Should The Colbys have started earlier?

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by ClassyCo, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I'm not sure if this particular topic has been discussed on this new site already, but I just thought I would kick-start it here.

Would Dynasty's spinoff, The Colbys, been more successful had it started earlier? I've always thought the reason Knots Landing became the hit it was because it started when Dallas itself was still young, and the two shows rose together. (Of course, Dallas was the greater hit, although Knots outlasted it.)

I've often thought The Colbys should have started around the fall of 1982 or maybe in early 1983. I my theory, I wouldn't have killed Cecil, but brought him over to California, and I seriously doubt I would have did a whole lot of "introducing" this new family dynasty on the parent show. They already had a Colby--Cecil--who was equal to Blake in many ways, and this could have generated conflict with his brother Jason. Of course, I would have took Jeff over, and perhaps Sammy Jo or Kirby. Sammy Jo probably would have been better; she could have pursued an acting/modeling career in California and her storylines with the ever-confused Steven could have stopped.

Had Dynasty II started earlier, Pamela Sue Martin would have still been around as Fallon, and possibly (...just possibly) she would have stuck around longer had the scripts been more to her liking. Maybe "the baby" (or the spinoff) would have matured and perhaps even outlasted Dynasty (just as Knots outlasted Dallas).

Simply a theory... What do you think?

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,414
    It has been discussed before, I'm the one who started the thread on both forums, many others agree that The Colby's would've succeeded and perhaps even outlasted Dynasty had it started earlier with a much different premise aside from oil.

What made Knots Landing so successful in its own right, was the fact that it wasn't a carbon copy of Dallas, and the fact that the Knots narrative had been in the back of TPTB's minds as Knots was thought of before Dallas was.

Dallas was about rich people in the oil industry with inherited wealth, Knots Landing was about several families living in a cul de sac getting by with middle class issues, and yes there were wealthy people in the show but the characters usually had to work for it, except for Gary of course.

The Colby's, though set in LA, never took advantage of its setting, they basically rehashed Dynasty's old or discarded storylines from years earlier, and although The Colby's was producing much better storylines than what Dynasty was churning out at the same time, its characters were just counterparts with similar traits as Dynasty characters for instance:
    Miles - Adam
    Bliss - Amanda
    Monica - Fallon (PSM's version)

Though not every comparison is set in stone as Frankie is supposed to be Krystle of The Colby's.

The Colby's could've been a success had it, chose a different industry to focus on, I mean it was set in LA, The Colby's could've been movie moguls!!

Made the characters their own personalities and not copy cats from Dynasty.

And had Aaron Spelling allowed The Shapiros to develop the spin off much earlier like they originally wanted before Spelling stole their Hotel show idea and used it for his own creation.

Plus the fact that The Colby's premiered at time when Dynasty itself
    Was being ripped to shreds by the press because of the Moldavian debacle.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    Change one thing and you change everything. Take Sammy Jo away from Dynasty? Absolutely not.
    In essence, there was nothing wrong with Dynasty's ideas for season 4 and 5, before the Colbys. It just didn't turn out so great.

Personally I have no problem with another oil family, especially since most of the storylines focussed on other businesses anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,414
    Season 4 of Dynasty was probably the most decent season of the middle years, certainly more superior than season 6.

Another oil family would've been okay had they not rehashed old storylines from Dynasty.

Taking Sammy Jo to the spin off would've only have worked had the spin off started earlier, by season 6 she was involved in a major storyline involving Krystle's double ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  5. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    It seems the vast majority agree that the fault with The Colbys were three things: 1) it wasn't a spinoff, it was a clone; 2) it started too late; and 3) reused old plots from the parent show. I agree that the reason Knots Landing succeeded because it didn't clone Dallas, but it appealed to a slightly different audience on a differentiated level.

