Sir Ken Dodd dies aged 90.

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Swami, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,942
    Sir Ken Dodd: Comedy legend dies, aged 90
    • 4 hours ago

Known for his variety performances, Sir Ken Dodd was one of the most popular comedians of his time

Media captionKnown for his variety performances, Sir Ken Dodd was one of the most popular comedians of his time
    Sir Ken Dodd, creator of the Diddy Men and one of the most popular comedians of his time, has died aged 90.

The Liverpool legend had recently been released from hospital after six weeks of treatment for a chest infection.

On Friday, he had married Anne Jones, his partner of 40 years, at their house, the same one he grew up in, in the Liverpool suburb of Knotty Ash.

"To my mind, he was one of the last music hall greats," his publicist, Robert Holmes, said.

Sir Ken was famous for his very long stand-up shows - with which he was touring until last year - along with his Diddy Men and the tickling stick.

"He passed away in the home that he was born in over 90 years ago. He's never lived anywhere else. It's absolutely amazing," added Mr Holmes.

[​IMG]Image copyright Getty Images
    Image caption Sir Ken's colourful tickling sticks were always a part of his show
    Sir Ken had been a comedian since 1954 and was born the son of a coal merchant in 1927.

In the 1960s, he made it into the Guinness Book of Records for telling 1,500 jokes in three and a half hours.

After making his name in the music halls, his career in television and radio took off, as he brought national appeal to his regional, perhaps parochial humour.

Image caption Sir Ken had received a knighthood at Buckingham Palace in 2017
    He was a chart-topping singer too: his signature tune Happiness was released in 1964 and his single Tears was the third highest-selling song of the 1960s in Britain, beaten only by two Beatles singles.

Tributes have begun to pour in for Sir Ken, with Irish comic Dara O'Briain describing how he was "so happy" to meet him.

Skip Twitter post by @daraobriain
    Ah, Ken Dodd has died. So happy I got to meet him once, and more importantly, saw him do one of his incredible 5 hour shows. He was an education to watch and, afterwards, at 1.30 am, he had beers with me in the dressing room and talked showbiz. A privilege, and a loss. RIP.

— Dara Ó Briain (@daraobriain) March 12, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @daraobriain

Fellow Liverpudlian and actress Claire Sweeney said he was a "legend and an inspiration".

Skip Twitter post by @clairesweeney
    RIP Sir Ken Dodd. A legend and an inspiration. I have a lot to thank You for. I Was thrilled you had the best birthday party in Liverpool before you left us. Your city, friends,Family and Show business will miss you terribly. pic.twitter.com/iDeEC4yukJ

— Claire Sweeney (@clairesweeney) March 12, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @clairesweeney

Referring to the length of Sir Ken's comedy shows, comedian Gary Delaney also paid tribute on Twitter.

Skip Twitter post by @GaryDelaney
    RIP Sir Ken Dodd. One of the all time greats. The funeral will be held on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday.

— Gary Delaney (@GaryDelaney) March 12, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @GaryDelaney

Sir Ken made his first professional appearance in 1954 at the Theatre Royal, Stockport, but it would be another decade before he made his West End debut, topping the bill at the London Palladium.

Throughout the 1970s and 80s, he was a regular face on TV and worked to a punishing schedule, which he kept throughout his career, seldom taking a holiday.

Image caption He was famous for his wild hair, buck teeth, Diddymen and infamous "tickling stick"
    But in 1989 Sir Ken faced the possibility of a fall from grace, during a 23-day trial, charged with eight counts of tax fraud spanning 15 years and involving more than £800,000.

He was later acquitted, but the court heard a range of stories about his eccentricity, including hiding more than £300,000 in wardrobes, cupboards and under stairs.

Taking up his career again on his acquittal, Sir Ken enjoyed another season at the London Palladium in 1990 and won a British Comedy Lifetime Achievement Award as well as being voted Top Variety Performer in 1993.

Swami

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,053
    When I was young we used to tell a joke that went "I heard Ken Dodd died" to which people almost always replied "Did he?" and we would say "No, Doddy".

Maybe he would appreciate that humour.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,983
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,675
    RIP Ken Dodd

Guess i grew up with Ken Dodd and the Diddymen from Knotty Ash

When I was a baby my mum and dad went to see him at a summer show at a seaside resort and my nan babysat for me

he was on stage for more than an hour after the show should have closed and my parents said he had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand with his banter

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,942
    There are very few, if any, stars left with that kind of multi-talented quality. He was a wonderful comedian.

