Somehow I missed this back in the day ...

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by James from London, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Medals:
    You know the relationships on the new Dallas inspired me to make this little fan video. I think it sums itself up perfectly. :Clol:

I agree with you though that John Ross and Pamela Rebecca should have been the love story. They could have driven the new show. The actors were great, they had chemistry and everything worked. Except they didn't spend enough time building them up as a couple before breaking them down, which made it hard for me to care enough to ship them.

I think the main problem with Dallas TNT was in the writing/pacing. On the original show they had 22-31 episodes/seasons. On the new one they tried to cram as much into 10-15 episodes. It just didn't work. It got to the point where character depths was thrown out the window in favor of yet another crazy plot twist.

You don't remember Johnny Dancer do you?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    I recognized the song eventhough I don't really know it. Is it Bodies Without Organs?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Medals:
    Well recognized. It is in deed the singer from BWO. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Medals:
    Johnny Dancer was a clear cut case of self defense. Cliff didn't go to his hotel with the intent to kill him.

In the case of Pamela Rebecca and his unborn grandchildren, he intentionally had the rig blown knowing they were on it. And that was his family.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Medals:
    You seem to be implying that I wanted every character from the original to return, and that's not the case. It was a next generation Dallas, yes. So when episodes/seasons focused more on drug cartels, Ann's kangaroo trial and the Rylands, Nicholas and the Ramos family, etc., than John Ross, Christopher, and Pamela Rebecca, the next generation feel was lost. Hell, they even killed off Christopher after season 3! Bobby's son Lucas was never seen or mentioned, nor was Ray's daughter. Yet we got several episodes all about Ann's daughter.

Obviously you need new characters to interact with the Ewings and Barnes's, but they were often the focal point and not the periphery. The show also seemed to have an identity problem. Was it Breaking Bad? 24? CSI: Dallas? Original Dallas? It tried to be everything to everybody, but it didn't quite work. Cidre's "delicious" moments often took the place of organic character development. Hence Cliff's logic-defying transformation and Pamela Rebecca's overdose. She also admitted to writing backwards from her cliffhangers. This is particularly noticeable during the Pamela-Sutter-is-actually-Pamela-Rebecca-reveal. Of course, there was also the promise she made to preserve the continuity, which was just lip service.

Again, I get that some people liked new Dallas just as it was and felt the new directions it went in were necessary. Outside of a few scenes, it simply wasn't pure enough for my tastes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    Ann Ewing's daughter. That's not just "anybody".

But I guess it's hard to beat Charlie Wade.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    Interesting how Patrick knows his Dallas history. He picks up on this continuity error and also the Cattle Barons Ball instead of the Oil Barons Balls. He contacts Cynthia regarding this 30 year secret only for her to ignore Patrick and continue with the story anyway. This says a lot about the showrunner. By continuing with this story she was thumbing her nose at those most passionate about Dallas. This then has a negative trickle effect as those passionate about Dallas will call her out on such a glaring mistake which then winds up on sites like facebook, youtube and soapchat. What's that saying about creating a small snowball and rolling it down hill?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Medals:
    Both of whom made their debut on new Dallas. I don't know, maybe flesh out and develop the original next generation characters first before delving into Ann and her extended family.

They did the same thing with Nicholas Trevino and the Ramos family, who they ridiculously tried to shoe-horn into the timeline of the original show. Were they not just "anybody" too?

Or, you know, Bobby's biological son. But I suppose that would have infringed on Mama Ryland snorting coke and a drug cartel terrorizing people. Now that's Dallas!

9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    It's what I believe was missing from TNT Dallas, a strong foundation to build on. I know others had issues with Ann but her sudden appearance as Mrs Bobby Ewing was a little jarring as well. I understand there would have been changes to relationships with the Ewings of TNT Dallas, after all, this version continued the story when we last left the family in 1991 as the newbies were told to ignore the reunion movies. That's a gap of 21 years and things change. The producers also argued this was about the next generation. I'll buy that but people also wished to see that "beautiful bastard" JR Ewing weave his magnificent manipulations at kicking that Barnes woman out of the henhouse. Then of course Pamela Rebecca is fending off her father and mother.

But despite it all John Ross and Pamela Rebecca remain strong. No affairs and definitely no threesomes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I know. It sounds a lot more like Breaking Bad than Dallas, doesn't it? I think a lot of people at that time wanted to try to emulate Breaking Bad in an attempt to have the same kind of success but don't do try to do it with Dallas; that's just blatantly screwing the fans.

