So what did marchetta intend with krystle twin plot!

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Majorfanofshow, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Well, she wasn't (plot wise) established as a Carrington in season 3--quite the opposite with Mark declaring her marriage to Blake null and void. Evans had now established (herself or also through the direction) the way she played the character as an upper echelon wife, but that is different.

2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    Which was merely a threat to that very status quo.
    In season 2, the door was still open, as it were, but in season 3 that door had closed - with the focus on how to counter-attack Alexis as the new corporate nemesis, and the hope for a new child (and for a while it looked as if that was going to be Danny).
    What Krystle thought, what Krystle wanted wasn't so relevant anymore. She had become a full-on Mrs Blake Carrington.

I'm not saying that it didn't make any sense, but she was at her best as the pensive Krystle - the doubts, dilemmas, inner struggles.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    I agree on both counts actually.

4. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It is not believable for one second that marchetta being official show runner and executive producer had no power! It’s actually a legal and guild thing! Now maybe marchetta decided not to make a big issue out of being pushed out of all the positions she was hired to do but I find that doubtful!

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,291
    Well the Pollocks had final say over her, and the Shapiros would have too. Someone like Marchetta wouldn't have had total free reign while working on Dynasty. I think that's clear when you watch it.

6. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Being named showrunner and executive producer like marchetta was means she contractually had to be at the table at least! But also producers guild rules would mean she had rights to be there unless she was fired. Her story doesn’t make a lot of sense. That she was totally unaware of what was going on. If she wasn’t on set or at least in the writers offices and wasn’t reading scripts not only were her rights as showrunner being violated but she was also violating her contract. There are lots of “no show” executive producers but if you are marchetta and hired to be everything - showrunner, head writer and executive producer becoming a no show? That’s crazy! Bochco of hill street blues or l.a. law or John Wells of ER would have it written into their deals they would write certain amount of episodes a season just so If they weren’t showrunner at the time they could undo something they didn’t like!

7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,291
    I really think you are overestimating Marchetta's role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,132
    Ironic, since there wasn't really any plot, either. :lol:

No, not including the lead in. But the incarceration shouldn't have been any longer than four episodes -- and I would have had it happening simultaneously to Alexis on the throne (had they not dropped the idea).

Oddly, nobody asked me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,132
    Marchetta was not the show runner in S5. The Pollocks were, regardless of their title.

And when Marchetta spoke about the Pollocks' disregard for logic and her storylines being compromised as a result, it certainly rang true in terms of what we saw. And what other short term writer-producers have said, like Rita Lakin.

Paulsen was invited to replace Marchetta for S6 but declined because he'd have no authority over his own ideas and how they were used.

No matter who was brought in as new writer-producers for DYNASTY, the show retained its puerile, lobotomized tone -- and in almost every scene -- from S3 thru S8. That had to be coming from the Pollocks, while Spelling, Cramer and Esther just checked their bank balances and ignored the problems... even when they were publicly addressing those problems.

Esther has mentioned dismissively those "DALLAS writers" -- meaning Marchetta and Paulsen -- as if they were inferior stock, and in order to not deal with the creative pathologies in place with her usual staff, namely the Pollocks. And I've noticed over the years that some fans take this at face value.

[​IMG]

Let's not forget that when Paulsen was courted for a second time in 1988, and was now able to get full control, he told the Shapiros that he had no idea or understanding what the Pollocks were doing with the narrative, and the Shapiros said "neither do we."

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I don’t beleieve so! It would be highly abnormal for a head writer and producer not to know about a plot that happened during their “administration.” And I just checked she was credited with “story by” with Susan baskin for Royal Wedding as well as produced by! That means by guild rules -both producers and writers- she was all over the S5 episodes with Rita.

This doesn’t mean that Marchetta wasn’t an employee whose contract and guild rules demanded marchetta be all over the place while She was credited as writer and producer of dynasty! Saying she knows nothing of the Rita plot is nonsense! She is not aaron spelling! Spelling I would believe didn’t know what was going on on the show but not marchetta.

11. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +175
    In the season bible (written by Diana Gould, not the Pollocks), Krystle is out long before the end. Actually, the initial plans was that she had a nervous breakdown and acted erratically so Sammy Jo would take advantage of this to have her removed from her position of testament executor. In the between, Adam would save Krystle's life so Blake would put him back in his will.

