1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

TNG Star Trek The Next Generation.

Discussion in 'Star Trek' started by Alexis, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    I've been ill the last two days and stuck at home bored and I'm blaming it on the fever but I started watching this on Netflix. I was a fan of this show back in the early '90s when I was a kid and used to watch it after school. I had fond memories of it, but when I started re-watching it it doesn't really live up to how I thought it would be. I have watched the first 7 episodes and now I am wondering how they can get 7 seasons out of this idea. I am hoping the first season is the shaky one where it has to find it's feet and that it improves.

Don't get me wrong, it's not awful but it's just not as good as I remember. The storylines in these first few episodes are really silly and almost everything has been ship bound. There only are about 5 sets on the ship so it gets pretty dull after a while. It's a bit like been stuck on DYNASTY's La Mirage in space. Yes the ship has windows... But it's the same thing.

Seeing an old show like this on the big screen is weird too. You can clearly see the ship is made from plywood and things that are supposed to be hi-tech are badly painted and covered in stick on plastic. lol

Some really goofy and ridiculous episodes too. I really hope it improves. I used to think that this was the best of the '90s Star Trek series. Now I'm thinking maybe that was Voyager.
    Anyone else a fan of the show? Any sign that things will get better?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    I don't recall really enjoying the fist season, but I do remember totally loving it as the story continued. I think the real game-changer came when they introduced the Borg.

I wasn't keen on many of the characters at the beginning, I think it was probably Data and Deanna Troi who got me through the early seasons.

Will Riker annoyed me for the best part, but both Worf & Picard won me over

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    Oh crap! How could I have forgotten about Tasha Yar - she was the best thing about season 1

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    I saw some early episodes rerun here recently, too. They are a bit stilted but I think it improves as the characters are fleshed out and they broaden out the storylines.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    Yes, S1 and parts of S2 were very stiff and far away from what TNG later became, when it all felt more like family. That time, shows with potential still had the possibility to find themselves and this is what's happening in the first two seasons. But it grows into that great show it later is and it's still my favourite of all sci-fi shows. Have all 7 seasons on Bluray disc since the day they released them a few years ago in HD. :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    Oh, I'm so tempted right now.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    It's worth every single cent, i give you my word! :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    Well I'm glad to be informed it does improve. I was sure it would, but now having to slog my way through about 20 episodes that are mediocre is gonna be hard going. I made it to episode ten and it's funny that they keep using the same sets and props for different planets. I'm also enjoying some of the guest stars. The alien from the pilot episode has went on to become Cersei Lannister's creepy Dr Frankenstein Maester. And Teabag from Prison Break popped up looking like he just stepped out of a Duran Duran video. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    All the Star Trek series are on Netflix at the moment, I guess as promotion/anticipation of the new show.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    Also... My Riker crush has come back with a vengeance. lol :oops: :embarrassed:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    I had a Wesley crush from S3 on at the time it first aired. Will Wheaton is just 2 years older than me and i thought he was (and still is) quite cute. Seems everyone hates him, but i always liked him. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    My crush and oh that very seductive voice

[​IMG]

She stayed on top until I met Seven

• Like Like x 4
  13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    What? Nobody crushed on Ferengi?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,479
    I loved it, how the hair of Crusher and Troi became more beautiful with every single season.
    They both look soooo great in S7. I wish they'd done one more regular season rather than that "Generations" movie.
    That really pissed me of, although i was glad to finally have Whoopi G. back. But i'm sure she would have been in S8 then as well.
    I've read that in the final year she was too busy with other stuff to appear, and that she was sad about it.
    She really wanted to be on Star Trek quite badly and literally threw herself to Roddenberry for that. I love her!
    There's a great interview with her on youtube from this year's Star Trek convention, it's quite long, but she's so adorable and answeres lots and lots of questions about her time on the show and how much she loved it. Very funny, intelligent and likable person that Whoopi is! :)

It's so sweet when at 48:15 the "other" Guinans are invited to come on stage, that brought tears into my eyes! :spinning:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    Just watched all of this. Great interview and great little story about how Patrick Swayze fought for her to get the part in GHOST.

• Like Like x 2
  16. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    I'm watching it for the first time too... I'm towards the end of Season 1 and some of the episodes are a bit of a nuisance to get through. But I have seen a couple of later episodes and I know it improves vastly, so I'll be patient. I hated Picard originally but he soon won me over. Data, Worf and Riker also are great. Troi could improve but I like her, the Doctor and La Forge.

Oh she certainly as hell was NOT! Hateful actress. :eek::eek: lol

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,149
    :huh:

I loved her character, but know nothing about the actress. Why was she hateful?

She turned up in THE WALKING DEAD and I was chuffed to see her again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    As in, she can't act to save her life. I hope her subsequent work helped her improve. The character, I suppose, has potential....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    The rest of the interviews from that convention are really entertaining too! I'm watching them now. I have 4 episodes of season 1 left.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,465
    I always wanted Deanna Troi to flip out on those men and take control of the ship, using her mind-reading powers to explode Picard's head and turn Riker into a babbling eunich. Not sure why...I always thought Marina Sirtis's exotic look was more suited to being a ball-busting villainess. In the Show in My Head, all that touchy-feely 'empathetic' crap was just her biding her time until she could stage her coup. It would explain why the ship's computer had her mother's voice.

• Winner Winner x 1