Should we have eventually found out that Alexis masterminded the Rita situation...

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,806
    Medals:
    … manipulating Sammy Jo from a distance in some way?

I mean, Alexis needs to be guilty of something horrendous on occasion.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,805
    I was glad, at the time, how abruptly the storyline ended. But in retrospect, the abrupt termination augments DYNASTY's unreality principle. Why didn't Krystle suffer from PTSD? Why wasn't there heightened security? Why wasn't there more paranoia? And crude jokes around the house and Denver? This is what late-night comedians would have zeroed in. And certainly, why didn't Alexis have a private detective follow Rita, take pictures, and taunt Krystle with their publication when she owned a newspaper?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,806
    Medals:
    Sometimes I wonder if Joanna Cassidy should have played Rita from the very beginning -- not just that second double Alexis hired to cast doubt on Krystle's kidnapping story which only happened inside my head.

[​IMG]

She'd claim she'd just come back from the doctor in Denver where'd she'd had a wee bit of outpatient cosmetic work -- and a hair cut... Y'know, just to throw Blake's suspicions off.

• Creative Creative x 3
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Medals:
    There was so much that could have and should have happened as a fallout from this but it was all swept under the carpet so quickly and completely. I mean nobody had any reaction that a doppelganger imposter had been living in their midst for however long. Even on a soap a turn of events such as this deserves some kind of head scratching or reflection on how something so utterly bizarre could have taken place right under their noses. But nope, it was straight back to business as usual at the Carrington mansion.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Though my preference would be for the Krystle/Rita swap to take place prior to the Carringtons leaving for Moldavia with Rita being killed in the coup, an alternate would be:

Sammy Jo befriends Rita hoping she can find a way to use her resemblance to Krytstle to get her inheritance. Sammy Jo humors Rita by listening to tales of her illustrious career: "and in this film I was attacked by giant radioactive ants!" Joel gets involved and the swap happens shortly after the Carrington's return from Moldavia - not accidentally, no karate chop to the neck. Rita does her best to impersonate Krystle but family members begin to comment to one another that there's something off about Krystle.

After undoing the trust that Daniel left to Sammy Jo (letting Sammy Jo have access to her entire inheritance) "Krystle" begins siphoning money out of Krystle's bank accounts. "Krystle" makes large credit card purchase and then tries to return the items for cash. It's only after Blake becomes aware of the shady money dealings that Blake confronts "Krystle". "Krystle" tries to talk her way out of it when Blake asks if maybe her behavior is the result of the emotional trauma she experienced during the coup in Moldavia; "Krystle" goes along with this, even agreeing to see a psychiatrist. Joel realizes it's time to switch Krystle and Rita back and get out of town.

During the time she's been Joel's captive (not at Delta Rho - nothing to connect it to Sammy Jo) Krystle has wondered who would hate her enough to put her through this ordeal. She can only think of one person: Alexis. When Krystle asks Joel if Alexis is responsible for her kidnapping he is vague at first but he eventually lets Krystle believe she's discovered the truth.

Krystle is released and Joel and Rita skip town with the money they've managed to get (not that much - at least to a Carrington). Krystle tells Blake of her ordeal and the horrible woman who impersonated her. Blake is convinced Krystle has suffered a complete breakdown. The psychiatrist (whom Krystle insists she has never met before) examines Krystle; he believes she is suffering from a delusion but doesn't diagnose her as clinically insane - she does not need to be committed. Blake gathers the family together and urges them to be patient with Krystle during this difficult time.

