Movie Top Ten Sidney Poitier

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Karin Schill, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,868
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    It's part of my job to analyze - and also the only way to discover patterns, how we all unintentionally gender things. It's when you are aware that you can choose to do something about it. I feel that Astrid Lindgren was very progressive for her time. She mixed and tried new things. But it's still very obvious that the kids in her stories are gendered, looking at how they dress, what interests they have and most importantly: what expectations other characters (grown-ups, society) have on them - and what expectations they have on themselves. Girls are supposed to be more calm, caring, sweet and helpful with "female" chores. The boys are expected to be more adventurous, more protective of the weaker sex, more helpful with "male" chores.

It would be fine if these patterns was only in fiction, but it's the other way around. Real life dictates how things are portrayed in fiction. But it's easier to find stereotypical situations in fiction without outing real people behaviour. ;)

But as I said, Astrid Lindgren was progressive and I love and respect her for that too. She was also siding with the children, felt they were often more logical than adults and gave them a strong voice. She had guts and was a brilliant writer on top of that. She was quite political too, at least she had a huge influence in political problems. When she spoke, everyone listened. Going up against Astrid was political and social suicide.

It really is too bad you cannot win the Nobel Prize after you've died.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I´m sorry I can´t participate this time. That "Pippi" TV adaptation caused me a few nightmares in my childhood. It was aired in Spain in 1974 still under the dictator´s regime, and some were scandalized because of its content...I´d say it was even censored partly because that was the way they did the things at that time. I only watched American and Japanese series as a kid. "Pippi" was filled with ugly kids, bad actors and a cringe-worthy music theme (and the monkey, that godawful monkey!). What else can I say? I loved Disney instead...But happy new year to everybody!!

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    I forgot to add that thanks to @Emelee, Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman, ABBA and @Karin Schill, Pippi didn´t affect me in my love for everything Swedish, she is just a distant (nightmare-ish) memory...

[​IMG]

After seeing this pic, I loath her even more...​

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    :mad:

Hey, I love that monkey!!!!!!!!!

Praise monkeys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    @Emelee, one pic of that nasty little beech was enough...Tonight I´ll have another Pippi-esque nightmare, I´m sure...

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    "Nasty little beech"........ Watch your mouth or I'll post another 10 pictures of that cutie!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    So I guess you don't like me, huh? Well, I'm used to people don't liking me - though I have no idea why. :(

9. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    I dare you to do that...! And then I´ll post 10 more of Miss Piggy in those play dough little figures doing bondage positions (I swear those exist...)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    Don´t misunderstand moi, @Emelee!! I do like you (are you single, sweetie...) but not that Peepee Loathskankings...

11. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    You didn't mention me in your list of Swedish things you like, so I assumed I wasn't amongst those things. I don't have many friends, I'm hopelessly single and I've never been popular, therefore my self-conscience sucks. Especially after a very lonely depressing Christmas & New Years. It doesn't help that my colleagues like & comment all of each others' posts on social media, but kind of forget about half of mine. I keep on getting forgotten. :(

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  12. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    Oh that can be changed, just pm me!!

The fact is that you seem to be a universal citizen, not someone with one specific nationality...maybe even an alien (oops, I think I did it again...!).

And you were the first to be named, did you read that post well!!!!???

13. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    If I'm an alien, can I choose Neptune as my home planet? I really like the color of it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    I could fall for an alien like this one...

[​IMG]

15. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    You can have him, I'm not into pretty boys. I prefer men. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,071
    rotf @Emelee and @Toni you two make me go :Clol:

I think one monkey picture would have been enough. But I do like monkeys too. Pippi had some cool pets. It's amazes me to read that she was censored in Spain. I mean Pippi is a good girl who has nothing in common with Donald Trump. That picture of him in the wig is just insulting to Pippi! :p

I don't think there were any ugly kids in Pippi. They were normal kids. I like that the kids were not the same type that you see on beauty pageants and certain american tv-series. I think it's okay to look ordinary. Just be yourself and like who you are.

Pippi was a great role model for me growing up because she was independent and kind hearted. But she was also funny and a rebel who walked on her own path. She could be disobedient and she didn't respect certain authority figures like the police men or social ladies who wanted to change the way she lead her life. She was a child who could take care of herself. She was a strong girl who stood up for other children too.

I know where you are coming from as I am hopelessly single too. Also I was bullied between the ages of 10-16. So I definitely wasn't one of the popular kids at school and being bullied did take a toll on my self-confidence too. :( I think when I was at my lowest someone told me "that it didn't matter what the other people thought of me as long as I liked myself for the person I was." I think it was a really good advice that really helped me. So I'd say that you shouldn't pay that much attention to who likes what on social media. It is all very random which posts I like as it's influenced by what the computer brings up in my feed. So just because somebody hasn't liked something you have posted it doesn't mean that they don't like you. It just means that they probably haven't seen the post. :pals:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,071
    After giving it some thought here is my Astrid Lindgren list:

1. Mio Min Mio (1987) Movie

I watched this movie at the cinema when I was 7 years old. It scared the shit out of me. I was frightened of Riddar Kato's silver claw for years afterwards.:embarrassed:
    Anyway this movie left such a lasting impression on me that I included it in my list of 100 favorite movies of all time a few years ago. It is a fantasy movie.
    I watched the movie first and later got the book for Christmas.

