Southfork's Hogge Drive

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    Ouch those maps really shows how much of the once rural area that is now urban. No wonder that there's a 6 lane highway outside of Southfork these days. :(
    If memory serves me right it wasn't there in 2008 so it must have been expanded in the last 10 years. It makes photographing the ranch from the road a bit tricky.

2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +817
    Medals:
    This is aimed at folks on the board who enjoy a peek behind the scenes. You might be wondering, "Why did that area suddenly explode with development? Why did everybody wait so long?" The answer in Texas is WATER.

You need water to develop property. We have plenty of oil, but in some parts of the state, water is even more valuable.

So you will see a town like Parker, Texas. And there are a few big ranches but no urban development. Until a big water deal is reached, and all that pent-up demand lets loose like water breaking through a dam (do you see what I did there?)

So, @Rove if you hit the lottery do not invest in oil. Invest in water.

Well, if you invest in Texas, anyway. And I'll buy you a steak dinner at the cattleman's club to celebrate!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +802
    Medals:
    HGTV got the six actors who played the Brady kids together to renovate the house used for exterior shots on the Brady Bunch. They've gutted it, put on an addition, and are remodeling the interior so that it looks like the studio set. I wish they would do this with Southfork. They made a half-assed attempt to match the rooms to the characters, but it was poorly executed. I'm sure it would be impossible to make the upstairs look like the set without a large second story addition. However, I think they could do a reasonable job making the first floor look similar to the set. They would obviously have to gut it and start over, but it would be nice to walk in the front door and see the entry with the rounded staircase, the dining room on the right, and and the living room on the left. The back of the house would be harder to match, but I'm sure they could work their magic. It might be a challenge, but it would be fun too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +802
    Medals:
    I was in Texas in 2006 to visit Southfork, and I thought the water tasted awful! It made even the fountain pop taste funny. I hope they've at least done something about that by now.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,042
    Medals:
    They could even do the upstairs, as long as they leave out John Ross' room and that guest room across the hall from him. The remaining bedrooms would have to be smaller, obviously, than they appeared on screen.

The downstairs rooms are totally doable. Lorimar could have bought up the property in 1990, as it was available and lay fallow for couple of years. But nobody probably thought of turning it into a tourist attraction at the time. And when they did, not much focus was placed on the house itself. And to the developers, "Dallas" and "Southfork" are only useful to them as name brands -- they've probably never seen the show. Y'know, like the producers of TNT's nuDALLAS.

I still say Jeremy Wendell poisoned the Southfork aquifer circa 1984 --- that's why the Ewings started seeing multiple Ellies in their year long dreams.

As one YouTube commenter said: "So tacky inside. What a disappointment."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I actually like the interior. I would make it a little more contemporary, but for the most part, I like it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +802
    Medals:
    Yeah, that would probably work.

Exactly. It's just a cash cow to them, and they know people will visit whether the interiors resemble the set or not.

Speaking of TNT Dallas, I'd like to forget that Southfork set ever existed. What a horrendous piece of crap that was both architecturally and stylistically.

So I have Wendell to thank for that foul tasting water. I should have known! And here I thought it was that water buffalo McKay's fault for polluting Green River with his dam!

Those were my thoughts exactly when I toured the place. Beautiful on the outside, but tacky on the inside.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019