Should the status quo with Richard have remained?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Jock Og, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    Angela got the shock of her life, at the end of season 6 when Peter Stavros left her a letter revealing Richard as her son. Would you have preferred that this plot twist had not happened and history was not rewritten, or were you of the opinion that this development would initiate an interesting new dynamic?

Richard meets Kit Marlowe for the first time, at Del Oro. They exchange pleasantries, (a scene from season 6, 1986 – ‘87):

Richard: “I’m Richard Channing!”

Kit: “As in Angela Channing?”

Richard: “She is a distant relative, many times removed.”

(Little does Richard know just how much a relative she really is to him, at this point? Some months later he discovered what happened 45 years ago).

• Like Like x 4
  2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +521
    I liked it. It was a soap twist but honestly worked for me and was handled well.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I didn't like it. That's one of these horrible soap clichés. I know they did this all the time in the 80s (Pam Ewing was the first, I think) but that's no excuse. It's just stupid. And in Richard's case it wasn't necessary, either.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +595
    When I watched the show for the first time I accepted what they did but years later thought about the twist again. Richard could still have featured as an important character, being Jacqueline's son. I mean it worked for five or six years, when the show was on.

• Like Like x 4
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +521
    I think it works better though if they ever do a continuation. Lance just had Lisa and that whole pilar story line was awful, and I don't see him much as an aged grandfather like Angela. But I can see Richard retiring and his two sons with their mysterious background stories taking on the next chapter along with a host of enemies new and from falcon crest's past.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,160
    I really liked how this twist was done especially using footage from Jane Wyman's film The Blue Veil made is seem more believable and easier to accept. It was good for the show and gave a new and interesting dynamic to the Richard and Angela relationship.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,433
    I found it more interesting when he was Jacqueline's son (and Chase's half-brother and Maggie's half-brother-in-law), and they had already put so much effort in that storyline, and it was all diminished just because they felt they had to create yet another twist, just for the heck of it.
    The drama at the bay was enough cliffhanger imo.

And then Emma wanted to jump off the roof and Chao-Li had a heart attack, it was just too much. Almost like a parody.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    I hated it, from that moment i could not take FC serious anymore, it was just another comedy show to laugh about.
    Lost my interest completly from S7 on and didn't care what happened anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +490
    I didn't mind the plot twist. However it did not seem to be in the character of Douglas to go along with something like this but Jacqueline would've had it in her.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,433
    Although...

Maybe it wasn't so relevant anymore that he was Chase's half-brother, because Chase was gone, all the parents involved were gone, in fact, quite a few characters were gone at the end of season 6.
    Do you think they moulded the remaining characters into a new "core" by creating new (and very close) connections?
    It seems to me that these soaps always need a core, a group of people who can freely interact e.g. barging in and out of eachothers houses and offices.
    What reason does Maggie (almost-ex-wife-now-widow) have to visit Angela?
    Perhaps the remaining characters were too scattered and also a little bit disconnected, therefore it seems very convenient to give Richard a rightful place at Falcon Crest, even if he and his mother still hated eachother.

But whatever the reason was, they sure got the timing right.

• Like Like x 4
  11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,436
    That's a good take on why they even decided to go down this path with Richard - I think it's a common problem with soaps that are based around families though. When key characters leave it's hard to just replace them and make it believable. Maggie would have no reason to really interact with Angela with Chase, Cole and Vicky gone, even if she got involved with non-child-of-Angela-version of Richard. This is probably why a show like Knots Landing had a much easier time to replace characters since anyone could just move in and out of the cul-de-sac, but it's not as easy for the Ewings, Carringtons and Channings/Giobertis where they end up coming up with long-lost children, cousins, siblings and other distant relatives that are suddenly thrust into the plots.

With that said, even if they did a good job with digging up that old Wyman clip to sell it, it also wasn't in Douglas' character to do such a thing at all.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The twist surrounding Richard's true parentage is something in mixed on, I don't necessarily hate, nor am I all for it, but this is how I rationalise the whole storyline.

In THE VINTAGE YEARS, Richard was not only there from the beginning but he was also Angela's son, in competition with his nephew; Lance, to gain her favour.

The idea of Richard being Angela's son was there from the very beginning, from before the official pilot, this is where I commend TPTB in keeping some sort of continuity, there is also the excellent point made by @Willie Oleson, by 1987 the Gioberti/Channing clan was looking very thin; Chase, Cole, Julia, Peter and Terrie had all left by that point within one year/season more or less, so by making Richard, the series secondary villain, into the son of the show's main villain; Angela was a smart move in a way that kept the series going for a few more years.