They were creative consultant in season 5 while Marchetta was a producer. The Shapiro were still the show runners in season 5 with Marchetta in second position since she wrote all the storylines.
    From season 6 to 8 and in "The Colbys" it's quite different since they became executive producers.

But in both cases, the name of the Pollocks were never mentioned. David Paulsen never said he had no idea of what the Pollocks wrote but he had no idea of what was written in general.

She did not say she was not involved in the Rita's storyline but that she did not remember it. And you're right, she wrote several episodes with Susan Baskin (2 other writers also helped her promptly).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,291
    It's clear when you watch Dynasty season 5 that Marchetta didn't have total creative control. Watch that and then watch The Colbys and you'll see what I mean.
    Everything on Dynasty from season 3-8 seems to have all been put through the Pollock machine. No matter how good the initial idea it was always going to come out the other end like a McDonalds 99p Cheeseburger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    They were exec producers on DYNASTY and THE COLBYS, which many on the forum claim were vastly superior, so how come they were poison for one and elixir for the other? Marchetta's influence was obvious enough in season 5 with her whole Princess Diana fantasy.

They also killed Cinderella's mother. However, they were also the ones who wrote the bible for season 2 AND molded the character of Alexis, together with naming her--if not for her we would have Madeleine for 6 episodes. Our forum's fairy tale always leaves these out.
    The Pollocks were not suitable people to be show-runners, or exec producers, that much is certain. There needed to be someone with a unifying vision--I think DYNASTY only had this in seasons 1 and 9 story-wise, for season 2 and straight NASCAR Steven is too out of order for my taste despite it being a fascinating season thanks to Alexis. Esther Shapiro should have had that role and she didn't care.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,291
    Well Paul Huson has said that they basically let them do what they wanted with The Colbys, but that they were invaluable in helping Huson and Bast with writing to a "Soap Style" which they weren't entirely familiar with. Huson and Bast had almost entire free reign on The Colbys.
    Nobody had that on Dynasty while the Pollocks were there. It was their show. Sure writers were able to come in and come up with great ideas. However it's pretty clear that the Pollocks "surprise logic plotting" sabotaged many writers work.

I think Joan Collins moulded Alexis more than anybody with a typewriter ever did. And once she was on screen in that witness box even a blind chimp would have been able to see she was much more than a 6 episode character. I wouldn't give them too much credit for way Alexis took Dynasty by storm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,132
    Again, the Pollocks were the show runners from S3 thru S8. Diana Gould and Camille Marchetta had "producer" titles, but they had no power. That's why Paulsen had no interest in coming in for Season 6.

And, yes, Paulsen did in fact say that he had no idea what the Pollocks were doing (and the Shapiros agreed) prior to signing on for Season 9. He said so for an interview for UltimateDallas about a decade ago but, as I understand it, requested the Pollocks' names be redacted after it was initially posted.

(Paulsen watched every third or fourth episode of the series prior to writing S9).

The Pollocks actually exercised more control over DYNASTY despite the mere "creative consultants" title, and less control over THE COLBYS despite being co-creators and cc-executive producers.

The Pollocks were co-owners of the spin-off.

Huson and Bast (as Alexis states above) were the show runners for THE COLBYS. That's why the spinoff was better than the parent series at the time: the Pollocks allowed someone else to run THE COLBYS, while they continued to ruin DYNASTY into the grave.

Well, Esther always credits them with that, but they were "just consultants" then, too. If they indeed can take credit for Season 2 (and Ed Ledding has yet to speak with us) then it was out of hunger, new writers to a new show.... they also proved they could do better work, however briefly, after the mid-Season 6 retooling.

So laziness, as Gordon Thomson said about the writers during the Moldavia fallout, was apparently a huge problem and it shows. And everybody from John Forsythe to little Karen Cellini opined that "the producers didn't know what they wanted", and Kate OMara was told by one of the writer-producers that they "make it up as they go along" (a dreadful error for a serial). We don't know for sure if that was the Pollocks.

