Stan Lee Has Died

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Angela Channing, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,956
    Medals:
    The comic writer Stan Lee, co-creator of Marvel comic characters including Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Daredevil and the X-Men, has died aged 95.

The legendary comic book author died at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on Monday after a medical emergency, according to Variety magazine.

In recent years, Lee had periodically suffered from illnesses, including a bout of pneumonia, US media reported.

Bob Iger, chairman of the Walt Disney Company, which bought Marvel Comics for $4bn (£2.5bn) in 2009, called Lee "a super hero in his own right" in a statement.

Lee was also known for making a cameo in every Marvel film, though he had left the Marvel company in 1972.

[​IMG]

Stan Lee: Marvel Comics legend dies aged 95

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    A very charismatic man. I grew up reading Marvel Comics and Stan's voice came through strongly. Early issues of FF, ASM and X-Men - all penned by Stan - are full of some angsty, flawed characters and some great lines ("With great power there must also come great responsibility").

To me as a young Marvel reader he was the face of the comics. Hearing his avuncular tones at the start of Marvel cartoons in the Eighties added to the excitement.

Last year I read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, which was a fascinating read. As expected, Stan was quite the loveable old narcissist, and I had my eyes opened about some of the dynamics at the Bullpen. His feud with Jack Kirby is the stuff of legend.

His enthusiasm never seemed to wane with age. Quite the opposite. He was clearly having a ball with seeing the characters reach their maximum potential - and audience - with the MCU in the last decade. And all the films were completed by the Stan Lee cameo.

He was a large and special part of my Marvel Comics experience.

Excelsior, Stan.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,991
    Medals:
    Sad news indeed. I don't follow comics too closely but I briefly met him in 2012 when he was almost ninety. He was very positive and always had time for his fans. He left the world a better place.

4. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Medals:
    Not a comic book fan, but I do recall him guesting on many an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

RIP

5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,143
    What an amazing life. He will long be remembered. R.I.P. Stan.