Star: A Hollywood Saga

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Toni, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I´m going to re-introduce you my oldest fanfic (as the previous thread must be somewhere on the net...). I started to write it in 1983/84 approx. I was finishing high school and, along with my best friend, we thought it would be great to have a supersoap like "Dallas" set against the background of the Hollywood film industry.

Here´s some info about the main characters and the actors who represent them in my mind and who have often inspired me. The series is finished: it has a beginning and an end, a Pilot longer than usual, and then the "standard" episodes (if we can say this about fanfics). Like most supersoaps, I turned to self-centric episodes at first with subplots going on too. I also tell the past story of the main couple (Scott and Andrea) not in flashbacks, but in special episodes (which, of course, are a long flashback in the style of the movies of their respetive eras).

Within the 26 episodes of the first season I narrate the past of the family, husband, wife and four siblings, until the present, which is not in current time, but happens in the 80´s. It begins in 1980 and ends in 1990. If you like them, I will publish the whole story of 150 episodes, with 6 cliffhangers (sometimes even midseason cliffhangers before they were trendy). Some actors are not famous or well-known anymore, but in this forum there are a lot of movie buffs who are interested in actors and films and especially TV series of all kind and times. It may also attract you if you like the glamorous miniseries of the 80´s. And yes, Joan Collins is in this, too.

Take a look at the Episode List here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/imperioewing/home/star-a-hollywood-saga/episode-list

And here´s a little introduction to the main protagonists:
    https://sites.google.com/site/imperioewing/home/star-a-hollywood-saga/star-family-portrait

• Like Like x 2
  2. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    This video promo has been posted before, but I guess it´s on the net limbo too. I decided to put my planned fanfics together in a thing called "Supersoaps Universe" (is the name familiar to you?) as a way to launch all of them at once next month of October, and then, month by month (minimum), one episode of each.

One would be the aforementioned "Star", aside from my long-running "Dallas" sequel "Ewing Empire" (you know, the one that happens in an alternate universe where the TVM´s and TNT Dallas didn´t exist!! And Victoria Principal is in it!!).

I will also publish the first part of my midquel miniseries, which unites the events happened after J.R.´s suicide (in 1990, minus the Dream Season year), and the events that happen in the beginning of "Ewing Empire". This 5-part Miniseries is titled "The Last Years of Southfork" and tells us such storylines as the last months in Miss Ellie´s life, the way the couples Pam-Bobby, Ray-Donna and Cliff-Afton were reunited, the legacy of J.R. and his death´s impact on his sons John Ross and James, and the return of old-time favorites like Sue Ellen, Lucy, Clayton, Dusty, Jeremy, and Cally. Gary and Val will make appearances once in awhile, because I have "melted" both Knot-verses, so to say: here Bobby is alive but also are their kids Bobby and Betsy.

I have been working on a "Ewing Empire" spin-off which, of course, is a "Knots Landing" continuation (which, in this case, does respect the events from the last Miniseries). The title is "Return to Knots Landing" (no originality I know), and it will be develop at the same time than my current EE stories. Now Gary, Val and Lucy and her family will move in to the Californian coast (not exactly the same spot though...). Can´t say more about this one yet.

More info about all these stories here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/imperioewing/home/fanfics-coming-in-2016

Here is the first teaser for the "Supersoaps Universe"

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    And now, exclusively for my Soapchat friends, three all-new video promos for "Star: A Hollywood Saga". The author is the poster known as E-Julian (he also was in the gone forum but I brought him back!). At first, we focused the promos as teasers for a never-seen real soap. More promos are on its way, now clearly as the new supersoap about Hollywood producers, stars and singers! Please tell us what your opinion are about our planned fanfics and about the videos.

• Like Like x 2
  4. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Great memories from the glam 80's and our shared high-school madness Dear Toni! Glad to collaborate in the video editing and promotion department for STAR.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,290
    It is sad your stories were lost here but your site is awesome too.

