Six Feet Under... Again.

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by JROG, Jan 31, 2018.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    I've been wanting to rewatch the show, one of my favorites ever, for a while now. I binge-watched this back when binge-watching didn't exist. It is time to go six feet under again!

It's thrilling not knowing what will still hold up, what you will feel differently about, what you might like better/not like this time around.

The acting continues to be great and everyone looks so young! Of course, Nate isn't as interesting here as he became later on in the series, but we didn't know that then. And Frances Conroy, matriarch Ruth, seems determined to play every scene in a totally unexpected way. A treasure.

Back when I first watched the show, I took it as a Drama, capital D and italicized emphasis. The opening credit music sounded really dark, dangerous, even somewhat scary to me. I (mostly) perceived one of its dimensions. By the time I reached season 3, however, it suddenly struck me as lighter, comical, a little whimsical.

This time, I'm seeing that with the series itself. I hadn't realized how truly funny those beginning episodes are. In my memories, it was somber. The first time watching, the death and the drama grip you - now, it's the comedy.

To their credit, they never let the comedy overtake or overshadow the moments that ought to be serious and head on. But they do take really serious moments and find a way to make them both heartbreaking and laugh-out-loud funny. It's a difficult, nearly impossible task, and they pull it off.

And then, you still have those great, cathartic moments like the end of episode 2, when David cries in the bus that killed Nathaniel and Nate takes his hand and comforts him. Very touching, very sad.

I think this is going to be a great journey.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +359
    One of the best TV shows in the history of television, truly legendary and iconic. It's set the bar really high for quite some time. And the series finale [especially the last five minutes] nearly gave me a heart attack. Wonderful story, beautifully executed, unexpected twists and turns.

• Agree Agree x 2