Sophia Loren As Francesca Gioberti

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,326
    Many years ago I remember reading that Sophia Loren was originally considered for the role of Francesca Gioberti but producers were unable to reach an agreement with her to join the cast. How do you think Ms Loren would have been in the role?

I'm sure the part would have been written differently for a different actress but I find it hard to imagine Sophia doing the tarantella, which was one of the most memorable scenes from that season. I think Sophia would have been more business like and serious and perhaps more menacing to Angela and her empire than Gina was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,924
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Here is Sophia´s take on Francesca Gioberti, in her infamous Tarantella scene...which Sophia would consider "terribly tacky, mamma mia!"

[​IMG]

"And now, people, this is what
    true Giobertis are made of...!
    Take your damn second-class
    grapes and shove´m!!"

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    'TPTB' of DYNASTY also wanted Sophia to join their cast. Had the popular Hollywood icon got the money to play Angela's estranged sister we could have got into another 'behind the scenes' Lana Turner like scenario. Despite this it would have been nice to see her in the role. I could not have envisaged the tarantella featuring either. Sophia's Francesca might have been more involved with Gustav Riebmann a.k.a. Jean Louis de Bercy.

The Gioberti family vineyards in Italy are infested with 'Black Rot'. These are the same vineyards Angela's grandfather Giuseppe took vines from in the late 1800s, to start up Falcon Crest. Newcomer Francesca the rightful 1/3 owner of Falcon Crest arrives in California, to get the money she needs to eradicate the disease. There is an informal meeting happening in the living room of the mansion, between Angela and her new found sister. A party happens later which gives the Italian sister a chance to meet other interested vintners, (a scene from season 4, 1984 - '85):

Francesca: "I need money to save our vineyards in Italy."

Angela eyes up the opportunity: "Well why don't you sell your share of the estate back to me? Then you would have the money you need and I would have my land."

Francesca: "Your lawyer Reardon can he handle the necessary papers?"

Angela: "Of course, we will talk to him together."

Chao-Li joins their company; providing them with vintage Pinot Noir, before he takes the sisters to the party.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +493
    Sophia as Francesca would have been interesting. There probably would have to be an office in the winery, just for Francesca though. What would Angie have thought? We might have even heard some of Sophia's memorable quotes adjusted for Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,924
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Sophia loves spaghetti, so she probably would have given Angela & Co. a crash course and then there is study chair, now Francesca would have had to try it out for size.