Simple pleasures

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mel O'Drama, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    Do you have regular rituals, routines or times of day you particularly look forward to? You know - a little moment that feels indulgent and/or luxurious.

For me it's that last hot drink of the day - a loose leaf tisane or herbal infusion with various combinations of chamomile, valerian, lavender, rose petals, lemon balm, rosehip, cinnamon, verbena, etc. There's something incredibly therapeutic about the ritual of getting the tin out of its cupboard, scooping the leaves and petals into an infuser and placing it into a chunky rounded mug. Then having those five unhurried minutes of infusion time. It's usually taken on the sofa around 9:30-10pm, where I'll curl up in my dressing gown to watch my current British sitcom.

Even though it happens on a nightly basis, it continues to feel quite luxurious and indulgent. I suppose more than the drink itself it's the accompanying association of having done everything I need to do for the day. Or having survived another day. No matter what kind of day it's been, it never fails to give me a few moments of peace.

[​IMG]

What's your indulgence?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    Unfortunately mine is a habit I'm desperately trying to break. Taking cocaine on the sofa.

:D Only joking but it is a habit I'm trying to break. Wine. I absolutely adore white wine. After a particularly long or stressful day, I love the moment where I can lie out long on my sofa, both my cats with me, my programmes on tv via the Now App or Netflix (or a box set of The Golden Girls), take a long deep breath and take that first sip... it also has to be accompanied by my favourite iPad game - Sims Freeplay. I also go into despair if I don't have tealights lit. You gotta have the tealights. Couple of fairylights too, here and there.

I am trying to limit it to the weekends now only, for health reasons. But wine it is. Coupled with my furbabies at my feet and the things listed above (not the cocaine). Bliss.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    That's popped quite an interesting visual of you into my head…

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I do feel I'm becoming quite set in my ways however. Like I'm freaking out if I run out of tealights and batteries for my fairy lights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,942
    Given - even if I say so myself - my excellent efforts at Slimming World since the end of April last year, I am staying fairly strict. But in terms of a treat, I do - usually at the weekend - go for a cuppa and a nice traybake (either a Fifteen or a Rocky Road). I suppose I feel that being good the rest of the week earns a bit of a treat.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,495
    Coming home and then turn on the computer, knowing it has nothing to do with work.
    Doing the laundry (because I like sniffing the soap and fabric softener)
    Those loooooooooong Sunday afternoon sleeps, I just can't resist it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    Just say no, Sar. It's not big and it's not clever.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,282
    o_O

Me too, Sir..... although, of late... I've been sorrowfully reminded that I need a new iMac... :eek: This Ol' Girl is on her last legs.... :( No more achievable updates.... as slow as a week in Jail... She's on the road out, I fear..... :confused:

K. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,886
    For me it's music. I'm old school and like playing CD's on a proper CD player. Mines broke a while ago and so my music had been played on my laptop which was just awful, I mean borderline depressing. I also had a little portable CD player/radio but it had the most awful tinny sound and just didn't fill a room with music properly. I hardly ever listen to music on my iPhone on my headphones. I like to have the room fill with the music. I just ordered a nice proper CD player in the sales and it arrived today and I have just set it up and it's so much better and just feels right and dare I say it a little luxurious. It also has bluetooth so I can stream my music library from my laptop and take advantage of the better sound and I can connect my phone to it as well via USB.

I just played Boy George and Culture Club ...At worst... The best of. I wanted something I hadn't listened to in ages and it sounded glorious.
    I'm also with Sarah and with the low level lighting. I always have a string of low glow fairy lights draped over my bedroom window instead of any harsh lights.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,777
    Yes, at night I live like a vampire, all dim, cozy lights and orange Himalayan salt lamps from dusk onward -- and, as the evening wears on, I don blueblocker wrap-around glasses.

I've yet to invest in a tin foil hat until my check comes 'round.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,495
    I always use headphones, but these are connected to a good amplifier (the one that has a bass & treble function) which I need for my DJ CD player and record player.

On your laptop? Wow, horror story of the week!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,886
    I'm weird. I hate when the music is only in my head. I need it to be all around me, if that makes sense. That's why it was so depressing hearing it from my laptop or tinny crappy radio.

13. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    My simple pleasure is having a bath every two weeks or so (I usually shower).

A deep warm bath sprinkled with essential oils, a drink on the side either a cup of tea or a glass of red. The room lit by one single candle with the reflection flickering on the walls and bath water, no sounds just silence. Its complete relaxed bliss for an hour.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,886
    Oh yea I'm a bath person too. Love a long hot bath after a long day at work. So good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +848
    I play with Lego for 4 or 5 hours most nights when I get home from work and I sometimes watch old episodes of Blue Peter from the 1970s.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,495
    Be careful, especially if you have family members who are after your inheritance.

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Hot tea (especially Bigelow brand Earl Grey [regular and decaf] and Celestial Seasonings True Blueberry)

18. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,942
    Another thing I really love - a nice drive on an open road with good driving rock music going.

Hard to beat.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +511
    And one other pleasure for me-- the three cups of black coffee I have every morning! (I used to have it with milk, then started to feel that it tasted artificial and watered-down with milk, so I started going black, and henceforth, I've never looked back!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,886
    I usually have 2 black coffee in the morning at work... No other way to start the day.

• Like Like x 1