Spending money on Christmas

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    I wish that I could spend some money on my parents and friends, buying nice presents for them. But this year I have to hold tight to my money. I won't buy any new decorations or spend a lot of money on food etc.

How do you solve the issue of money during Christman time when you don't have much to spend? Any good ideas of how to make the best of a tight budget?

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,672
    I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but money has no objective value. $10 could be a lot to someone and nothing to someone else. For that matter, the same could be true of 1 million. The one thing that is worth the same to all is time--we all have the same finite amount, whether rich or poor. So I find that to be the best gift--to give someone my time, and engage in an activity with them, even an ordinary one like watching a film or going to a museum or a park, which I know they will enjoy. For my elderly parents, especially, I am acutely aware of how finite time is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That Snowy Girl

That Snowy Girl Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,600
    Have family and friends get together with everyone bringing a dish to pass. Then put all the names of who is coming and draw them for a Secret Santa gag gift priced at what you can afford.

Time with your family and friends is really what counts.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,356
    Medals:
    I've never been a big one for receiving big gifts, even as a kid. And in recent years, the family -- what's left of it -- has agreed to keep presents and their costs to a minimum... cookies and cards, at the very most. It's frankly cozier that way.

5. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:
    And we already have everything we need and want. It's only interesting for children because they don't have money to spend.
    We do presents for St. Nicholas (December 5) instead of Christmas, but of course the same idea applies.

6. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    All good suggestions, very logical and sane. My problem is that I live next door to my parents. I see them every day. We have dinner together 3-4 days a week. Giving them my time will not really be any different from any other day of the year. I already help out with dinner, doing the dishes, washing etc and vice versa.

I wish I had my friends close by, but they don't live close. Inviting them over requires long travels and a hotel (since my place is too small for overnight guests). Plus, they celebrate with their families.

This is why I am wondering what to do. I guess I just have to do the same old same old. Be there, like every other day. But to me, just that doesn't make it feel like Christmas. It would have been more Christmas if I didn't live so very close to them and spent the entire holiday with them. But they already expect me to be there, cause where else would I be? Alone?

And that's why I wish I could buy them something special.... :)

7. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,288
    How about making a video of all your family clips, maybe put it to some background music, a song that means something to them, or that speaks volumes of the love for your family. Or maybe do something with old photos, create a slideshow again, with some music.

Maybe do a collage of various photos and get it printed on something. We have various online photo printing at low costs, just putting something on a cup, a coaster, a pillow, cushion, basically anything these days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    If only I could, if only I could. We have no video clips of us. None of us like being taped. Mum and dad also hate being photographed. You would not believe how difficult it was to find a photo of them on my computer, Facebook or Instagram when I wanted photos of them in my new phone (pictures for the contact cards)!!!!!!! It's absolutely ridiculous. :lol: You'd think they are wanted criminals, afraid of being photographed so they won't get caught by the police.

We have ONE family photo, and that's already up on the wall in a nice frame. One in my 36 years on this planet. They refuse more. My parents - Bonnie & Clyde...

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. Sparkly Lashes

Sparkly Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,679
    Medals:
    A friend of mine makes me a gift every year, it feels extra special because she has given her time and thought about what I really like, She makes chocolates (adds ginger for mine) and puts them in a jar, similar to this ...

[​IMG]

She also makes a cookie/biscuit version.

Another idea is to make a simple hamper, such as a jar of your Mum/Dads favourite coffee along with a good packet of biscuits/cookies and include a nice cup or a small gift hamper of toiletries or favourite sweets. If you wrap them prettily they can look impressive.

[​IMG]

It doesn't need to be as large as this one ^^^^ for me its the thought and effort someone has put into a gift to make it personal and not the expense :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    Our uncle converted all my grandfathers old cine cam home movies from the 1960s through to the early '80s for us and put them on a memory stick along with hundreds of scanned family photos and documents. It meant that each of us had a big chunk of family history and a good resource to go back to. I thought that was a great gift that money cant buy. It was personal and useful and also just great to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    I would get a friend to take a family photo then and have it framed in a really nice frame. I think you all need that in your life.

12. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    Also I do agree that gifts are really only a big deal to kids at Christmas. Most of us buy the things we need and love for ourselves. Of course the gesture of gift giving is nice but it doesn't have to cost the earth. I also live at home still and so see my mother and stepfather every day, as well as one of my brothers every day. However that doesn't take anything away from being able to spend time with these people at Christmas. I still love Christmas and being with my family at that time of year. I love decorating the tree and the house. I love the cooking of the big meal. I love setting the table, all of it. For me Christmas is about being at home, relaxing with family and eating.

As far as gifts go, my mum likes a particular brand of perfume and it's expensive so I try to buy that earlier in the year or when I find it on sale. I often buy it in the summer when I am on holiday at duty free. Then it's not something I have to worry about at Christmas time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    I would love that, but my parents always refuse. "No photo". Not even for my sake.

14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    That was a great gift. My family also have several old super 8 movies from the 1960s to 1980s. We have not had them converted yet since it's such a high cost. But two years ago my sister and I bougth a new used projector for our parents on Christmas so now we can at least watch the old films again. It's been such a joy to rediscover them. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    With these home movies my grandfather had paid to have them converted to VHS in the 1990s and so it was easier to put them on a memory stick. It's totally worth doing though. At least you can actually watch them now you have the projector.

16. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    But what if that is all you want for Christmas? :)

17. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    Then I still wouldn't get it. :lol:

18. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    Put yourself up for adoption.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    Then I know exactly who I should ask to be my new parents.