Someone just answered a "Dallas" question incorrectly

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Mel O'Drama, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,000
    I had a chance to stop by Cliff Barnes a few years ago and it was fun to see! It was fairly early on a weekday, so not many people were there, but apparently it gets a good crowd on the weekends. (I actually chose Stockholm as a stop on a European trip from the US because I'd randomly run across the fact that there was a Cliff Barnes establishment there - maybe I googled 'Cliff Barnes' for some reason? ..not that one needs an excuse to visit Stockholm!)

At the time (I think August 2015) there was a Sue Ellen bar/lounge a bit closer to the city center, and of course I dropped in for a nice stiff vodka drink! I'm not sure if that was the same as the current lunch place.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    Medals:
    Yes indeed. And along the same lines I have memories from the Eighties of people people on quiz shows being asked "Who shot JR?" and more often than not the answer was "Sue Ellen". And this was way before Sue Ellen did eventually take her turn. I'm fairly sure I've even seen "Bobby" given in response to that one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,312
    Medals:
    That's cool that you chose to go to Stockholm just to visit the Cliff restaurant. :D
    I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Sweden. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    Medals:
    I got a fairly easy question wrong while watching an episode of The Chase repeated tonight. The question was...

In my zeal, I found myself reflexively calling out "The Seventies" and wincing when the contestant took a guess at The Eighties.

And then, a second before confirmation, I remembered the Pilot would indeed have first aired on this side of the Atlantic several months into the Eighties.

Oh... the dirty, filthy shame of it.​

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,000
    interesting - a trick question that would generally only trick a real fan who knew Knots came out in the US at the very tail end of the 70s!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    Medals:
    Well, when you put it that way I feel a bit better. ;)

I'm sure you're right. A casual (or non) viewer would associate both Knots and Dallas with the Eighties and probably assume that they both began and ended during that decade.

7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    Medals:
    In a round of this evening's repeated Celebrity Pointless, eight British soap stars were shown cast pictures of Dallas (the shot on the Southfork Lawn, as on the S1 DVD) and Dynasty (Blake and the female ensemble, as on the S2 DVD) and asked to name the least well-known actors from them.

I immediately had Pamela Bellwood pegged as a pointless answer. Correctly as it turns out. But I was very surprised to find that Pamela Sue Martin and Jim Davis were also pointless. Nobody present named any of them. In fact most people seemed to struggle with the round. They did manage to name Larry, Patrick, Charlene, Joan C., John F. and the two Lindas. And one person incorrectly took a punt at Farrah Fawcett.

• Like Like x 2