1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TNG Star Trek The Next Generation.

Discussion in 'Star Trek' started by Alexis, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    I think that listing is of their ranks when each character first appeared but some of them were promoted during the run. Worf in particular started out as Yar's assistant, then became Chief, then switched to Command track and then to DS9.
    I agree. DS9 overlapped with the other two at each end of its run but is more of a sequel to TNG; Voyager is more like starting a new story.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Yes those ranks are the ones the crew hold when we first join and Worf does go on to take Tasha Yar's position but he's still so low ranking compared to Troi and Crusher.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    Something else that puzzles me.

Picard hits his badge and calls Worf to his ready room - does only Worf get that communication, or does it go out to everyone?

There's no code involved, he just says "Mr Worf come", or "Doctor Crusher report to the bridge"

Could they be wearing earplugs? I often wonder when a conversation is taking place through the badge, does everyone else around them hear that conversation?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Season 4 episode 5, Remember Me is one of my least favourites so far. It just seems silly even for Star Trek.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    I always thought that the computer waited to see if the Captain or whoever would mention a crew member by name before making the conversation private? Otherwise all communication would be to the entire crew. And that the badge somehow works also like wireless earphones. But then that's just my thoughts. lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    I like Crusher, but I can't recall really enjoying any episodes that centred around her. She's great as the ship's doctor, but not strong enough to take the lead. I also find it strange when she takes command of the ship.

Ha ha!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    I really enjoyed the episode Reunion which focused on all the Klingon stuff but I was a bit miffed that K'Ehleyr (I had to google the spelling of that!) is gone. I liked her appearances on the show and she was especially good in this episode. I was hoping it would have lead to a more beefed up role and more appearances. No such luck!

It really feels like a full on Space Opera now. The whole theme of the season is clearly family, we began with Picard's then Data's and even covered Beverly and Wesley's feelings over his father's death and now moving onto Worf's family in a lot of detail. Meeting his earth parents, and his son and seeing his partner murdered. It's all a bit brilliant!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,555
    "Remember me" is one of my favs of the whole show. It's so cool how she is arguing with the computer and tries to figure things out. :D
    Plus i also love "Sub Rosa" which everyone else seems to hate, but i'm fine with that. I like the whole atmosphere, her in that house with that ghost - it's such enjoyable trash. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    I also didn't like the episode where Deanna lost her empath powers. She just needed a good soapy slap around the face. lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    This could have been a much better episode for me if it wasn't centred around Crusher, I realised at this point that I wasn't keen on the character getting lead roles in an episode.

12. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    I'm watching the season 4 episode First Contact and I wonder if anyone can explain something for me?
    The Enterprise is about to make first contact with this planet because the inhabitants are highly intelligent and are on the brink of discovering warp travel or what not. And so they have Riker on the planet with a surgically altered appearance so he looks like one of the aliens. Ok, I get that.

Now here is what I don't get. How come the alien race speak excellent English? That is spoken language on this far off distant planet who have no knowledge of Earth? Who haven't travelled deep space? How the hell did they learn English? And secondly how are they unaware of the Enterprise? If they are so intelligent how haven't they noticed a Star Ship orbiting their planet?

I can always buy it or understand it when Klingons or Romulans or other aliens can speak English. These races have been at war with the federation and sometimes entered into peace negotiations with humans and so they have come to learn the English language. Here these aliens have no idea about earth or humans and yet they all speak perfect English. Annoying!

13. Seaviewer

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Their positions are more senior. Crusher is head of her department and Troi as counsellor is a close advisor. Worf does get promoted when he takes over security and again in the Generations movie.

They don't always bother to explain the technology but there's a device they carry called the Universal Translator.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    I remember this being explained, maybe in TNG, but wondered if ENTERPRISE covered the subject.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Seaviewer

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    It was introduced in TOS so I think it was in all of them.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    I fear I'm going to deep with this lol. Though when Riker is in the alien hospital he has none of his Star Fleet equipment with him. They take away his badge and phaser. He is still able to speak with the aliens.

Yea it's all starting to make more sense now. It's just a bit weird sometimes when I see Crusher take control of the ship or suddenly start accessing stuff from the computer like a badass mofo! :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    I've finished TNG and after reaching teh end of season two with DS9, I continued with the film series and watched GENERATIONS. Next I will be continuing with season 3 of DS9 and the more I watch this the more i know you would enjoy it much better this time Alexis.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Season 4 episode Night Terrors is a bit of a stinker... very dull.

19. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    upload_2016-11-10_23-37-2.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seaviewer

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Which episode is that? If it's a planet with previous contact experience I'd guess that the hospital staff would know English. Of course the possibility of continuity error can't be ruled out. ;)