Should I Watch More

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by stevew, Jul 23, 2018.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Watched the first episode. I should say in the day I never really watched Dynasty. A bit here and there. I did like it. And later I watched all of season 1 and 2. Was pretty good. But this new version seemed tacky to me. I’m not trying to insult anyone who likes it and maybe it gets better but I can’t see me continuing. I liked the actors well enough in their parts but wow, such a cheesy way they carried off the story. I was also unhappy to see Jeff Colby a scholarship kid, tonstrrotyoed. I would have written the Colby’s as 1/2 British, 1/2 Nigerian and far wealthier than the Carringtons, more in line with the original. I did like Falon being more in line with the business than before and thought Crystal as COO would be interesting. I also liked Sam and Steven being more confidently gay. Nice mentioning Alexis. They should have mentioned Adam. I just didn’t like the overall feel. Way too new money feel for people talking like they’re old money. And the music - come on, no theme song to set the mood. I don’t know if I should continue to watch.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Continue watching. The last few episodes are worth it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +397
    There is a mini theme song, which apparently wasn't ready in time for the 1st episode. And since then, they don't always use it -- apparently only when they have the time. Though why it's such a stretch to incorporate 17secs into an episode, I don't know.

The theme:

Extended version:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +448
    I'd say keep watching as it gets better, but don't be expecting too much. They do an interesting thing where they sneak in bits of original storylines or dialogue and make it different which is fun, but overall the feel is completely different to the original show and if you're expecting to find that then it never really arrives imo. I watched the entire season and will watch next season though, it's really not terrible.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    A tough call. I struggled with the series as well but thought I'd continue until the end so I felt part of the "in" crowd here on Soapchat. I do however get your point. This reincarnation is nothing like the original, it doesn't come close. As silly as original Dynasty became the actors played it straight. Adult actors playing adult roles. I wouldn't even call this guilty viewing. Something the original series had. I also missed the classic opening credits and soundtrack music.

On a side note. As rich as the Carrington family are supposed to be no way would I allow a daughter (Fallon) of mine speak to others the way she does. The constant witty/put down lines becomes draining.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I like this version! I hope they're able to find an event where they can put it in an episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,328
    Well, it's never gonna be un-tacky.

I don't think you shouldn't feel obligated if you're not enjoying it. There's plenty of other shows out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Unfortunately, I doubt it as it’s almost twice as long as the regularly used one, and they’ve not managed to use the latter every time. Perhaps, only if they expand the opening credits to include more cast. For which the chances are slim if they keep pulling characters out of rotation.

I love the opening solo of the main theme, especially in the extended version where we hear the whole theme on its own. But when the theme is spliced into an episode, the bridging music, however brief, murders the opening notes of the solo. Hate that!
    It jarred the first couple of times I heard the new opening theme track. All so flashy. Unlikeable, warring with the old classical tune I’d carried in my head for years & with my personal taste in music.

I repeatedly listened to the extended version of the new theme until it'd all ‘soaked’ in. Then returned to Netflix to continue on with the episodes. Found the flashy music (intro & bridging) was somehow better integrated with the episodes. No jolt to the system. And now, it's harder for me to recall the Bill Conti score. That arrangement is too out-of-place for this modern re-make of the show, anyway.

9. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Jeff being a scholarship kid is not a gratuitous thing on the show. It has a place in his story arc.

Er, is “tonstrrotyoed” a typo? Or, slang?

10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Don't do it, run for the hills!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Eh?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,328
    Oh yes, I see what you mean. I meant should not shouldn't.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Yeah, was just about to point that out.

14. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think not having watched the original show put me at an advantage. I was a HUGE fan of the original Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose place, but I didn't care for the CW reboots. So had I watched the original Dynasty, I probably wouldn't have even given this show a chance.

15. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Thank you.

I guess I didn’t think terrible but it felt tacky. I didn’t watch the original much when it was on. Bits and pieces. But since have watch seasons 1-3. There was sort of an old money feel that seemed lacking here. Too much like it was trying to prive itself which for crystal sure. But Blake and Alexis and their children never needed to prove anything. I don’t know if I’m making sense but it felt off-road me.

16. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Thank you.

17. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I think more than that, Fallon wouldn’t do it. She’d say it under her breath, she’d say it to s confidant, she’d act on it. Like she handled those boys, gain info, use them and walk on. She’d have no need to be upset with anyone. She’d Fallon Carrington. You, me and the rest of the world are tools. Do you speak at all to s tool? So that kinda gets to my issue. Do you mention you’re a dynasty? Maybe to Steven who smiles and knows just what your saying without saying much.

18. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    It’s not so much obligated as it’s a feeling that it’s there but not there. Maybe I’m just too old to appreciate this way of doing a soap.

I guess it will remain tacky. While I thought the original was campy I never thought it was tacky.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Too stereotyped I meant. The black guy needing a scholarship. There are old money blacks in the United States that like Fallon didn’t have to work for it. Doing something like the Colby’s richer than the Carringtons still, even while being black, maybe even with a British accent, would have been more fun to me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    That’s kinda where I’m at. Blake isn’t half the MAN he was. Fallon is trying to hard. Steven isn’t as sweet and lovable. They’re there just not there. Couldn’t they have at least found an old southern mansion as opposed to the new one with no age, no soul?