Should Lucy have joined KNOTS?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Knots Blogger

Knots Blogger Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Lucy is totally schizo on the original DALLAS. First five eps, she's totally wicked and a Lolita-type vixen who enjoys stirring up trouble. Pretty much right away in season two they morph her into the unlucky in the love super sweet girl who just wants to be happy, and they stick to this sweet angle for the rest of the series, giving her increasingly less and less to do, bottoming out in season eight in which she's barely part of the cast. Then they boot her off the show and rehire her three years later to hang around and do absolutely nothing from 1988 to 1990. Then they inauspiciously ship her away again.

Charlene is not a great actress but I think KNOTS would have brought out her talents. The better writing and acting around her would have also improved her own acting, in my opinion, and her and Mitch would have felt at home living on the cul-de-sac.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Oh, I meant Lucille Ball.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    I think the writing and acting on DALLAS was adequate, but maybe it was the setting that handicapped this character who was too young for this and too old for that.
    Even if she and Mitch had stayed on Southfork, they'd be the DALLAS equivalent of Kenny & Ginger Ward.

But think of it, Kenny & Ginger Ward did live in the cul-de-sac, and how did that work out?
    Personally I liked them, but they're not exactly the most popular Knots characters.
    I'm not sure if Lucy & Mitch could have bettered that position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. onthemarktexas

onthemarktexas Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I certainly don't think she would have fit in with the "middle class" sensibility of KL, however, having her appear on a couple of episodes each year and/or during major storylines would have been a nice touch ... a subtle nod to Gary's and Val's shared backstory prior to KL.

• Like Like x 1
  5. whitelighter

whitelighter Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    • I hope this post doesn't seem spammish, but I've begun writing a fanfic over in the Dallas Writers' Room which would've brought Lucy onto 'Knots': http://www.soapchat.net/threads/on-my-own-two-feet.3578/#post-87633 . Yes, I know the actor who portrayed one of the major characters in my story sadly passed away before this took place, but this is just fantasy anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,658
    Good point but I think Lucy and Mitch would have had more to do on Knots Landing simply by association to the main characters. A lot of Knots Landing were centered around Gary & Val/Abby or Karen & Sid/Mack or Laura & Richard/Sumner. So well by being step-sister to Olivia and Brian and step-daughter of Abby and also having her younger siblings (the twins), her other grandma and parents on the show Lucy would have fitted in better with the other characters on KL than Kenny and Ginger ever did. So it's definitely a missed opportunity not to have Lucy and Mitch move to Knots Landing after getting remarried in 1985.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +418
    In agreeing with your idea here, Lucy and Mitch would have moved to California some time prior the the "Bobby's Death" cliffhanger. As we all know, Knots Landing and Dallas drifted apart following Bobby's on-screen dream resurrection, and therefore Lucy and Mitch could not have been introduced thereafter. Had the writers gradually brought in Lucy and Mitch during Season 6 of Knots Landing, then it would have worked I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,658
    Well Lucy and Mitch got remarried and left Dallas in "Swan Song" which is the same episode that Bobby died in. So to bring them over to Knots for the season following that, 1985/1986 season would have made perfect sense! ;)

Oh and I think Lucy should have been at Bobby's funeral too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,510
    If Mitch had been working in the same hospital where Val gave birth, perhaps they could have inserted him into the action of digging up the truth about Dr. Ackerman and what really happened to the babies. Having an "insider" at the hospital (digging through files, questioning staffers) would have helped that plot along. Assuming of course they wanted to help it along rather than letting it build slowly like it did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,317
    I don't see why not. There wouldn't have had to be an onscreen conversation about it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +418
    An on-screen conversation about Bobby's "coming back alive"? Would that not break the so-called "reality" in which Knots liked to place itself?

12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,317
    That's my point. There would not be any need to mention Bobby at all.

13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,375
    The thing is with Lucy is that she may have been out of place on KNOTS but I think the writers on there could've resolved that somehow, but after season 4/5 on DALLAS Lucy seemed more out of place on that show.

It was fairly obvious that Lucy was more Southworth than she was an Ewing, she never showed an interest in Ewing Oil, and seemed to care more about Southfork, the writers, unintentionally, write this in themselves in season 7, when she's confronts Eddie, the fact that Lucy works to pay her own way rather than being a typical oil heiress shows to me that she wouldn't find it hard to fit into KNOTS and live a more middle class lifestyle.

Lucy never really cared about wealth, most of her love interests were either middle class or blue collar, yet Lucy was neglected in terms of characters development, she was after the oldest of the next generation of Ewings and Southforks, more should've been done with her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Well, not quite. There are backstory references in seasons 8, 9 and 13 as well.

15. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Lucy was a waste of a character on Dallas. They set her up to be the vixen of the family, but Charlene Tilton’s lack of range was painfully obvious in those episodes, so they turned her into a good girl. And then they couldn’t figure out to do with her - so she married a dull guy, then divorced him, then had an unlikely career as a model and won the title of Miss Short Dallas or something equally as ridiculous, and then worked as a waitress so she could get in touch with real people.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  16. CMQ

CMQ Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think she would have worked well. She should have made cameo's in season 5 and 6 when Gary and Abby married.
    Her and Abby would have clashed BIG TIME (I feel they would have had amazing onscreen chemistry for some reason) and there would have been an eventual rift between Lucy and Gary.
    Then maybe she could have come on as a regular from Season 12-14, rebuilding her relationship with her parents and somehow going to work at the Sumner Group where she would have clashed with Paige and Linda (although eventually becoming unlikely friends with Paige) and cast a wary eye over Anne.

• Like Like x 1