Should Steven also have changed his name?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Willie Oleson, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,039
    Like, STINGVEN, for example - to exploit the fact that he kinda looked like Sting?
    upload_2018-3-3_13-44-25.png upload_2018-3-3_13-45-39.png

And do you think Steven II/Stingven should have had really long hair, as a way of saying "I may be a recast, but I'm still very much my own character?" instead of pretending to be the same person while he clearly was not?
    After all, wasn't that an identity crisis on top of an identity crisis (and why does this sound more interesting than it really was?)
    upload_2018-3-3_13-47-49.png

Was it just a matter of approach?
    Was there any profit to be gained from Al Corley's departure? Anything at all?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    What if after having his surgery Stingven became addicted to plastic surgery? It could have been his series long arc instead of battling his sexuality, it could have been an addiction to surgery. And then they could have recast Steven every season. Finally culminating in the casting of Micheal Jackson in season 9 as the very last Steven until Al Corley returned for The Reunion. They could even have had multiple Steven's per season showing how he wasn't happy with the result and wanted more work done.

Removing the bandages to reveal Roddy McDowall then see him cry as the doctor holds a looking glass to his face.

"No, No! What have you done? What have you done to me? You said I would be beautiful! Even more beautiful than my mother! You said everyone would love me? What... have... you...... done?" Sobs achingly.

Then later in the season we see the bandages come off again and reveal the face of Morgan Fairchild in a Steven wig and lumberjack shirt.

"It's better, it certainly is better.. But Doctor, I know and you know that you can do better again! You must! You must give me perfection!"

And so on.

Just imagine the Stevens in season 5 and 6. Elizabeth Taylor, Marlon Brando, Tom Selleck, Sally Field, Lorenzo Lamas, Oprah Winfrey, Olivia Newton John, Dack Rambo, Patrick Duffy, Jackie Collins. Steven could be Dynasty's HOTEL.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,039
    See, that's exactly what I meant with "exploiting the situation". I think it's a very cool idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    My suggestion is actually a leaked memo from an actual Dynasty production meeting.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,039
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    Or like have Steven #2 be an imposter like @Snarky suggested. Only he too is gay and then both Steven's meet up at Steven #1's cabin and begin a fight to the death! Only the wrestling and firm grip has an altogether different effect on the blonde hunks and the lure of the log fire and bear skin rug becomes too much.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    Why doesn't nuSteven look like this? WHY? GOD DAMMIT!????

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    This probably deserves it's own thread but nuSteven is such an unbelievable let down. In 2018 I never thought Steven Carrington would be such a tame, tepid dull bore.
    It's diabolical. And he's not even a blonde Adonis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,039
    A character who falls in love with its impostor? Wow, has this ever been done? I want to see this!

10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    I'll run the show for free. I mean it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    Steven on Peach Dynasty is ugly. He would be ideal to be the Adam recast in the Reunion movie; someone at casting messed up the call sheets.
    But to be fair, they turned EVERY character into a tame, tepid dull bore. Only the recast Matthew was better than the original, but they quickly understood the error of their ways and blew him up. I think the exception is Sam--he is not the 24/7 explosion that Sammy Joe was, but he is fun.

But the two Stevens situation was so ridiculous--like the second one looked so much like an impostor, and his eyes had that glazing stare (which Coleman does NOT have in other roles, so how the hell did he achieve it there?), and if Al Corley's went back and forth between gay and bi Jack Coleman's went back and forth between preachy and hypocritical. I am ready to start a crowdfunding campaign for @Alexis ' plot idea. Especially if she casts Alexander Skarsgård as one. :rolleyes:

David Paulsen should have had the balls to bring back Al Corley in the role, having been in a coma in Singapore and incredulous the family fell for that idiot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,039
    Is it also possible that Al Corley had a more interesting face than Jack Coleman, or at least for that role?
    upload_2018-3-3_17-58-43.png upload_2018-3-3_17-59-16.png
    They are both handsome, but Corley is (was) not a "stylish" beauty, while Coleman looks like a dime a dozen daytime soap hunk. Not his fault, obviously.
    And maybe I could say the same about Pamela Sue Martin and Emma Samms.

Or maybe I'm wrong?
    What was it about Al Corley that made him the perfect Steven (apart from the fact that he simply was "the first", because that's not necessarily the strongest argument).

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    I think you answered (perfectly) your own question in the reply.

14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    I think Corley was a better actor and had a better understanding of the character and a willingness to play the character as faithfully as he could to his vision of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,039
    I tend to agree with that, but it's also partially hypothetical because not only did they recast Corley with Coleman, they also changed the writing and tone of the show.
    Would, say, Faye Dunaway not have been great as the Dynasty villain? I'd say yes and I definitely would have watched that, but somehow I think Joan Collins was the better Alexis, not the better actress.
    So maybe it all boils down to that magic of perfect casting which is one of the reasons why we liked these soaps, I think.
    And maybe also the reason why some soaps didn't make it (Paper Dolls, Emerald Point).
    In the case of The Colbys I'd say that it wasn't a flop because it only lasted two seasons, no, it lasted two whole seasons because it was good (enough) despite all the elements working against the show. And I think casting had a lot to do with it, mostly Stephanie Beacham and Maxwell Caulfield.
    Paper Dolls and Emerald Point (and maybe Flamingo Road too, although it's much better than the those two) didn't have any characters (or actors in those roles) that stood out.

I don't think Al Corley was the only actor who could play Steven, but he was the only one who should play Steven. It's a kind of chemistry or on-screen magic that cannot be denied.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    I agree with any post that has Josh Henderson's photo in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1