Although, had they not gone down this route you could still have two separate factions: Richard, Maggie & Vickie on one side and
    Angela & Lance on the other, with Emma remaining friendly and neutral to both sides and Melissa being her own third faction in the war of Tuscany Valley, with her own agenda of ridding both sides off Tuscany Valley, this outcome might've worked better in the long as Melissa may have remained on until the end.

Another thing with this twist is the fact that it really should've been done earlier in series, around season 3 or 4 perhaps, dramatically in the case of Richard, Maggie and Chase, this would've been interesting to see, Maggie going off with Richard, Cole and Vickie side with their mother, leaving Chase alone with possibly Melissa by his side or his own new group of fiends like him to back him up.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,433
    When Richard broke free from the Cartel (and her supervision), especially after Henri Denault's death, Jacqueline could have figured that sooner or later he would find his real mother.
    Or maybe Angela could start to suspect something at some point.
    And the last thing Jacqueline wanted was a Richard-Angela coalition against Chase. She was sick and she couldn't protect him and his family forever.
    She probably didn't care what Angela or Richard thought of her and Douglas' most evil deed (it would have been a little too late for that) but I don't think she wanted Chase to know.
    How could he still love his mother after what she had done, and continued to do until Richard started to rebel against The Cartel?
    The only way to stop Richard's quest was to appoint herself as the "mother" so she could still control the story and secure (what was left of) the love and respect of Chase & Co.
    Long story short: damage control.

Did Peter Stavros have an affair with Jacqueline? Yeah...probably.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,210
    That's it -- it was the execution of the story which was the problem. Why would a man who still adored his ex-wife decades after their divorce participate in such a baby-snatching scheme??

In order to sell it to us, all they have to do is tell the tale! But they didn't.

I've always envisioned Jacqueline tricked Douglas into believing that baby Richard was sired by an Agretti -- Douglas later realizing he'd been duped after it was too late to undo the conspiracy.

But just tell us!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    The saga twist should have been fleshed out more. It was shocking and sensationalist but the viewers did deserve a lot more than Peter saying in his letter that “Jacqueline and Douglas did a terrible thing, by stealing your first born child, to cause hurt.” Well what else would such an evil deed have caused but with these two characters dead no explanation could be offered. Snarky’s idea has merit. However rather than bringing an Agretti into the snatch, as a ruse I would have actually had him somehow involved.

One of the Agretti brothers (probably Frank) could’ve added a dimension of clarity. Jacqueline and Angela had a deep rooted hatred for each other; fuelled by jealousy of what each other had, with the Perrault woman noted for more behind the back doings, while Angela told it and done it more to your face. Having Frank talk with Richard and Angela about what he knew would’ve made an alternative scenario. Perhaps Jacqueline with her underworld connections threatened to permanently silence Douglas and Frank, if they ever revealed the truth to Mrs. Channing.

With Jacqueline five years dead Frank could now talk. Was Jacqueline so twisted that she would deprive Angela of having a Channing grandchild; to continue the family line, had her deadly secret never been revealed?

Maggie and Richard are about to hit the sack. Maggie appears from the en suite, (a scene from season 8, 1988-’89):

Maggie: “Even at her own daughter’s wedding I mean the woman could not resist making disparaging remarks, about that article. I’ll tell ya it’s really a shame if she can’t see the value of the company, into this valley.”

Richard: “Well you know my mother Angela Channing, when she gets her nose out of joint. Oh….oh….oh!”

The phone rings!

Richard: “I wouldn’t answer that if I were you, might be Angela.”

Maggie: “I think it’s Emma!”

Maggie: “Hello! Yeah. Just a moment please. Honey it’s for you.”

Richard: “Hello! Well hello! It’s a little late. What can I do for you? Ha ah! I don’t think that is a good idea, at all. Sounds to me we should have a meeting, face to face. Ha ah! Tomorrow’s fine. You better get to bed, it’s even later there.”

Richard to Maggie: “I’ve got to go to New York, tomorrow.”

Maggie: “Oh really! Why?”

Richard: “Just an old associate of mine in a bit of trouble. I’m gonna try and talk him out of doing something, which might get him into even more trouble.”

Richard then has a drink of milk, shakes his head and looks up to the ceiling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +484
    The use of Jane's old film provided a bit of authenticity but why Douglas why?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1