The Carringtons are invited to a black tie gala. Blake asks Steven to keep Alexis from attending the gala to avoid upsetting Krystle; Alexis has plans out of town so it shouldn't be a problem. Blake and Krystle are enjoying themselves at the gala when Alexis arrives unexpectedly: "I changed my mind". Krystle becomes upset and, seeing an opportunity, Alexis provokes her. Krystle loses her temper and violently lashes out at Alexis; the paparazzi's camera bulbs begin to flash. Alexis (despite Steven and Amanda's pleas not to) presses charges against Krystle who is charged with assault. At her arraignment Krystle is remorseful and all appears to be going well until the judge asks what would make such a poised and graceful lady behave in such a way. Krystle tells of her kidnapping and replacement with a doppleganger. The D.A. requests a psychiatric evaluation and the judge approves. Krystle fails the evaluation and is sent to a psychiatric facility pending her trial.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,072
    Medals:
    Basically this should have been the back bone of season 6. I can see an episode cliff hanger with Krystle stood to hear the psychiatric evaluation results then collapsing as she's all but declared insane and committed to a psychiatric ward as the swirly Dynastic music swells to dramatic effect around her. Alexis looking shocked but pleased. Blake looking terrified and Amanda and Steven consoling each other in this horror. The final scene of the episode a sort of homage to the reactions of the cast when Alexis took the stand at Blake's trial.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,794
    Medals:
    And then the big question will be: what is Sammy Jo going to do, since she's the only other person who knows the truth. Or maybe Adam too, and blackmails Sammy Jo into marrying him (for no other reason than to spite Steven, and maybe trying to take Danny away from him).

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,195
    Medals:
    First off: :clap::clap::clap:

Second off...

Great reference to Joan Collins' previous work. :lol:

Yes, Adam should definitely get involved. In fact, he's the one who figures out where to keep Krystle, and like I've suggested before, uses "Krystle" to help him convince Blake of doing certain business ventures (not sure what yet).

Since you mentioned that Krystle knows she was being impersonated, how did she find that out? Would you keep in Krystle walking in on Rita? Or would Krystle simply catch a glimpse of Rita as the former is being chloroformed by Joel?

Also, you say shortly after the family returns from Moldavia... but what about Fallon's return? When would (or should) that happen in regards to the whole doppelganger incident?

I've talked about this in a different thread before: as Sammy Jo and Joel are prepping Rita to make her look like Krystle, SJ complains that Rita looks all wrong. "She looked more like Aunt Krystle when she had red hair and heavy makeup!"

That makes Joel realize that they can't make Rita look exactly like Krystle, otherwise Rita'll just look like a cheap knockoff, and nobody will be fooled. At this, Sammy Jo is ready to give up, but Joel points out they simply need to make Krystle look like Rita as well.

So Sammy Jo convinces Auntie Krystle to come and have a "day of beauty" with her niece, who charms her aunt into getting a new hairstyle and makeup job. Rita later gets the same, and both Joel and Sammy Jo agree that *now* the two women look identical.

The family sees the real Krystle with her new look, and compliment her, with Steven remarking, "You look like a new woman!" (Haha. ;))

However, when Rita shows up, Blake does a double-take when he sees her. Obviously nervous but managing to cover it up with a smile, Rita says to her "husband", "Still not used to the new hairstyle, darling?"

"Er... no, I suppose not," responds Blake. He smiles and shrugs, dismissing any suspicion.

But yes, the rest of the family begins to agree that there's "something off" about Krystle.

Wow. You actually made the bad guys smart. Bravo. :D

Excellent. :D I'd have it so that at first, Krystle believes she's being held captive by the guerrillas from Moldavia, and Joel lets her believe it. But after listening carefully to Joel, Krystle realizes his accent is fake. He can't be one of the guerrillas. She confronts him, but he won't say anything. Krystle is forced to arrive to conclusions herself, and just as you said, she can only think of one person who'd do this to her: Alexis.

I'd still try to keep the catfight. I suppose there's a miscommunication that happens between Joel and Rita so that the latter accidentally goes where Krystle is being kept. Krystle attacks her double, and the fight commences. Joel overhears the ruckus, and grabs more chloroform. Right after Krystle defeats Rita with a mean right hook, Joel jumps on her and knocks her out. Joel places Krystle in her own car and drives it somewhere, while Rita follows in Joel's car. They put Krystle behind the wheel, and drive off. Krystle is awakened when a cop knocks on her window.

Hah. I love it. :D

YES! A grand Krystle/Alexis catfight that Season 6 never had (the mudslide never really counted; though I would keep that in too).

How would Krystle fail the evaluation, though? Especially if the previous psychiatrist said Krystle did not need to be committed? Although, I'd be tempted to allow that to happen because...

...this actually does sound amazing. :D

Actually, I thought of a possible way for Krystle to get out of this mess: in the past, I suggested that there should be more physical differences between Krystle and Rita aside from their hair, nose and accent. Rita should have gray eyes which she disguises with colored contacts; Rita should also have a tattoo on her right shoulder-blade that she never thought to get rid of beforehand and always had to keep covered up while in disguise.