Yes. But despite some silliness in S2 (like the race car junk and Logan Rhinewood) the execution is much breezier and more confident, so S2 still holds together. Afterwards, S.A.D. made it harder for that to happen.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +53
    That’s too bad because I would love to know where they wanted that story to go if they had an opinion! But it’s interesting that they would start a plot so close to the end of the season that was entirely designed to be written by the new people hired for season 6! In season 5 its “Sammy jo finds look alike for Krystle and wants look alike to sign over Daniels wealth to her” but the whole mechanics of switching and all that not until season 6. In fact there never had to be a total switch really. Sammy jo could’ve brought Krystle look alike to lawyers office pays Rita off and bye Rita! Maybe? Too bad deblasio died! He was given the job of writing out in script form all of Marchettas ideas with her partner Baskin. Plus whatever the Pollocks and Shapiro’s and Spelling was doing. Forsythe always said “no one was minding the store” but in fact that was marchetta’s job. There was either helicopter minding or neglect.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Because of DYNASTY's revolving door of head writers, it was not unusual for the writer of the next season to be allowed to introduce elements in the last episode of the previous season--for example Paulsen did that in the last episode of season 8.

I don't believe that. If the role had already been written for 6 episodes, many things would have been different, and by the time the show aired they probably would have filmed 5-6 episodes already and written the character out. Plus for 6 episodes they would have gotten a bigger name, something they could not afford for a whole season. Joan Collins may have molded the character later, but that character would not have existed without the Pollocks changing Shapiro's idea, and she always credits them for that.

Yes, I agree on that. The Pollocks could do competent work as writers, but their exalted positions were not ones they were suited for. And they needed to be reigned in/supervised, whereas they ended up being their own bosses. I don't like them for what they did on DYNASTY, I just want to be fair that they did do some good things early on. Shapiro and Spelling just gave them too much power and no supervision.

I think execution has bigger problems than S.A.D., like the wrong production values being emphasized, inconsistent character lines and attitudes, and the surprise plot logic which was the Pollocks' weird almost metaphysical belief in their own theory. But they engaged more and more in that (and I think they were not the only ones taking the show in this weird campy/flashy/hollow direction) the more nobody minded the store.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,291
    Well Joan herself has said that when she got the call to do Dynasty while on holiday in Marbella, it was originally only supposed to be a short gig. So up until she got to California and started filming she was indeed going to be a 6 or 8 week guest star. That all changed obviously when they saw what a kick up the arse Alexis/Joan gave the show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +53
    That’s very interesting and I have read that before and I have read many articles about the production of dynasty as well. The main issue for dynasty post birth of Krystina for krystle was what to do with her that kept her good but kept Evans busy! They wanted to do something. So according to New York magazine pollocks and Shapiro’s and maybe Gould and marchetta - it’s really unclear- that they would create a second krystle! So it’s totally true that as a bridge from fifth to sixth seasons they were ordering marchetta and then Gould to just write a second krystle details totally up to them!!

https://books.google.com/books?id=K...ge&q=camille marchetta dynasty shapiro&f=true

“After the results of an ABC research report on Dynasty came back, "They got hysterical," says Diana Gould.
    Three episodes were immediately re-shot, with new scenes emphasizing storylines of conflict between Alexis and Blake. Scripts were trashed, ideas pulled apart, costly rewrites ordered. Dynasty was being dismantled and reshaped to fit the old style and concept. Producers and writers worked night and day and weekends. "We took Christmas day off," says Eileen Pollock, "but then, about 11 A.M., one of us had an idea, so I got on the phone and called Esther. Then [their producer-husbands, Richard Shapiro, and Robert Pollock] got on, and there we were, the four of us, on the phone for an hour on Christmas Day, discussing Dynasty."”

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  20. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    She said that much later--I think on the Emmy Legends interview. Like Shapiro she loves revising the past, especially if she is touting her own horn, however by the time she came the Pollocks had already written the bible, including the episode where she fires the rifle and the one Krystle loses the baby, and she was offered a season-long contract. But her story makes her even more the savior, which is silly because obviously the show took off culturally once Alexis/Collins arrived, even if the show was not a failure in season 1--if anything it was amazingly constructed in that short season with its only flaw being that it wasn't delivering the ratings punch to DALLAS ABC wanted.

In the I am a VCR book by Marvin Kitman, the journalist shares how Eileen Pollock tried to convince Carlo Ponti that Sophia Lauren would not be good for that role because of the horrible things, including the miscarriage, she would do, and he exclaimed "Sophia would love such a challenge." And the Pollocks were thankful that Sophia Lauren (or rather Carlo Ponti) wanted the same salary whether it was 6 episodes as Madeleine which was the original negotiations for the Shapiro character, or 22 as Alexis after the Pollocks came on board and changed her, so the team moved to cast somebody cheaper.

• Informative Informative x 1