1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Commentary In TNT Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Kenny Coyote, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    I noticed in the original Dallas forum some people like social commentary in the show and some don't. If you like social commentary, what issues would you have liked to have seen addressed in TNT Dallas and why?

2. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +76
    How about the Metoo movement with JR and Sue Ellen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    I liked the social commentary through all the character development and relationship stuff. And I liked the political stuff, like dealing with foreign countries and the environment and such. I thought they could have gone deeper into that. Methane isn’t exactly new nor renewable or environmentally friendly, it’s just more abundant and clearer than oil - and is big oil really going to just roll over and let Chris Ewing wipe them out of business? I don’t just mean big American oil companies but countries like Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and Russia who rely on oil and gas exports. There was a lot there they introduced and could have ran with.

4. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    I didn't get the idea he would have "wiped them out of business." Methane isn't new, but as I recall, Christopher was working on inventing a new way to extract methane. Wasn't there a big problem with Christopher's process though? I seem to remember the way he extracted methane caused a massive earthquake.

Other people have come up with alternative forms of energy like solar and wind, and the oil industry hasn't been wiped out of business. Phasing out oil entirely is a long process; it's not going to put the oil industry out of business anytime soon. It doesn't even have to put them out of business at all. For example, suppose the Ewings own Ewing Oil and it's become the biggest oil company in Texas. Then Christopher learns how to extract methane in a way that's safe, and provides a less expensive, more abundant form of fuel than oil. It doesn't wipe Ewing Oil out of business; they just get involved in that new methane business while still continuing to deal in oil. Maybe eventually Ewing Oil comes a company that doesn't even deal in oil at all anymore - they get to a point where all they deal in is methane and maybe solar energy too. Ewing Oil hasn't been put out of business, they've just adapted to the times and transformed into what they needed to become to remain a successful, profitable business.

Sometimes an invention comes along that has profoundly impact on an industry. Was the big telephone industry going to let the people who invented cell phones run them out of business? Once the public decides it likes cell phones better than landline phones, how would the landline phone companies stop them from wiping them out? By somehow preventing cell phones from being sold? Having Congress declare cell phones illegal? No, there is no way they could have stopped cell phones from all but wiping out landline phones. You can't stop progress. Their only reasonable option was to adapt by also getting into the cell phone business

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Yes I got the feeling they implied Chris was going to put them out if business (which I totally agree with you on your take on the reality). But it would still bring up interesting geological issues. For example, they implied it would increase the supply of gas global significantly and thus drive down the price. Good thing for consumers. Businesses like Exxon, American businesses, can adjust if they can get at Chris’s patent, but what about a country like Russia sitting in what could be trillions less in natural gas reserves? They don’t seem friendly people to just watch such a thing happen and in that there’s a politically interesting story to tell.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    OK, let's suppose that Christopher's methane extraction process legitimately had the potential to devastate Russia's oil and natural gas industry. How do you envision them reacting? One way they could take it the story is the Russians would just copy his process as closely as they can and say: "We don't give a damn about your patent. You don't like it? Too bad. Sue us."

That's one way it could go. What would you envision for the story they should have, or at least could have told?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  7. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    I don’t think they’d go that way, because the result is the same, lower cost of natural gas through higher supply and lower price of petroleum through decreased demand. What a country like Russia would want is Chris dead and his process shelved.