1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spotting Knots Landing Gold Coins

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Jimmy Todd, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I'm sure this post has been done many times before in one way or another, but it's Knots Landing, so I don't think it ever gets old.

I was recently reading a book about writing in which the author suggested dropping what he termed "gold coins" throughout the piece. These are little details that just subtley reveal or hint at something, but don't ostensibly advance the plot.
    Knots Landing had the most of these "coins" of all the big four soaps, imho, and I love spotting them. Here are three I can think of at the moment:
    In season 4 Valene and Lillimae are discussing something in the kitchen. Valene pours herself a glass of orange juice, turns for a moment and Lillimae casually picks up and drinks it. Val just shoots her a withering look, but the conversation continues without any comment. (I love this entire season. One gold coin after another.)
    Jill leaves a forged suicide note from Val in the Mackenzie's front door after she has forced Val at gunpoint to swallow sleeping pills. Mack and Karen are busy with their own problems, and when at one point Mack opens the door, the note blows away in the wind, unnoticed and never found.
    After Val recovers from Jill's "murder by suicide" gambit, she's in the kitchen at the Mackenzie's and in comes Abby. Abby comforts her and gives her a hug. I don't think they had another scene together until the reunion, and we never know for sure if Abby is being sincere or if it's part of her "new Abby" facade to misdirect everyone from her latest scheme.
    Anyone have any other "gold coins" they picked up from KL?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,660
    I'd have to think on this further (and I'm sure I will!), but one that immediately comes to mind:

Laura is pouring tea for everyone; when Ruth holds out her cup, Laura nonchalantly sets the pot down and continues talking with everyone else. Ruth doesn't call her out about it, and I don't think anyone else at the table even notices.

• Like Like x 2