However, Blake caught a glimpse of the tattoo once and was thunderstruck that his wife would get such a thing. Rita claimed that Sammy Jo talked her into getting one "because it was fun!" Later, Blake sees the real Krystle with her back exposed as she undresses in front of him, and he sees the tattoo is gone. He asks her about it, and she of course has no idea what he's talking about. Blake then goes to Sammy Jo to ask if she ever convinced her aunt to get a tattoo.

Sammy Jo answers no, and Blake realizes that Krystle *must* have been telling the truth after all! Blake describes Rita's tattoo to Sammy Jo to make sure, and SJ realizes she has a chance to help her aunt and ease her own guilt. She confirms that she never convinced Krystle of such an act, but she also "remembers" catching a glimpse of the tattoo when she and "Krystle" were conversing in her aunt's room and "Krystle" changed into another top.

I know it's not much, but maybe other things that the rest of the family remembers come up, and together they're all able to offer up enough proof that Krystle indeed had been kidnapped and replaced by an impostor.

And this is what sparks the fight between Blake and Alexis: not Alexis suddenly falling back in love with Blake, but Blake taking Krystle's side and believing that Alexis was behind the whole thing. Alexis is furious and outraged, insisting she is innocent, but Blake just calls her a liar... and a few other colorful things. He also says that, while he can't prove Alexis did it ("Just like how I can't prove you killed my baby!"), he will be imposing a restraining order on her so that she is legally barred from coming near the Carrington mansion.

Practically foaming at the mouth, Alexis goes on a tirade about being cut off from her grandchildren - sorry, her "children's children!" - and how Krystle is mentally ill and needs to be locked up, and after Blake storms out, Alexis declares she'll destroy him once and for all... and goes to Australia to bring back Ben.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,794
    Medals:
    I want to see Sammy Jo come up smelling of roses like Abby did in Knots after their kidnapping story.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,195
    Medals:
    Sammy Jo can come across as the sweet, dutiful niece as she tries to help her aunt prove her innocence. Hah, I can just imagine a halo and white-feathered wings appearing on Sammy Jo as she does this. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    You did what I thought was impossibke. You took the worst plot of all the four soaps imho, and made it interesting and compelling. Very impressive:ex:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +297
    I'm watching the Doppelganger right now. And it strikes me how logical it seems (even though I hate that particular plot). Of course they should put an exact copy of K in the mansion. What else?

How was this part of the show received in the 80's? I'm betting not too well. It is absolutely ridicules, and steers the ship even further away from the first impression of the saga so well crafted seasons 1-3(4 also, really).

Was this Dynasty's "dream moment" as Dallas had with Bobby?
    And no one ever talks about it when it's over, or the fact that out there; there is a face just like KC:s, think of the possibilities for deception and crimes. No decency at all. Even Reagan talked about her devil in The Exorcist, and that was nearly as frighting as Rita!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,806
    Medals:
    Oh, people moaned about it. And this plot -- as well as Alexis' pursuit of the Moldavian throne (and other misguided plotlines) -- caused a ratings crash and the ABC network demanded the production shut down mid-season and be retooled; they even asked Esther Shapiro to make an on-air apology (which she refused, but it was still funny that they asked her to). It was a high-profile fiasco, and the press were on top of it -- as they still believed the series could be salvaged, although the producers would repeatedly prove that such salvation was impossible as long as they were in charge.

The Moldavian story was ended (the only loss was that Alexis' coronation scene, already shot, was dropped) and Krystle was pulled out of the attic after 10 episodes --- 3 1/2 months in weekly prime time, which made the entire hostage situation feel like chinoiserie water torture (it's nowhere near as taxing to watch in daily reruns or during DVD marathon viewing sessions).

But the front office of DYNASTY, vile and finger-pointing as always, tried to dump blame onto the well-padded shoulders of the show's two biggest draws: Linda and Joan.... actually attempting to blame Season 6's spiraling out of control to Joan going AWOL in the first episodes of the season six months earlier during a salary dispute supposedly throwing off the remainder of the year's plotlines (as if the show were that tightly-scripted); and then they put out the story that Linda not only loved the doppelganger plotline, but that she'd come up with it herself and recommended it to producers (in fact, Evans thought it was as dopey as everybody else did --- and the writers had originally intended the Rita plot to go on all season long!) Worse still, when Linda was unable to meet with the producers for an impromptu get-together to discuss the re-tooling because she had a contracted hair color commercial to film in France a damn-sight more glamorous than the series, one of the Pollocks (who'd created this narrative mess in the first place) sneered in the press that "some people think of DYNASTY as a part-time job."

