1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

So what did marchetta intend with krystle twin plot!

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Majorfanofshow, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,793
    But there is something to be said for delivery and Joan Collins DELIVERED. Obviously being English certainly helped. There is something to be said in Joan's crisp/upper class punctuation in every word she delivered. Just magic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,736
    All mixed in with brazen hussy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Absolutely. She was perfectly cast as Alexis and the role would not have taken off like that without her. But then again I think the DYNASTY casting director was also excellent in casting Steven, Fallon, and Krystle, as well as Joseph. I think the reason there wasn't that much uproar when Steven and Fallon were recast is that by then their roles and personalities had drastically changed (same with Krystle, who is as if been recast since Evans played her differently later). At least thanks to Collins, Alexis was consistently entertaining.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,736
    Although casting directors find people -- usually for supporting or guest roles -- they think the producers might like, and then the producer may choose from amongst them. Often, the leads are people the producers may already have in mind.

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    I'm pretty certain she said it in her autobiography too.

6. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    But Emmys went with Evans first for actress in a drama! Collins was nominated for 4th season! Isn’t that amazing?!

7. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,793
    By this stage I had switched off from Dynasty. Others (on this site) know my personal feelings on recasts. The torment I had to endure when Miss Ellie was recast was bad enough but Dynasty was notorious for doing this. I thought the casting in season 1 of Dynasty was spot on. I understand many people had issue with the slow burn of Season 1 however in hindsight it worked in Dynasty's favour to establish those characters prior to the arrival of Alexis.

"Enter Alexis" was both the beginning and end of Dynasty. I much preferred the darker tone of Dynasty in season 1 and 2. But after the revelation Alexis had caused Krystle's miscarriage and the catfight which ensued it was if the writers/producers had tapped into what the viewers were lapping up and decided to roll with it. Problem was most other characters were brushed aside to further the influence of Alexis. That's okay but then those other characters (namely Krystle) simply became pawns (punching bags) for Alexis. Her character I believe stifled growth in the series and characters.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,365
    That was the writers' fault, a fictional character can't do that. They found their golden goose so they wanted to show the golden eggs.

It's a fascinating trajectory because you can watch it from different angles. I don't think Alexis "saved" Dynasty in terms of quality because the quality was already there.
    I would even agree that Alexis' flamboyance and - dare I say it - sense of eurotrash influenced the tone of the show. But then they also did "Logan Rhinewood" so it wasn't just her.

But I also think that, with a new common enemy in the house (or at least very near), it was a little easier to see Blake as a free man.
    Plus the fact that they tried to convict him of murder, which wasn't the case. And all these things together neatly put him in a victim's position (eventhough he was still an awful man at that point).
    But it allowed the story to move on including the Carrington patriarch, so from that point of view you could say that Alexis (ironically) helped them to overcome that obstacle.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,736
    Yes, Alexis only stifled growth in the series and characters because she herself was stifled from growing. Can one imagine an Alexis as subtle as Abby Cunningham?

BTW: We have an entire thread about how the "camp" aspects of DYNASTY should have been kept to mostly Alexis alone.

11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    As @Willie Oleson said, it was of course the writers, not the character's fault. We have discussed Alexis' influence in a couple of threads, here and here come to mind, but I am sure there are many others. I think the main problem was that the whole show changed with Alexis. The Pollocks "diagnosed" the show as lacking a villain, since Blake/Forsythe would not play that role (and they were not imaginative enough to use Cecil as more than the Logan Rhinewood idiocy) and Alexis became DYNASTY's answer to DALLAS' J.R. Remember that TV Guide cover of the two of them arm wrestling?

DYNASTY became MORE patriarchal with Alexis, where it was more subversive with Fallon and Krystle, for by season three all each woman wanted was to please Blake. Alexis would have given it all up if he would take her again, as seen in season 3, 6, and then in season 7. And Fallon and Krystle became his lap dogs. In season 1 Krystle was certainly ambiguous toward Blake, and refused to adopt his ethical code, and Fallon was both daddy's little girl and aware of his sexist ways and how he underestimated her.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,365
    He couldn't play that role anymore if they wanted to keep Krystle in the mansion. Not that he became a nice guy as soon as Alexis arrived, but at least he was in a vulnerable position.