As I said above, had the spinoff started earlier, I think Sammy Jo would have been an ideal character to use. She was already established with the audience, but was used very little (at that time) on the parent show.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    There's nowhere that says Sammy Jo had to be taken away from Dynasty to be on The Colbys. She could have gone back and forth between both shows, stirring up trouble for each family. Heck, Heather Locklear could have been on THREE shows at once (TJ Hooker, remember?)!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    It was? Well, I would have watched 10 Dynasty-clones!
    According to the Book Of Spin-Off Rules? The most important thing is that it happened. But I can't say I missed The Colbys before the show was created.
    It was a very pleasant surprise.
    And yet it felt so different...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    Hmm....I don't know.

upload_2017-4-11_21-21-32.png

• Like Like x 4
  9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,414
    Well, what can I say, season 6B was brilliantly camp certainly better than season 6A and season 7B :-D

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,956
    Casting was so important to these '80s nighttime soaps -- in fact, one could argue DYNASTY coasted on its casting for years after the writers stopped writing. So while it's true that KNOTS had a different premise and structure from its parent series DALLAS, and THE COLBYS was much more similar to DYNASTY, they can all still work if well cast .... and, y'know, well-written.

So I'm not sure when they started matters that much. Pamela Sue Martin wanted out of DYNASTY at the end of Season 2 when her buddy, Al Corley, was pushed out. And the writing for Fallon in S3 and S4 gave her no reason to change her mind. Sadly. So she wouldn't have done the spin-off -- and, as I'm against re-casting core characters as a rule (because it never works) I'd leave Fallon out of THE COLBYS.

Sure, you'd have to change the connecting points between DYNASTY and THE COLBYS, but by re-casting Fallon with Emma Samms, you've basically changed it all around anyway.

THE COLBYS showed a promise with Huson & Bast, and Beacham, that DYNASTY no longer did. But the top brass were too caught up with merchandising and splashing their toes in the Mediterranean to be concerned with what either program was doing. Amazingly for a new show, Bast and Huson were told they "can do whatever you want" and while you can feel their presence on THE COLBYS, you can also hear the knuckledhead machine of Spelling-Cramer-Shapiro-Pollock grinding away in the background somewhere.

And as John Forsythe once said in a ~2000 interview: "the most important person on the set is the producer!"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    Jeff and Fallon had been doing their "thing" for 5 years already (minus the missing-year), so, a continuation of that love-or-not storyline probably wasn't the best thing to look forward to.
    But somehow it worked, not necessarily because I had this romantic idea that they belonged together, but because of the effect it had on the other Colbys.
    This love triangle wouldn't have worked with Jeff/Channing/Miles (or any other previously unknown woman) because there's no way I would have rooted for Jeff who behaved like a total bitch.
    Ha, it was almost as if the roles of "Jeff & Fallon 1" had been reversed.

But Fallon was his supposed-to-be wife, and she was the mother of LB, and she was mentally ill - and the very idea that Miles and Sable would dismiss important facts like these made them appear heartless and selfish.
    Jeff was a hero by default, and perhaps Miles was a villain by default. Like I said before, it felt so different.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    I think Pamela Sue Martin would've in that case left THE COLBYS instead of DYNASTY after a couple of seasons.

Martin approached Fallon with care-free shits and giggles attitude and never cared much for her or the decadence portrayed on the show, which ironically brought out the great qualities in her performance that the audience loved.

But for this very reason, her interest in participating in the show over a long run was simply not sustainable and she would've grown tired of it regardless of the quality of scripts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    <3

14. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,414
    If by some miracle TPTB convinced PSM to stay for an earlier version of Th Colby's then its no way I would rehash the already tired Jeff/Fallon to-ing and fro-ing around, Jeff would find someone else to love and Fallon would have a succession of lovers and flings all the while, running her successful business.

However the real question I guess is if PSM had decided to return to her role of Fallon, how would they have planned out her return storyline? And would Fallon have been made to be wimpy as Emma Samms's Fallon was? As watered down as Fallon was in seasons 3 and 4 I still prefer her during that period to how she was written in The Colby's.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    If only 6A and all of 7 had been that way...

Good points, all around. :D

Don't say that! :( You're ruining my fantasy that PSM would have stayed for all 9 seasons had the writing stayed good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    It was Martin herself who said in 2013: "My character Fallon is someone I never felt any connection with."

I don't think she particularly cared for Fallon or the show even during the better written early years. She was also bored, tired, washed out and had a myriad of health problems by 1984.

Being a kind of a hippy with strong 60s ideas, she may have been initially intrigued by Dynasty from a political point of view. But the original approach the show took in season 1 was not sustainable if it were to become a top-rated prime-time soap.

And on top of that, Pamela really wanted to make movies (as Collins also recalled in one of the interviews). Sadly, she began with that awful cocaine addiction movie she wrote the screenplay for herself (it has a 4.0 rating on IMDb).

• Informative Informative x 1