Sons & Daughters

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Oh, God, I've never wanted any character murdered as much as I want Susan.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +952
    If my memory serves me correctly, later era Susan (the one with the new head) is a bit more exciting than the original model. Alas, you've a few hundred episodes of the current version to get through first.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    David wants to repaint the house! "It looks a bit pokey!"

And Beryl insists it looks just fine.

They're toying with us!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Well if anything is going to make a house look pokey it's paint colours of various shades of shit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Her opinion is invalid because she thinks her hair looks just fine.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    So who's still watching and where are you all up to? I am 40 something episodes in now.

7. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I'm on episode 43. Things got busy, so I haven't watched in an entire week. Another marathon session will soon commence! Beryl's brown walls are calling out to me.

8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    We are up to about the same place now. :) I was the same didn't watch for over a week then had a binge the other night.

9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I take it we can't post spoilers on this thread? Shame if so, as there are some classic, unintentionally hilarious episodes and cliffhangers worth posting here - especially one involving a certain cast member's shocking encounter with a vacuum cleaner......!

11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Some really lovely pieces of music there... Shame they are all but dead now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I bit the bullet and started watching. Somehow within a week I've zoomed through up to episode 28. I really didn't remember or expect a cheap and cheerful Aussie soap from 1981 to be quite as fast moving and addictive as it is and all the better is the fact that (so far) it still isn't missing any of the beats with the characters. The central concept of the Melbourne/Sydney split and hazy history between some of the characters has meant that I'm pretty much beside myself when certain characters meet for the first time or confront each other. Patricia/Fiona is definitely up there on that score.

I find Susan and Kevin/Lynn pretty dreary so am FFing through most of their stories and don't feel that I'm missing anything... Interestingly although I remember finding Beryl quite endearing in a frumpy sort of way, she's really pissing me off on this watch. Passing her opinions on everything and the terrible, terrible advice she was doling out to Susan to basically shut up and be a housewife. Fascinating contrast in the limitless ambition of David's first love (Patricia) and the complete poverty of ambition in the woman he ended up with (Beryl).

My concern is that this first stretch of the show is so taut and rich because it was planned out meticulously in advance. One the months roll on, I'd expect the machinery of running a soap opera to start poking holes in the show a little bit.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Going in for another little binge tonight. Just have to say how much I really hate Susan again. The way she carried on about that little kid playing with her letters is just THE WORST. Who the f**k cares about your letters to your murdering jailbird husband? Nobody! Certainly not that little kid with the train set. If you are so worried about the damn letters why don't you do what normal people do and keep them some place private where nobody would be able to see them. But no... That would be too normal for that piece of shit, crying sad sack troll. She has to have something to moan about and couldn't possibly let a kid play in her house without screaming blue murder and being a grade A asshole. I want Susan to burn to death in her dirty skirting boarded house. But I will just bide my time and wait for the re-cast. Hopefully she's not such a sour faced moan of bitch.

In other news does anybody else want to go for a ride in David's truck? No? Just me?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Ohh... David and Beryl are going to buy a new house. I hope it's not brown.

15. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah I'm not going to lie re: David, that had crossed my mind. But then Beryl appears and the thought drifts...

I've just passed the eps where Susan has met Angela for the first time and although I knew that she could only possibly be a complete bitch, she surpassed all my expectations. Literally having to get dragged out of the room, shouting and wailing. Thankfully I can vouch for the fact that in the long distant future, second Susan is not remotely as offensive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Patricia's friend Charlie is fabulous isn't she? I want her to move to Denver and be Alexis' catty best friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Did you know that "Sons & Daughters" had a German remake? "Verbotene Liebe" (Forbidden Love) ran from 1995 to 2015.
    The first year or so had basically the same storylines and characters as the original Australian soap, only of course slightly modified (different character names etc.)
    The Brandners were a working class family from Cologne, while the aristocratic von Anstettens lived in the city of Düsseldorf. Jan and Julia were twins separated at birth, and there the story began.