You should post your stories again on here. I love your writing, and your videos are awesome.

I look forward to your stories being posted again here. ❤️

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    Jessie, actually I only lost one little chapter of my last episode, that´s all (did you read the scene between Ray and Barbara after his arrest? I´ll repost it here soon, along with the rest of the eppi). Thanks a lot for your kind words, it´s very sweet from you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,965
    I'm very curious about those cliffhangers!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    Really? I must say I did write them first in many cases! We didn´t get a lot of info about US TV in Spain in the early 80's. I was inspired by the plots of classic melodramas and "adapted" some of them very subtly (or so I thought). Once I watched all 4 major supersoaps, around 8 years later, I think I had only a couple of "original" storylines all in all...ahem. But what is different now, is the fact that it does happen in the 80´s, and there a few nods to events from the decade (eg Liz Taylor´s character Andrea congratulating an almost unknown Meryl Streep at the Oscars for her second win...).

Anyway, I guess I also eventually got the "fever" of multi-cliffhangers a la "Falcon Crest" or "Dynasty" in their middle years. The more the better. I can tell you some subjects that will be dealt with a certain depth inside the melodrama or soap opera it is: parents vs. children, consequences of being adopted, admitting one´s sexuality (whatever it is), need of having a baby as a single mother, a very lite version of S/M relationships, half-black people unable to accept their skin color (as dumb as it may sound, there was Michael Jackson in the 80´s, wasn´t there?), dramatic films vs. FX blockbusters, the rise and fall of video in the industry, co-dependency in addicted people, black-listing at the 40´s decade and consequences, casting couch, retired classic stars who come back in primetime soaps (ahem...not so subtle here), Hollywood and its Mafia connections, phony political campaigns (a la "Scandal"), and many more...

...No need to say that all is spiced up with family dysfunctionality, blackmails, bribes, heartbreaking, gossip, unexpected arrivals, secret relatives, shootings, plane accidents, and what not. Say one thing, and I probably did it... (I wonder if I said too much in this post...)

I hope to count on you as a reader Willie! The Pilot will "premiere" here in 2 or 3 weeks tops.

[​IMG]

Meet Andrea Stevenson, the matriarch​

• Like Like x 3
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,965
    Power, passion, greed, lust and outrageous cliffhangers - I love soaps! It will be interesting to read your fantasies, especially since you wrote them in the 80s.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    Oh yeah, I was a too imaginative teenager, I tell you! It will be the first time I share this fanfic with somebody else, aside from my bf from high school, who helped me a lot to develop the concept...Stay tuned...;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,965
    Still very tuned here...

I hope there's no trouble with the casting. Is Ms Taylor asking too much money? Perhaps Joan Collins is available?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    I´m very flattered by your interest Willie! No, actually Ms. Taylor is an angel (or she must be up where she is!), but Collins (who plays her younger sister) has asked for more screentime, otherwise she´ll pull a Moldavia (what must that be...?). Keep tuned, you´ll be rewarded...and ask for more. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,965
    :jolly:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,877
    Hi Toni,

You've managed to make me curious about your story. 150 episodes is a lot. I can only imagine all the time it must have taken you to write this.

Also kudos on your trailers. It was very clever to say that the reason Elizabeth turned down Dynasty was so she could star in this "unknown" 80's soap opera. I love that promo. :)

Take care,
    Love:
    Karin.
    x

• Like Like x 2
  15. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    I already posted on the "gone" forum a little character guide to follow the first season of my story more easily. I´ll try to define them very succintly and also introduce the actors who "represent" them, in case you don´t know them. Keep in mind they were "cast" in the 80´s so their looks should belong to the year the episode is set in (in this case, 1980-82):

[​IMG] upload_2016-10-21_1-0-2.jpeg upload_2016-10-21_1-1-57.jpeg

- ANDREA STEVENSON: Former movie star, married to Scott and mother of their four siblings. Played by ELIZABETH TAYLOR (1932-2011; "The Mirror Crack´d", 2 Oscars for "Butterfield 8" and "Who´s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", 4 Golden Globes, and 2 BAFTA´s). Last seen in "These Old Broads".

