Sisters (1991 - 1996)

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Willie Oleson, May 23, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    After quite a few detours (and to think I had almost started rewatching Dallas) I decided to continue with this somewhat forgotten 90s soap.
    There were Emmy Awards and all that but when you think "90s" you think of Melrose Place and Twin Peaks.

upload_2018-5-23_1-27-1.png

I don't know if SISTERS qualifies as "dramady" because the series focuses on the soap-y drama, enhanced with witty dialogue and (sometimes funny) scene enhancements.
    These enhancements are mixed up with what's actually going on in the scenes, but have no effect on the story.

The flashback scenes (the sisters as young girls) are happening in front of the characters and are used to link up a topic or emotion of the present with something that's happened in the past.
    This is the show's weakest point imho, as it can create a very "girlie" mood.
    The other enhancements are used to exaggerate or emphasize a certain problem, atmosphere or feeling and are often taken from famous scenes and movies. Homage scenes, as it were, and I really like them.

The script is extremely effective but that's not always an improvement because there's not much to discover, what you see is what you get. The emotional scenes are very manipulative so I'm glad I'm watching this alone (*sniff*).
    It's a great cast and all the characters are unique and interesting.

So anyway, the story starts with oldest sister Teddy returning from LA together with her daughter Cat.
    Teddy (Theodora) is the black sheep, an alcoholic and a loose cannon but she's determinded to get her life back in order.
    Way too optimistic, of course.
    Her sister Frankie (the youngest) is going to marry her ex-husband Mitch, Cat's father.
    Then there's sister Georgie (Georgiana) whose husband has had a nervous breakdown and walks around in a bathrobe and a baseball cap all day long and karaokes 1940s crooner-style songs.
    Her youngest son is diagnosed with leukemia.
    Sister Alex (Alexandra) suspects that her successful plastic surgery husband is having an affair, but it turns out that he loves to wear ladies underwear and he does it privately in hotel rooms, hence Alex' suspicion.
    And then he's having an affair anyway and his mistress hires a hitman to kill Alex.
    Teddy ruins Mitch and Frankie's wedding day when she arrives drunk and with a loaded rifle and she accidentally shoots Alex' precious crystal collection to smithereens.
    Ex-spouses Teddy and Mitch are having argument-sex, or maybe it was "let's try to be friends" and now she's pregnant.
    Georgie's oldest son is upset because his sick brother gets all the help and attention, I don't think that's a very unusual reaction but, knowing what's coming, it now looks like the beginning of that Really Big Drama. Season 3 or 4, I think.
    Many other things happen, there's also a mother with her own problems,
    According to the preview, Ashley Judd is going to join the cast as Alex and Wade's daughter.

Long live drama!

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +198
    It was a great Saturday night drama/soap. They even had a hang out (the Sweet Sixteen malt shop... even the name is girly LOL).

Ashley Judd was quite good as Alex and Wade's daughter...imho

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    All the females have male names? Teddy, Frankie, Alex, Georgie, is that addressed in the script?

4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    Yes, the father only wanted boys.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    I vaguely remember this show so must've watched an episode here or there. I've wanted to re-watch it for soapy reasons but have never gotten around to it. Maybe now that I'm at the homestretch of Knots Landing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't recall this ever being aired in the UK but a few years ago the whole series was on YT so I started watching it and it was really addictive, if wildly uneven. The actresses has good chemistry, the characters started out being well defined and it had that 1990s soap masquerading as serious family drama vibe that I always eat up

Unfortunately just as I got past a terrible story around one of the sisters and a dodgy psychiatrist, all the episodes got pulled so I never did see it through to the end. I'll definitely have to hunt it down again.

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    It's from season 5, and I remember not liking it at that time.

8. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,423
    I watched it. Georgie was my favorite character, though I liked them all. I don't remember the show being soapy though. Wasn't it more like a Gilmore Girls type of series?

Wasn't George Clooney on this show for a while?

9. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +198
    It was a total soap... even got covered some in Soap Opera Digest. It was a family drama with lots of continuing stories and did other fun things that enhanced the show. It was what Ally McBeal wanted to be only without being so preachy.

The final season was difficult to watch.. it was like a new show in some ways.. but the final episode was pretty good and tied up a lot of stuff.

10. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +40
    At first I thought that this show had never been shown on German TV, but then the premise sounded quite familiar. Well, it did air here after all... The German title was "Ein Strauß Töchter" (literal translation: A Bouquet of Daughters)
    It ran from 1997 to 1999, weekdays in the afternoon. I think I caught an episode here and there but I don't remember much of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    I think the best way to describe SISTERS is "drama combined with feel-good drama".
    There's definitely a lot of American spirit in it and eventhough it's not preachy it shows that the characters always try to do the best thing.

Teddy has a miscarriage and it's dealt with in a tasteful and original way. There is room for tears but somehow the show manages to avoid to become too sappy.
    The humour is hit-and-miss, the characters can be very funny but situation-humour almost never works for me.

Frankie is asked to work on the company's biggest portfolio (kinda like Knots' Richfield account) and then she's being sexually harassed by one of The Account's representatives.
    Just when she's about to file a complaint - because priniciple trumps career - her boss tells her that the client has chosen their firm to handle the Big Account based on the recommendations of the harasser, and because of that she becomes the company's vice-president. So she decides not to mention the harassment.

It's Christmas in Winnetka (and the rest of the world, I imagine) so that means too much presents, too much food and too much family spirit.
    upload_2018-5-28_12-57-4.png
    But this year no-one's in the mood to celebrate (except Georgie) and the fancy, overpriced eggs (laid by happy chickens) turn out to be tainted so there's a mini-mass food poisoning going on.

Rosario worked for rich sister Alex Halsey, before she was hired by Karen Walker.
    upload_2018-5-28_13-20-24.png
    Her room looks almost exactly the same.