2.Alla vi barn i Bullerbyn (1989) TV Series 7 episodes
    This one is both of the Bullerbyn movies that came out in 1986 and 1987. I watched it as a Tv-series. I loved the setting in Småland since my grandma was from there and she was born in 1923. So this story is probably quite close to what her childhood was like. It is a story about a bunch of children living on the country side and what their everyday life was like. It is told with some humor.

3. Pippi Långstrump (1969) Tv-series 13 episodes
    I first watched this on TV in a rerun in the 1980s when I was a young child. But I first got to know about Pippi from the book and I was only 2 years old the first time I visited Pippi's house in Gotland. I remember the second visit there when I was 5 how I thought her attic with a bike in the roof was slightly fascinating and also a bit scary since it was dark. :giggle:

4. Ronja Rövardotter (1984) Movie
    This was cut down into a TV-series which was shown on TV in 1986. I first watched it then. I loved the stories about Ronja and Birk who lived on different sides of the gap in a fortress. I used to jump from one side to another of a whole as a child pretending that I was Ronja who was jumping across the gap called "the mouth of hell". :D
    Anyway their families were in a feud with each other and yet their children befriended each other.

5. Vi På Saltkråkan (1964) Tv-series 13 episodes
    I first watched this on TV in reruns when I was about 6 years old which was the same age as Tjorven in the film so I related to her. I love the Stockholm's archipelago setting and how idyllic life is on this island.

6. Madicken (1979) Tv-series 6 episodes
    I love Madicken too, I could definitely identify with her as a child since she was the oldest of two sisters and so was I. The girls were always up to mischief too and Madicken balanced on the school roof after a dare. I never did that but I did climb up to the roof of the garage. ;)

7. Emil i Lönneberga (1975-1976) Tv-series 13 episodes

I love Emil too. He was a mischevious little boy who was sent to a little house on their property where he was carving some figures out of wood whenever he did a prank. He didn't mean anything bad but a lot of the times his dad lost his temper and sent him to the little house to carve as punishment for something he did. I love the humor in this and how his dad stepped into a mouse trap etc.
    I think this story was inspired by Astrid Lindgren's father's childhood so it was Småland in the late 1800s.

8. Bröderna Lejonhjärta (1977) Movie
    I watched this on TV when I was an older child. I found it very exciting but also a bit sad. It is a fantasy story that deals with what happens after you die and how you come to another dimension each time you die. So there are like many different worlds. After two brothers die in a fire in this world they arrive at another world where they have to fight a dragon. But at the heart of the story is two brothers who love each other.

9. Lotta på Bråkmakargatan (1992) Movie
    I watched this when it came out at the cinema. Lotta was younger than me at that point but I still found the little mischevious girl to be fun to watch. The street where she lives was built at Astrid Lindgren's värld so we visited it the same year the movie came out.

10. Världens Bästa Karlsson (1974) Movie
    I think this might have been broken down into a tv-series in a couple of parts in the 1980s as well. But I can't find any details of it. I enjoyed the story about the little man who knew how to fly too and who befriended the lonely boy called "little brother".

So that's my list. Although there are several movies about Pippi, Saltkråkan, Emil, Bullerbyn and Madicken I have chosen to list them as TV-series rather than movies since that is the way I originally watched them. I basically want to include everything that was made about the characters in my list. I figured my list would have space for more characters by doing it this way rather than listning 3 different Saltkråkan movies or Pippi movies etc.

But yes I love everything made about the characters, including movies that came out after the original Pippi and Saltkråkan tv-series etc.

Astrid Lindgren to me has been such a huge part of my childhood. She remains to this day my most favorite author of all times. :clap:
    I also love how she was very much involved in the production of the movies and tv-series made about her books. She often reads the voice overs and she wrote the scripts so they stay true to the books. The adaptions are flawless.

Also for anyone who is unsure which Astrid Lindgren movies or TV-series that are available you can have a look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Astrid_Lindgren

• Like Like x 1
  18. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,922
    Actually I meant that even if you were as blue as this guy, I´d take you for who you are, alien or not.

:love8::love7:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  19. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,071
    Okay since I think it would be fun if more people could join in this round I've decided to tag some more Swedish members of this board to see if you want to join in! ;)
    @KillerBob @tommie @Zable

20. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    1. Ronja Rövardotter
    2. Mio min Mio
    3. Bröderna Lejonhjärta

I don't know if I count Pippi as a movie.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1