So what did marchetta intend with krystle twin plot!

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Majorfanofshow, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    What a great era to be watching programs like Dallas, Dynasty and others. I can recall many times taping something on the VCR (because I use to wake at 4am to begin work at 5, so it was early nights for me) and couldn't wait to get home from work and watch the previous nights missed episode of something. There was such excitement around television in those days. I honestly couldn't tell you when I last taped anything off television.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Agreed.

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,132
    TV is very, very competent these days, but almost too much so --- there's a slickness now I find impressive but off-putting. It's weird.

Then again, in the self-conscious '80s, all I found very exciting were the nighttime soaps, and even they deteriorated infamously.

4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Sums up the 3 commercial networks here in Australia. Once upon a time when viewing a personal favourite TV Series - during the commercial break, I'd remote surf, curious to know what was happening on the other channels. Today it rarely happens. If I could prove it I believe there is collusion going on between the networks as their commercial breaks appear to correspond with others. But there is no originality, or attempt to try something different today here in Australia. It's all become a bit bland. If one network finds success with a reality type show the opposition will create something of similar nature. It's a desperate attempt by the opposing network to lure viewers without the risk of stepping too close to the edge.

I had high hopes for Channel 10 here in Australia after the American media giant CBS purchased the business. Several months later and nothing has appeared to change - if anything it's gone backwards - and the ratings are proving it.

Where is the originality? Where are the brave decision makers? And kill off Home & Away and Neighbours already. Reguitated plots but with differents faces.

I suppose my argument could also apply to the 80's when Dallas became this international juggernaut. CBS had this cash cow on their hands and ABC clearly wished to have their own. But despite Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest and Knots Landing telling a similar story each series had a different tone.

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Knots Landing for me was actually very different. Yes it had its wild super-soap moments around the Galveston storyline, but overall I thought it was more relationship-based and more character-based than the other shows.
    I thought (maybe because of the score by Bill Conti?) early FALCON CREST had a lot of Dynastic qualities (at one point some UK satellite network was advertising it as such--SKY?) but then it also took on other DYNASTY qualities--aka the multiple personality disorders.

I hate when a show uses a narrative device that works for it--for instance DAMAGES and the time jumps and then a gazillion shows jump on the bandwagon. Like, just try something different for heaven's sake.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,385
    What kind of originality are you looking for? Because I feel like I'm watching hit after hit after hit (not necessarily the most popular titles).
    There are disappointments every now and again - those series that I expected to like but didn't (not necessarily because they're bad shows, sometimes the characters just don't "click" with me e.g. "Bloodline")

One of the biggest disappointments was Once Upon A Time. I honestly didn't think it was possible to do everything wrong: the story, the casting, the characters, the sets. But they did it, oh how they did it. Sometimes I watch a clip on youtube so I can revel in moments of pure hatred and disgust.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Willie my grief is with the 3 Australian commercial networks. One minute they're crying to the federal government because they feel they're not protected from outside influences, like Netflix for example. My attitude to those networks is boohoo here is a tissue. Those very same networks desserted viewers years ago. Purchasing overseas content never to see the light of day or not purchasing anything at all. Is it any wonder aussies are amongst the highest percentage of people in the world illegally downloading or streaming overseas content. Commercial networks here have this insatiable appetite for even more reality nonsense and it's not enough to screen it prime time (evening) they then drop it throughout the weekend. That's some kind of filler. These same dimwits then cry poor because advertising revenue is down. Really? Tell me why.

A little while ago I finally subscribed to Netflix. I've rarely watched commercial television since and if I do it's only to watch the nightly NEWS. I'm coming across some real gems on Netflix.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,347
    Heh, I feel kinda bad now, because I enjoyed OUAT when it first came out. So much so, that I made a wish that it would get 7 seasons. And it did. So you can blame me for that, if you like. :lol: The ironic part is, though, that I got sick of the show by the 4th season and just stopped watching. I haven't even bothered with youtube clips.

But I got my wish. I suppose that counts for something. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jermaine

Jermaine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I watched OUAT too and while I never became a true fan, I did quite like the first 3 seasons. After that it was yawnsville and I stopped watching after season 6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Well, I have to correct my earlier assumption that maybe season six writer Gould introduced the Rita storyline at the last episode or two of DYNASTY's fifth season. I rewatched "Photo Finish" yesterday, and Rita appeared there--before Sammy Jo even has a fortune to inherit and before Daniel Reece has even been declared dead! This is 7 episodes before the end, so it is apparently something written into the fifth season arc rather than a last minute tag to help next season's storylines.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 1:57 PM
  11. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yes, Rita is featured in 4 episodes of season 5.

12. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Yes, an excellent analogy of a daytime plot NOT working well in a nighttime format.

• Like Like x 1