- SCOTT STEVENSON: Prestiged Hollywood producer, owner of Stevenson Productions. Played by RICHARD BURTON (1925-84; "Circle of Two", "Lovespell", 7 Oscar nominations, 2 Tonys, 2 Golden Globes, 1 BAFTA and 1 Grammy). Last seen in "Ellis Island".

- JONAS STEVENSON: First-born of the Stevenson family, twin brother of Angie, married to Arlene for 2 years. Aspiring playwright. Played by GRANT GOODEVE (1952; "Eight Is Enough", "Dynasty", actor and singer). Recently seen in "Devious Maids" and "Redeemed".

upload_2016-10-21_1-2-25.jpeg [​IMG] upload_2016-10-21_1-3-42.jpeg

- MARIA STEVENSON: Adoptive daughter of Scott and Andrea, born in Mexico. Casting agent. Played by LOIS CHILES (1947; "Moonraker", "Dallas", actress and model). Last seen in "Kettle of Fish".

- LISA STEVENSON: Youngest daughter of the Stevensons, currently finishing high school. Aspiring actress. Played by GENIE FRANCIS (1962; "General Hospital", Bare Essence", 1 Daytime Emmy and 1 SODA for her role of Laura on GH). Recently seen in current episodes of "General Hospital".

- TOM HAYWARD: Lawyer and only son of Jack and his first wife. Member of the Managing Board of Stevenson Prod. Vietnam veteran. Played by HARRISON FORD (1942; "Star Wars Trilogy", "Indiana Jones Trilogy"; 1 Oscar nomination, 1 Golden Globe, 1 BAFTA, 1 César and 3 People´s Choice). Recently seen in "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and "The Age of Adaline".

To Be Continued

• Like Like x 3
  16. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

- JACK HAYWARD: Top executive linked to Stevenson Productions for 50 years. Father of Tom and Emily. Played by BURT LANCASTER (1913-94; "Atlantic City USA", "Local Hero"; 1 Oscar and 1 Golden Globe for "Elmer Gantry", and 2 BAFTA´s). Last movie (mini-series): "Separate But Equal".

- ARLENE STEVENSON: Wife of Jonas, divorced from her first husband and mother to a teenager son. Fashion designer. Played by JULIE ANDREWS (1935; "Ten", "S.O.B."; 1 Oscar for "Mary Poppins", 5 Golden Globes, 2 Emmys, 1 BAFTA and 1 Grammy). Recently heard in animated films "Shrek Forever After" and "Despicable Me".

- EMILY STEVENSON: Daughter of Jack and stepsister of Tom. Also member of the Managing Board of Stevenson Prod. Convinced feminist. Played by CHERYL LADD (1951; "Charlie´s Angels", "Grace Kelly"). Recently seen in "Ray Donovan" and "American Crime Story".

- STEWART MARTIN: Recent boyfriend of Maria´s. Employe at her sister Barbara´s campaign for Senate. Played by RICHARD GERE (1949; "American Gigolo", "An Officer and a Gentleman"; 1 Golden Globe for "Chicago". Actor, producer and musician). Recently seen in "The Benefactor" and "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel".

- RICK: Future love interest for another of the Stevenson daughters. Actor and model. Played by MARK HAMILL (1951; "Star Wars Trilogy"; 1 BAFTA for the video game "Batman: Arkham", where he voiced "The Joker". Actor and singer). Recently seen in "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and "The Flash".

- NATHALIE BEAUMONT: Scott´s niece, resident in Paris, France. Art student and aspiring actress. Played by NASTASSJA KINSKI (1961; "One from the Heart", "Cat People"; 1 Golden Globe for "Tess". Actress and producer). Recently seen in "Sugar".

