblivious - "she's a very dear friend, nothing more"). Jeff's treatment of Frankie would be civil but very chilly. As Blake and Krystle's marriage further deteriorates and Blake and Frankie spend more time together, an angry Krystle would comment on Frankie's neglect of Jeff - which would receive an angry rebuke from Blake.

Frankie would attend Amanda and Michael's wedding (so would Jason, Sable and Zack). When the soldiers begin firing at the wedding party Jeff would rush to shield his mother from the gunfire, taking a (non-fatal) bullet in the process.

I wouldn't have had Frankie and Sable be Alexis' cousins (which results in Fallon's two husbands being her cousins). I would have had Alexis and Sable be classmates in art-school who eventually become friends before something happens that causes a major rift between them. Alexis, Cassie, Sable and Frankie would all be friends and the Morell sisters would travel to Los Angeles to attend Frankie's marriage to Philip. It would be at this wedding that Alexis would meet Cecil.

Lastly, Frankie would be played by Jacqueline Bisset.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    Well, I've often wanted the two characters cast with the same actress: Miss Bisset.

But I also want Brady Lloyd and Daniel Reece combined -- in the form of Billy Dee Williams,

3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    This would also help establish Frankie as a husband-stealing hussy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    Well, here at the forum we are notorious for refusing to accept that DYNASTY execs never gave planning the show as much thought as we do. :D
    It's funny that they had considered shipping Ashley over to THE COLBYS but she was so unpopular they killed her instead.
    Given Fallon's "death," Frankie coming back would have made complete sense.

Or they could have been at the same boarding school. I also did not like the cousins idea (and neither did Collins, because she hated anything about the clone and she thought it was a cheap way of connecting Alexis to the new show, and at that time she saw the character as her property). Additionally, by the time Paulsen was done with the Sable family tree Jason had slept with all three cousins, which was moronic. I think more could have been done to add to the mystery/hostility between Alexis and Sable and the alienation between them, maybe also related to Caress. Frankie could actually have been someone who got along with Alexis and that would have added to Krystle distrusting her.

At the same time, I have to admit McGraw was able to pull the occasional mischievous look, whereas Ross always looked clueless. A different actress for Frankie would have helped immensely if she were to be the wife of a diplomat with ties herself.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    And also that fateful night on that luxurious ship, when Zach Powers' wife drowned. Such a tragedy, as it was supposed to be THE event of the century.
    I like to think that they are all responsible, one way or another.
    But why? What happened, who was she, and why was she hated so much?

And did she really die?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Grant Jennings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I never believed that Jason slept with Alexis; I think it was just another of Alexis' lies - clearly intended to hit Sable where it would hurt the most.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Hmm. I got the impression that SableSybil knew when it happened even though S9Alexis never mentioned when – based on the conversation between S9Dex and SableSybil, when Dex alluded to it having happened 10 years ago (IIRC) and SableSybil didn’t contradict/disagree with him. I presume viewers were meant to assume that SableSybil had already told Dex about it off-screen; because now we see Dex bringing it up again to fish if that was the only reason SableSybil had this vendetta against Alexis IIRC.

Edited to add: I think SableSybil muttered something like "she knows why". Perhaps, foreshadowing the reveal about the twins' biological father.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    If it was a lie then it would have been written as a lie. There's always someone who knows the truth: the viewer or (one of the) character(s).
    Not that I appreciate how The Colbys history was being tarnished but sometimes a soap re-imagines itself to keep it interesting, and it doesn't retroactively change THE COLBYS because it never happened on that show.
    I guess this is a rare case of "have your cake and eat it" (although SoapLand had quite a few of these).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    Sable believed it and she said that the night meant nothing to Alexis but it "practically ended" her marriage (hello? What about Jason sleeping with your sister and having Jeff?). Paulsen should have tried harder at creating animosity between Alexis and Sable then the one night-stand and Alexis telling Jason that the twins weren't his. If THE COLBYS did not exist out there for someone to watch these episodes, these twists would be acceptable. But Alexis AFTER Frankie AND Sable was laughable. Didn't he know any other women?

10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    I can see how Alexis' telling Jason of Miles' and Monica's parentage could be the logical coup de grâce in Sable's marriage to Jason. But it is true that Paulsen sometimes needed to emphasize certain points when he didn't.

Explaining that Krystle's neuropsych condition was exacerbated by the limo crash (which he never refers to) even if it was started by the fall from Champ might have been nice. And explaining that the D.A. in Blake's murder trial lied to Alexis about Roger dying in prison two months before, since Roger had actually disappeared in ~1964, would have been useful.

Not obligatory, perhaps, but I wanted those little details ironed out.

11. Grant Jennings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I always thought Krystle's injury was sustained when she was thrown by Champ but it wasn't diagnosed at the time because doctor's focused all their attention on the miscarriage; it was after the limo crash when they performed test to see if she suffered head trauma that they discovered the AVM.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    That's one of those negotiable things. Krystle started experiencing headaches after she fell from Champ --- when Blake reveals his lack of blindness after Sammy Jo's coming out party, Krystle talks about her headaches, and that's about all we hear about it. But it lays groundwork for the later problems she had following the limo crash.

But Paulsen should have at least fleetingly referred to it.

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    The talk about Ashley and Frankie being combined into one character reminds me of an old idea I had: remember how Alexis gave Amanda to one of her other cousins, Rosalind, to raise? What we added Rosalind to the combo, so that Frankie/Ashley was the one who raised Amanda?

I mean, if she's going to make an appearance in Season 5 in order to be there for her son over his wife's "death", why not have her also be the reason for why Amanda shows up?

Course that doesn't mean Ashley/Frankie has to be turned back into Alexis' cousin. I can get on board with her and Sable not being Alexis' cousin anymore (I'd change their Season 6 conversation to, "After all, our mummies were like sisters!" "Well they weren't, and we aren't kissing cousins.").

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    How could the Morells and Scotts NOT be family?
    Stop fighting nature!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    Bette Davis is Sable's and Frankie's mother, Agatha.

Gloria Swanson is Alexis' and Caress' mother, Minx.

I mean -- what's not to love??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Although I could imagine Lady Ashley as Alexis' former schoolmate.
    "Ashley, darling, where have you been all these years?"
    "Everywhere but Acapulco, I suppose!"
    (polite laughter)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Oh wait, I think they actually did that?:lol:

18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    I would have liked these too, for the season to distance itself from the DYNASTY tradition of "who remembers yesterday," a question Blake asked Fallon which encapsulated the show's attitude toward its history.

Of course to go back to the beginning of the thread, I don't believe the network and Spelling were planning the following season to be when THE COLBYS would air until 1985, with the bible and episodes well underway.