Yes it was more fun when demanded to be pleased. But whatever it was that went wrong with season 3 or 4 or 5 has nothing to do with season 2. No one forced them to write the story the way they did, there could have been a thousand different scenarios for Alexis and all the other characters.

Alexis added more story to the Carrington saga, after all it was called DYNASTY.
    Blake's trial was the perfect opportunity to bring her back to Denver, and I'm glad she had all those scenes with the first Steven and Fallon.

Of course I missed Matthew & The Gang but there's only so much story you can tell in an episode, and the Blake/Krystle/Matthew story had already been told.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    As we have discussed, season 1 was building up to the introduction of Alexis, so she was an organic part of the DYNASTY. How they utilized her, is, as you say, a different story. I have said before that DYNASTY burned through plot too fast in seasons 2 and 3, leaving no time for the characters to situate themselves and reflect on what was happening.

But did they have to? I know Alexis shooting that rifle was wicked fun for the writers, but Krystle could have left Blake and THEN find out she is pregnant. She would still be tied to Blake, stay in a separate room for the duration of the pregnancy (especially after the horse accident), and just as the baby is born and we think now they can get married, Alexis brings Mark--a different Mark, one Krystle would be lured to. Or Matthew comes back. There were other possibilities for Krystle. The Nick Toscanni one was just one big formula plot forced upon her.

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,365
    Soap writers usually prefer their characters to live closely together for dramatic purposes.
    What's best for Krystle isn't necessarily the best for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,582
    In season one we saw the world of DYNASTY through the eyes of its underdogs: Claudia, Steven and more importantly Krystle, we still got this in season two but by season three the shift was obvious, Claudia and Steven never stood a chance once Alexis arrived but we still had our main eyes into the Carrington world: Krystle, but with each passing year she was pushed further and further into the corner while Alexis dominated the room, the writers now saw DYNASTY through the eyes of Alexis all the while resenting Krystle and therefore the audience since we could never root nor resonate with Alexis, Krystle's demise is related to the fact that being good meant boring back in the mid 80s, all the Dynasty writers cared about was "beating DALLAS" when in truth for the longest time, it was Dallas beating Dynasty, until both shows destroyed themselves

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,793
    I've debated for a long time they destroyed each other but Dynasty (think Moldavian Massacre resolution) and The Colby's (U.F.O. story) was the beginning of the end of the Super Soaps. Dallas had maintained some dignity until the Dream Season resolution. It was a step too far for most viewers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    I've always rooted for Alexis! And if not for her, then for Rita, but only very seldom for Blake and/or Krystle!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Well, to be fair, the Moldavia resolution was not good (two dead) but that was nothing like a show telling its viewers the whole previous season was a waste of their time. In fact, had the sixth season been good, the resolution would have been a footnote. But there was bad storyline after bad storyline that year. DYNASTY had done damage to itself. DALLAS, on the other hand, made the whole genre a laughing stock. After that when a year later THE COLBYS did the UFO, it was icing on the cake.

I remember rooting for Alexis too (my god, never for Rita or Joel--they were a reincarnation of Peter deVilbis). But that was the problem--in season one I used to feel for characters. I would feel for Steven or Krystle. Then the show turned into a spectator sport instead of a drama, complete with catfights.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    And the crazy thing is I think in all the articles about how Bobby comes back they all mentioned dream season and they all - every one I Read in TV guide and other sources- rejected it as insulting to fans! Before it was even shot! They knew! It’s not like dynasty was testing evil twin plot or only killing two people or whatever!!

20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    When Dynasty S6 first aired in Germany, i was about 11 years old, that was the first season i could fully watch. So it's not like i had a chance for something different! :lol:
    Maybe that's why it is my favorite season up until today due to the huge nostalgia factor, it was simply my very first. ;)
    The attic-stuff was just awesome at the time and everyone at school was talking about it the other day after it aired. That was an amazing time! :kiss:
    And when i first heard of THE COLBYS spinoff, i went crazy, because it aired on a cable channel, but we didn't have cable yet :hair:, so i had to convince neighbours who had cable to tape it for me every week, it was so exciting to get the recorded tape back the next day and watch THE COLBYS with a logo of a channel we didn't have! :spinning: :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1