- ANGIE STEVENSON: Jonas´s twin sister. Famous pop singer. Played by SHEENA EASTON (1959; "Miami Vice"; 2 Grammys. Singer and actress). Recently seen in "Romances of the Republics".

[​IMG] [​IMG] upload_2016-10-21_1-13-2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,965
    Who's the mother of Jack and who's the mother of Emily?
    Is Emily married to a Stevenson that hasn't been presented yet?:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    (I just love your interest Willie!) Actually, the Haywards (=the antagonist family) are not as relevant as, let´s say, the Barnes on "Dallas". The "mothers" will not be relevant (I think one of them was dead and the other divorced), only the fact that both siblings are from different marriages of Jack´s. What matters here is what Tom will do from now on, and also what Jack might have "done" in the past (maybe there is some heir/ess out of wedlock?). Anyway, I do take note of your questions and will answer them in the initial episodes. Thanks for your feedback!

;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    Episode 1: "Family Portrait"

upload_2016-10-22_0-11-54.jpeg

Prologue:

(Voiceover with the camera panning the seaside in Malibu Beach, California.)

Lisa: For most people, movies are just entertainment. A way of escape from reality. For us, it was a way of living. Movie industry and show business in general allowed my family to make their fortune for three generations. We used to live right here (the camera shows a space between two properties full of rocks, sand and debris). Our home was called Sundown. My mother suggested the name to my father when he was planning to build it. "...Because that´s the way I´d like to finish my days, looking at the sunset, with my husband by my side."

We were not the typical Hollywood family, though from the outside, we might seem so. Our family was built up with love, respect and strength. We cared about each other very deeply, though we didn´t always bother to show it. But one day, everything changed. Someone came into our lives and thus began the disintegration of our family. We never suspected that some kind of things could happen to us. And suddenly, tragedy hovered over us. This is the story of my family, and how we changed throughout ten years. My name is...Lisa Stevenson."

To Be Continued

• Like Like x 3
  20. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    Act 1:

upload_2016-10-22_0-43-25.png

(Aerial shot of Sundown, from the distance, getting closer and closer to the mansion. The title "Star: Family Portrait" and the credits are shown over the images of the big house and its surroundings. Afterwards, a subtitle is overimposed: "Malibu Beach, California. Summer of 1980." Close shot of a middle-aged woman who arranges in two vases the flowers she has picked up from her garden. Her name is Andrea, and she is joined by her youngest daughter Lisa)

Andrea: Good morning, Alison. It´s such a beautiful morning...
    Lisa: Yes it is... (She rolls her eyes and sits at the table, pouring herself a glass of orange juice and begins to drink it)
    Andrea: Oh I hope you remember what day today is...
    Lisa: Sure I do. Jonas is coming home with his new wife Arlene.
    Andrea: I´m glad you remember. Tonight´s supper is very important for your father and me. We haven´t seen Jonas for two years now, and I´m sure we want to make a good impression on his wife, don´t we?
    Lisa: I don´t know about you, but I just don´t care. I wonder why he´s been hiding her for so long.
    Andrea: I guess he´s been waiting for the right time. Maria will also be here tonight, so please don´t be late.
    Lisa: Do you know anything about Angie? Will she honor us to spend the weekend with us?
    Andrea: Oh I certainly hope so, Alison. I planned a big party for next Saturday. I want all our friends to meet Arlene...
    Lisa: Well, I must be leaving...Irene and I will go to Venice this morning to see a new Drama school...Oh and please, Mum...stop calling me Alison. I told you that I adopted the name of Lisa last year. Professionally and personally. (Lisa kisses her mother´s cheek and leaves the place in a hurry)
    Andrea (smiling a wide smile and shaking her head): Of course, my darling...my little baby Alison.

To Be Continued

• Like Like x 2