Should Sue Ellen have eventually been like a bitchier Miss Ellie?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by tommie, Jun 4, 2019.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,100
    Medals:
    I'm (re-re-)-watching Swedish super soap Rederiet right now and it's obviously inspired by Dallas in so many ways. It's based on a family business and of course you have the Jock character, the Ellie character, the JR character and the Sue Ellen character.

Only this plays out different - the "Ellie" character finds out that "Jock" has an illegitimate child and well, jumps off the boat. Dunzo. The "Sue Ellen" character does take a lot of charge early on in the show and becomes really rude and rather bossy.

(Of course you also have a Fallon character where the oldest daughter might come to take "Sue Ellen"'s place...)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +667
    In answer to the thread-title question, I don't think so. Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen were literally worlds apart in their character and nature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,438
    Medals:
    If you mean, should Sue Ellen have eventually become the matriarch of Southfork? Then, possibly. With Pam out of the picture, it would have been at least as likely as the Bobby and Anne scenario we saw in TNT Dallas. It was certainly what she was expecting when the original series began.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,699
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Yes, the eventual Lady of the Manor. By TNT's nuDALLAS, I wanted to see Sue Ellen living in the posh attic room at Southfork, peering out through windows, imperious mistress of all she surveys below.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,443
    I agree. There really wasn't any woman JR or Bobby was ever married to that I would say is similar to Miss Ellie. The closest either came to marrying a woman similar in nature and character to Miss Ellie was Jenna, because she was a rancher's daughter. She would have been the most likely to share a love of the land and the love of a ranching family's way of life.

I don't think it's likely that Sue Ellen would have ever had the opportunity to take over the lady of Southfork because her last break-up with JR was so ugly She even shot JR around the time of their final breakup. Then she married Don Lockwood and the two of them moved to England. She already regretted marring JR the second time. I just don't see her marrying JR a third time or JR wanting to marry her again. JR rarely forgave and beer forgot. It wasn't in his nature to forgive her shooting him, forgive her destroying his attempt to take over West Star, and forgive her threatening him with the movie she made with Don Lockwood specifically for the purpose of hurting JR.

Since this isn't the fake Dallas, or the TNT Dallas (if you prefer) forum, whatever Cynthia Cidre's show depicted is of no consequence to this particular thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,100
    Medals:
    So... what you're saying is that Matriarch Swellin' would've been living in Lucy's room? Oh the disgrace!

7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,699
    Medals:
    Lucy wasn't in the attic. But it should have become Sue Ellen's crows nest.