Swami

6. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +365
    When we were younger, I can remember the tongue twister "Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead"

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,942
    Sir Ken Dodd: Fans turn out for comedian's Liverpool funeral
    • 2 hours ago
    Image caption Sir Ken Dodd's coffin was adorned with a floral decoration based on one of his Diddymen
    Thousands of fans of Sir Ken Dodd have joined friends and family to say a final "tatty bye" to the comedy legend at his funeral in Liverpool.

Some waved his trademark tickling sticks in the air at the end of the service at the Anglican cathedral.

There was also a rousing round of applause as his coffin was carried out to the strains of his song Happiness.

Children dressed as his colourful Diddymen characters followed the coffin out of the packed cathedral.

[​IMG]Image copyright PA
    Image caption The Diddymen were characters who often accompanied Sir Ken
    Image caption Afterwards, they got high fives from Bishop of Liverpool Paul Bayes
    Hundreds more people watched the service on a big screen outside.

Earlier, members of the public lined the six-mile route of his funeral cortege, which travelled from his Knotty Ash home to the cathedral.

At one point, a choir sang Happiness as the horse-drawn hearse went past.

The much-loved funnyman died at the age of 90 earlier this month. A private interment followed the funeral.

[​IMG]Image copyright Reuters
    Image caption The funeral cortege was led by a horse-drawn hearse
    [​IMG]Image copyright PA
    Image caption Some fans held up signs along the route of the funeral cortege
    Fellow comedian Jimmy Tarbuck was among those delivering tributes during the ceremony, describing Sir Ken as "our city's hero, perhaps our city's greatest hero".

He said: "I'm pleased for Ken that there's yet another full house.

Image caption A band played outside the cathedral - with the conductor using a tickling stick
    Image caption There were also tickling sticks in the crowd watching on a big screen
    "Was he a good comic? No - he was better than that. He was the greatest stage comedian I've ever seen in my life," Tarbuck said.

"Live on the stage, he set a standard which no-one has remotely approached since."

Actress Stephanie Cole told the congregation Sir Ken was a "genius" who had "treated everyone equally".

Image caption Tickling sticks have been placed on statues in Liverpool, including one of The Beatles
    "He was kind, he was thoughtful, he had a real wealth of knowledge - he was a real polymath," she said.

"And always with a playful child inside him, never far away. I loved to talk to him about the mechanics of comedy and I learned so much from him."

Sir Ken's rendition of the song Special Absent Friends was played during the service.

In another emotional tribute, author, producer and friend John Fisher said: "Ken Dodd was, no contest, the complete comedian, our greatest entertainer. But he was more.

"He was a life-enhancing force of nature. He was a fount of charity, kindness and bonhomie, and a loyal friend.

"We'll never see the like of Ken Dodd again. Thank you, Sir Ken. Tatty bye."

Actors Ricky Tomlinson and Miriam Margolyes, comedians Stan Boardman and Jimmy Cricket, and TV executive Michael Grade were among the other figures from the entertainment world at the service.

[​IMG]
    At the scene
    by Paul Burnell, BBC News website, at Liverpool Cathedral

The horse-drawn hearse arrived to warm applause as Sir Ken's local brass band played a medley of his hits.

Hundreds of people massed outside the cathedral in biting wind to watch the funeral on a big screen.

Young and old sat or stood to honour one of their own. Fans from all over the UK mixed with people on their lunch breaks to share anecdotes and shed a few tears among a sea of tickling sticks.

The service ended after just under an hour and three quarters - short by Sir Ken's standards - with the congregation singing Sir Ken's anthem Happiness and giving the comedian a standing ovation.

[​IMG]
    Meanwhile, tickling sticks were positioned on statues and public buildings in the city in his honour, and flags at the Town Hall, St George's Hall, Cunard Building and Central Library were lowered for the day as a mark of respect.

[​IMG]
    Media playback is unsupported on your device
    Lady Anne Dodd, the widow of Sir Ken Dodd, talks about the tributes paid to him

Media captionLady Anne Dodd, the widow of Sir Ken Dodd, talks about the tributes paid to him
    Sir Ken, one of Britain's most recognisable entertainers, was born in 1927 in the suburb of Knotty Ash.

He died just days after marrying Anne Jones, his partner of 40 years, at their home.

Speaking to the BBC's North West Tonight, she said the support she had received from Sir Ken's fans had been "unbelievable".

Image caption Sir Ken was one of the UK's best-loved entertainers for 60 years
    "I couldn't have imagined it would be as it has been," she said. "We've had a tremendous amount of flowers."

She attributed that in part to the "tremendous empathy" her husband had "with people he knew and people he didn't know".

She told North West Tonight's Roger Johnson: "You look at [the messages] and you know there's so much love there. He loved his audience and he loved what he did."

Swami