TNT Dallas started out with advantages such as an already loyal fanbase from which to build upon and the blueprint for an incredibly successful formula already at their fingertips. All they had to do was watch the episodes of the original, learn from them and build from there but they couldn't even be bothered to do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Medals:
    Placing them as the steady couple was nice but perhaps we could have had flashbacks as a means of learning the back story of their romance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Medals:
    Indeed. There's no doubt that new Dallas often tried emulating other contemporary shows like Breaking Bad. That has nothing to do with "changing with the times," and everything to do with trying to cash in on the flavor of the month. I get the impression that original Dallas fans who also love new Dallas like that it's subversive and different from the original show.

I think it's fair to say most fans of the original series were expecting a purer show. In contrast, the recent boom of sitcom continuations have stayed relatively true to their original shows.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,204
    Medals:
    Our talented Cidre did have another major success after nuDallas ... what was that called? Oil and Blood? Or Blood and Oil? And how long did that last?!
    Great track record! :Clol:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Right! It has nothing to do with "changing of the times." It either about cashing in on the flavor of the month as you put it, or it's about something I've said before and still believe to be the case - the people who were put in charge of being the producers and writers of the show only took those positions so they could prostitute the Dallas name to further their own agenda which was creating their own show about the kinds of things that interested them such as drug cartels and characters they created, such as the Ramos family. They prostituted the Dallas name to increase the visibility and publicity their own show would get and to ensure themselves that a much larger audience would be tuning in than otherwise would have been to watch the debut of their show - their creation - not a true Dallas continuation (which is how it was billed).

I truly wish that the people in charge of producing and writing TNT Dallas had had as much love and respect for the original Dallas as so many of the members of this site do! There are a number of people who post on this site who I believe would have done a far better job of creating a Dallas continuation for TNT than the actual people TNT hired to do it.

• Winner Winner x 4
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Medals:
    :giggle: I am sorry to admit it but I actually prefer Charlie Wade over Emma Ryland. :embarrassed:
    I know she is not a popular character but watching the show for the first time as 11 years old I found it easier to relate to 15 year old Charlie than some of the older characters so I've always liked her.

I did like the new Dallas characters though. But I wish they had spent more time on character development over plot twists. Like for instance when Pamela Rebecca killed Tommy I wanted her to go to trial for it but it was just swept underneath the carpet and instead Ann went to trial for shooting Harris.

Also when John Ross propsed to Elena I got to look forward to the wedding for like 20 minutes before it was off. Those fast plot twists made it hard for me to invest in the characters and couples.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    I would have put my hand up as an "Executive Consultant." As long as my expenses were paid for like, flights, accommodation, food etc I would have relinquished my pay cheque. Hell if TNT could grant $100,000 to blow up a car I'd be cheap by comparison. Plus I would have been in the presence of legends; Larry, Linda and Patrick. :omg:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Medals:
    I disagree. I think they handled it poorly starting with ignoring the movies that yes weren’t very good but they should have never been ignored anymore than an entire season was. To make the same mistake was horrible from day one. That would have left JR as the patriarch much like Jock has been, give him West Star, with Ewing Oil and a Koch Brothers like Ewing Industries with Bobby and we’d be off and running. Give JR the big house, Bobby the cottage out back and the cattle business and protect the land in a Family Foundation headed by Bobby, Gary and Sue Ellen. Let Bobby take on the Miss Ellie role - never taking sides and we’re ready for a fight. John Ross verses Christopher. And get them over the teenie bopper crap of switching partners. John Ross wants Pamela but has Elena (Teresa’s neice). Christopher wants Elena but has Pamela (who he knows is Cliff’s daughter - that hidden thing was stupid). Then switch - not some 90210 game. Then bring in Lucas - always good to have a third in the middle, especially one who comes with his own complicated story. And a granddaughter of the Andersons for him. Make Harris Ryland, Jeremy Wendell’s son and hot damn we’ve got Dallas back. Enter Governor Sue Ellen Shepard.

• Like Like x 2
  18. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Medals:
    Could have had that too. Bobby could play Miss Ellie’s moderator role but with Jock’s tempter and JR could play Jock’s interfering role with Miss Ellie’s subtleties. And we could have easily had a recognizable house. (Sorry the 2nd pic was too dark to make out).

19. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Medals:
    The shame is TV execs can’t see that and also see that the fans did show up from day one, putting two and two together should say there’s a show to be made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Medals:
    Harris could have been Wendell’s son. Ann could have been the Andersons granddaughter. They could have continued the movies with JR in control of West Star. Elena could have been Teresa’s neice. The house could have looked something like the original inside. I agree with Patrick that it strayed to far from the original but it also started off that way. Fact is the original drew a huge audience and CC’s adaptation drove them away. I liked a lot of it, even the drug cartel stuff, but way too little of Dallas was left and the partner switching was too jarring.

• Like Like x 1