The very gall. Linda graciously didn't get them fired for that comment, unfortunately.

John Forsythe simply said: "The bosses weren't minding the store."

The last half of Season 6 was a bit better, to be sure, or at least seemed more focused. But astute critics who were beginning to hold DYNASTY accountable for its incompetence observed that even the promising finale with Alexis on the mansion landing felt like a bit of a death rattle, reflecting a resigned finality ("no revelation, no resolution" as one reviewer described the series' usual rambling plot structure).

For the next three years, the show mounted a "come back to DYNASTY, we've fixed it!" PR campaign every 6 months, but the people working on the PR campaign should have been assigned to the show itself, as the Pollocks just made it worse and worse. (Until Paulsen came in to guide Season 9, a terrific year, but too late for DYNASTY to be saved).

DYNASTY's "dream moment" preceded DALLAS' by a few months. Season 6 opened, as you know, with an incredibly lazy aftermath to the most talked about TV plot of 1985 -- the Moldavian Massacre, despite 4 months of press write-up about it, so tone deaf were the second-string producers who were allowed to ruin the series by the distracted top producers. That was made worse by the clunky COLBYS' introductory scenes, as well as the Alexis-will-be-queen and Krystle-has-a-twin storylines which necessitated the mid-term re-tooling ABC demanded.

It was pretty ghastly and embarrassing. But people were even more appalled by DALLAS' dream scenario with which Bobby was revived because it was so far below what DALLAS' fans had come to expect -- although the arrival of Donna Reed should have prepped us for what could happen even on Southfork.

I always found these things very sad: it was all-too-obvious the foolishness of these unneeded and inexplicable errors, and yet they were a sign of these shows' ultimate destruction, which is exactly what happened in the last half of the '80s. The brass had lost any sense of their own programs yet fervently trudged forward into the black morass of their own creative futility, the reputations they'd built eliminated along with most of the audience.

Hah! You mean Linda Blair or the 40th POTUS??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +886
    Medals:
    Alexis, no matter how evil she could be, would never put Blake’s life in jeopardy. Nor would she put any of her other family members in harm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +652
    It was said several times before, Alexis was not supposed to be the queen of Moldavia, it was just a dream scene cut from the episode "The divorce".

Also, the Rita plot was to be concluded in "Masquerade" with the arrest of Rita and Joel. In the seasonal bible, Krystle had a nervous breakdown in the last episodes of the season (which was reduced to a couple of scenes with the retooling) and Sammy Jo tried to remove Krystle as her will executor. It was planned form the start that Rita and Joel would not be there till the end of the season.

As for John Forsythe's statement "The bosses weren't minding the store", it was said in late 1986 (season 7, not 6).

16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,391
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Bollocks, Shapiros, Forsythe... Look for the definition of "passive-agressive" and you should find a group pic of them in the dictionary... :re:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,806
    Medals:
    Not even Krystle's, as she did Krystle's baby?

What's so evil about Alexis then?

You're very authoritative, but I saw Forsythe say it in Spring 1986 on my own personal television machine.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,455
    Medals:
    I don't think Alexis would consider either of those "family". :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Well, he definitely used the expression "nobody was watching the store" for season 7 :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...message/2edcc83a-8ca2-4469-b50f-99e976350cbd/ (January 4, 1987)
    Forsythe says the show, created by Richard and Esther Shapiro, has continued to use the same writers, but "what happened is that there's been some internecine warfare in the company between our producers ... As a result, nobody was watching the store, and things got to be pretty bad. But I think we're back on the right track now, we're all working together ... We'll never be 'Bill Cosby,' but I think we'll be back where we should be. I think that one of the disturbing things about 'Dynasty' has been that I have been so browbeaten by Alexis ... I represented some curious kind of a father-figure, and to have a father-figure kicked around ..." He sighed. "I think things are getting better."

20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,806
    Medals:
    I believe you. But he also said it on a morning show after the S6 mid-season retooling; God knows the phrase fit and warranted more than one use.