Should Lucy have joined KNOTS?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,669
    I know Ted and Joan didn't like the idea, and Charlene wasn't a Midget Streep, but should Lucy have put in a few appearances in the closing seasons of KNOTS after she left DALLAS the second time?

"Gramma -- Valene doesn't even open up the door. She just yells thru the window and tells me to go away!"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,500
    If the budget had not been what it was, I think it would have been a nice juxtaposition to see Gary visiting with Lucy at the same time Karen was visiting with Diana (in season 14). They could have attempted to do one of those "quick-cut" scenes we saw a lot in the Latham/Lechowick years where two sets of characters discuss the same topic in different locales: Lucy might have counseled Gary to move on with his life since Val had "died", while Diana could be counseling Karen not to give up on Mack. Lonow's appearance was spaced out over two or three episodes; Tilton could have done a single episode or maybe two.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    I think she should have joined Knots INSTEAD of returning to Dallas.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Knots Blogger

Knots Blogger Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I agree with Seaviewer; having Lucy leave DALLAS in 1985 and join the cast of KNOTS would have been great timing cuz it would have been just as DALLAS was about to hit an iceberg and start sinking. A lot of people say Charlene is a bad actress and she's certainly not a great actress, but I think the inherent better-ness of KNOTS would have sunk into her and made her a better actress.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,648
    I agree that she and Mitch should have moved to Knots Landing instead of Atlanta after their remarriage. It would have been great to see Lucy interact with her parents and also step-siblings and Abby. I bet Abby and Lucy wouldn't have liked each other and could both have been a bit bitchy about it. So it would have been fun to watch. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +253
    No. She didn't fit as a regular, BUT in mini arcs and cameos, yep. RE: Mitch (on Dallas), I always thought that it should have been revealed that HE was Pam's burn doctor. A nod to continuity.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I think Lucy would have fitted well into Knots Landing by Seasons 12-14. Charlene Tilton wasn't on Dallas at that time (1990-1993). Lucy wasn't as suited to other eras of Knots Landing, particularly the first 3 seasons. The thing is, Knots Landing had stopped collaborating with Dallas in 1986 with storyline and character crossovers, after Dallas brought Bobby back from the dead. The Knots team clearly wanted no part of it anymore. From Season 8 onwards of Knots Landing, I think the only mention of Dallas stuff at all is of Lucy in Season 14 and how she is travelling in Europe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    I think the KNOTS writers may have handled Lucy better than DALLAS did in the long run.

However I'm not sure if Lucy would've been able to have fitted into the series, especially since we sort of had "Lucy" types on KL in the form of Diana, Olivia and later on; Paige
    All of whom, basically were given storylines Lucy should've been given on DALLAS.

I believe Lucy should've been given her own show but in an ensemble cast set in some Ivy League college and later a place of work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +418
    I remember I started a forum on the old site asking whether or not Lucy should have joined Knots. Back then, I was of the opinion that Lucy should have joined Knots, and indeed as a regular. However, I do believe my opinion has changed now. I don't know if Lucy could have "fitted in" on the cul-de-sac. As others said, having her there in the earlier seasons wouldn't have worked I don't think, but around Season 7 or so I think Lucy should have came in, had it been done right. I'm on the fence as to whether or not Mitch should have came with her, but assuming he did, what then? Had Lucy came to California without Mitch, of course there would have been the whole marriage falling apart again, and the possibility of Mitch being a two-timer. Good stuff, huh? Having not seen past mid-way Season 9 of Knots, I don't know if Lucy would fit into the later seasons or not. However, had Lucy been brought over as a regular, I do think she would have to been "mellowed" a little bit. California already had Abby, and by Season 8, there was Paige and Jill in the mix, too. Lucy could still have been a tad devious or troublesome, but overall, she could have matured living closer to her parents.

In saying all of this, though, Joan Van Ark and Ted Shackelford weren't about to let Charlene Tilton come in. Van Ark, especially, has been known for wanting to appear younger than she was (hence the birth of the twins). It's a shame I think, too. Had Van Ark and Shackelford pulled together in Tilton's defense, who knows what the Lucy/Gary/Valene storylines would have added and meant to Knots. But now we'll never know...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    As I've said before "not fitting in" could have been the basis for her storyline, at least initially. Subsequent events would have changed around her so it's no use trying to shoehorn her into the plots as we saw them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Abby didnt fit into the cul da sec...it was her main arc in season 2. Her all night dates, fling with Richard and hitting on Kenny/gary...while bothering laura/karen...provided great material.

Lucy's brief visit in season 1 highlighted how she d idnt fit in...wealthy girl in a middle class neighborhood...confused why Diana would be protesting oil fields and being pro environment. I could have seen that continue especially if she came during Carl's marriage to Ben..and Gary's marriage to Abby...plus seeing Val with the twins and feeling resentful/bitter at not having Val as her mom..etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chris Carr

Chris Carr Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1
    She could have come in during season 12, after having just left 'Dallas' the 2nd time.

One thought - on 'Dallas' Lucy had just gone to Rome to manage an art gallery for that Alex guy, meanwhile on 'Knots', Anne's bodyguard Nick shows up from Rome. I wonder if they could've somehow tied the two storylines together?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,785
    I think Knots should have joined Lucy if she had started another The Hot Biscuit in California. But since Californians don't eat, she would be mostly serving hot coffee, and sound advice to the clingy and the needy.

Any post-restaurant-season would be just fine.

14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,500
    Nope, we already had Karen for that!

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,785
    They'd ask Lucy for a second opinion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,500
    ....and better coffee. Lucy would proclaim that she could make the coffee just as good as Karen can, just to make her mama proud.

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,785
    And then good ol Peggy fears she's facing the sack.
    There's definitely potential for great drama.

18. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    I think it could have worked in the show's latter seasons, provided they wrote more smartly for Lucy and dropped the unlucky in love heroine that we were mostly saddled with. Lucy was at her best when she had spunk, opinions, and sarcasm.

But during seasons like 4 or 5? My God, she would have stood out so much in family scenes with her, Van Ark, Shackelford, and Harris... then again, those actors tended to elevate their partners.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I was not sure what they were going to do with Lucy. Either move her to Knots Landing or give Dallas another spinoff with Lucy.

20. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Lucy was in general a confused character - she was pretty much the substitute child for JR and Sue Ellen that could enable Sue Ellen to leave the show eventually as that was their original plan (hence Linda not being a part of the main cast in season one). Then they changed that plan and suddenly they were saddled with Lucy. Then, even worse, they decided to make Ray her uncle.

Lucy - at her best - was an evil gnome as one UK radio presenter called her. Sarcastic, dry and witty she-devil. Outside of that she didn't work.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1