[​IMG]
    Julia and Jan as played by Valerie Niehaus and Andreas Brucker.

The original cast consisted of the following characters:

Jan Brandner (1st actor: 1995-1997; 2nd actor: 2011-2012) = John Palmer
    Florian Brandner (1st actor: 1995-1997, 1998; 2nd actor: 2002-2004) = Kevin Palmer
    Susanne Brandner (1995-1997, 2005-2008) = Susan Palmer (Susanne later came out as a lesbian)
    Arno Brandner (1995-2012, deceased) = David Palmer
    Iris Brander (1995-1996, deceased) = Beryl Palmer
    Julia von Anstetten (1st actress: 1995-1997; 2nd actress: 2011-2012) = Angela Hamilton
    Clarissa von Anstetten (1995-2001, 2011-2013) = Patricia Hamilton
    Christoph von Anstetten (1995-2000, deceased) = Gordon Hamilton
    Henning von Anstetten (1st actor: 1995-1996, 2nd actor: 1998-1999; 3rd actor: 1999-2002, deceased) = Wayne Hamilton
    Barbara von Sterneck (1st actress: 1995; 2nd actress: 1995-1999) = Barbara Armstrong
    Gero von Sterneck (1st actor: 1995; 2nd actor: 1995-1997, 1998-1999) = Simon Armstrong (Gero was the first gay character on VL)
    Kati von Sterneck (1st actress: 1995; 2nd actress: 1995-2001) = Prue Armstrong
    Anna Konrad (1995-1997) = Lynn Hardy
    Fiona Beckmann (1995-1996, deceased) = Fiona Thompson
    Sophie Levinsky (1995-1997) = Jill Taylor
    Charlie Schneider (1995-2015) = Charlie Bartlett

Around 2007/2008 ratings began to fall. Eventually, "Verbotene Liebe" was cancelled in 2014, but was later revived as a weekly series in 2015. Because ratings were still awful, the show aired its final episode on 26 June 2015. Charlie Schneider was the only character who remained from the beginning to the very end.

More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbotene_Liebe

This was the very first episode:

18 years in 18 minutes:

Ad for the "20 Year Anniversary Box":

The same concept happened with the Australian soap "The Restless Years" which inspired the Dutch version "Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden" (debuted in 1990) and later the German version "Gute Zeiten, Schlechte Zeiten" (debuted in 1992). Both soaps are still airing as of today and are the most-viewed serials in their countries.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I haven't watched for so long, Patricia phoned me (what else?). I heard the phone click twice and then she said, "It's me, darling, watch the damn show!"

Of course my first episode back would be Susan-heavy. But, guess what? I kinda loved her in this one! She kept calling Mick's young son Stevie a horror, a nightmare, and a monster -- to his face!! You rarely see everyday people, non-villains, be so vile to kids. Oh, that was fun. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  19. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I too have been drawn back to S&D land over Christmas and have now broken the ep 100 mark. Fast forwarding through anything that is overtly focused on Kevin/Susan/Lynn has helped me achieve this questionable milestone but frankly the rest of the stories are also hugely compelling.

Naturally the most interesting stuff continues to be led by Patricia and I can already see they're at risk of Rowena Wallace burning out. The character has had around three arcs so far, spinning in and out of the Palmers' lives in Melbourne and now entering an Alexis Colby phase in the business world. I'll avoid spoilers but I've absolutely lapped up her and Fiona being thrown back into each other's orbits due to a lover they shared in the late 1960s... Her relationship with Charlie is great too - clearly brought in to give Patricia a "talk to" character but she's got a great personality. It's also really interesting how she encourages Patricia to enact her schemes but doesn't really come across as a villain in her own right.

20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Oh wow.... It's been like 6 months since I have watched Sons & Daughters. I have made a decision, tonight I go back in.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)